Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
I recently ordered an aftermarket Pioneer CarPlay deck and am waiting for it to arrive and I'm wondering about how the Apple Music CarPlay experience is. My understanding is not all Apple Music features show up on CarPlay- for example the For You and New tabs aren't on the CarPlay music app.

My question is: can I still navigate the Apple Music app on my phone while connected to CarPlay? So I can explore from, say, For You and play something from it?

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I recently ordered an aftermarket Pioneer CarPlay deck and am waiting for it to arrive and I'm wondering about how the Apple Music CarPlay experience is. My understanding is not all Apple Music features show up on CarPlay- for example the For You and New tabs aren't on the CarPlay music app.

My question is: can I still navigate the Apple Music app on my phone while connected to CarPlay? So I can explore from, say, For You and play something from it?
Good timing for your question.

Starting with iOS 9.3, CarPlay will support the New and For You sections in Apple Music along with a Nearby feature in Maps for discovering the best local restaurants, coffee shops and more.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Apple Music works just fine on CarPlay. I have a Pioneer head unit as well. For You and New are not available (coming in 9.3)...you just have access to aritsts, songs, albums, etc.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The For You and New tabs are getting added to CarPlay with iOS 9.3. So it won't be too long till you'll have access to it directly from CarPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.