Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular Wi-Fi home audio system manufacturer Sonos has supported direct streaming of Beats Music since the music service's launch in early 2014, but the company has repeatedly stated it will not initially support Apple Music when that service launches this week. Apple Music senior director Ian Rogers confirmed late last week that Apple Music will be coming to Sonos "ASAP, but not at launch."

sonos_beats.jpg

Earlier today, Sonos confirmed to The Verge that it is working with Apple to bring Apple Music to Sonos systems by the end of the year. Apple joined Sonos in confirming the plans to BuzzFeed.
"We're working together to make Apple Music available on Sonos before the end of the year," Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr told BuzzFeed News.
Apple Music launches this Tuesday, June 30 with the release of iOS 8.4 and a new developer seed of iOS 9. Apple's free Beats 1 streaming radio station is scheduled to go live at 9:00 AM Pacific, with the necessary software updates apparently arriving roughly an hour before that.

Article Link: Apple Music Coming to Sonos Home Audio Systems by End of 2015

Sport73

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Wellington, FL
Has it been confirmed that the iOS 9 seed will be available Tuesday? I've only seen the comment from Cue that a new seed will be released to support Apple Music, a date wasn't given.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Has it been confirmed that the iOS 9 seed will be available Tuesday? I've only seen the comment from Cue that a new seed will be released to support Apple Music, a date wasn't given.

No, not yet. It makes sense that a minor iOS9 beta seed will be pushed out Tuesday so that as many users as possible can start using Apple Music.

Reactions: natepdx92

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I think anybody on iOS 8.4 or iOS 9 should get Apple Music Tuesday. Meaning the current builds should be able to handle it when it goes live. No?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

The tweet that Eddy responded to specifically asked if it would be available in iOS 9 "on June 30th", so I'm assuming so.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I guess that's good news. I want to like Sonos more but no DTS support, no AirPlay, optical only is what kills it for me.

I have Sonos and love it. So much better than Airplay. I have 4 zones in the house, and can play the same music across all zones, or different music in different zones, all sourced from my iTunes library. Why would airplay make this better?

jasonsewell

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Excellent news. I've been wondering about this very issue. Glad to hear SONOS and Apple are working together on this. It definitely impacts my decision to subscribe to Apple Music.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I don't see why you would need airplay with Sonos. Can you explain what airplay will allow you to do that Sonos does not?

I'm assuming the ability to push other sorts of audio to Sonos? Like an audiobook, Youtube audio, etc. I've thought something similar as I sit there with an Airplay button on various audio sources but unable to push to the variety of Sonos speakers I have around the house.

Being able to push to my Apple TV or Denon receiver is nice, but I can see the want here.

Reactions: HitchHykr

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
If Apple does it right, this will sway a lot of people. Currently none of the major services integrate fully with Sonos.
Spotify: no radio support through Sonos
Google Play: can't star songs, or access started playlist.
If Apple has full integration, maybe even ties into iOS for Sonos - I would gladly leave Spotify behind.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
I guess that's good news. I want to like Sonos more but no DTS support, no AirPlay, optical only is what kills it for me.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by optical only, but the Play5 speaker has an audio in 3.5mm jack. I use it to play my record player in different zones.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Great news! I just hope they allow more than one stream at a time on Sonos devices like they do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.