iPhone Apple Music eating disk space

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by malko, Sep 6, 2015.

1. malko, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

malko macrumors member

Is there any way to go all streaming with Apple Music. I've got some old songs in iCloud Music Library and if I don't sync those I can't reach my playlists at all. Not even the songs that are streaming. And even when I turn off iCloud Music Library, Apple Music is STILL eating my disk space (1 gb). Is there no way to substitute all my songs with the cloud versions? The service is simply put horrible and the only reason I don't go back to Spotify is the built in functionality in iTunes to stream to multiple airplay speakers.

And when I'm at it – is there no way to free up space by leaving Messages content in the cloud? My Messages stores almost 2 gb, I don't want to delete it but I really don't need to carry it around in my precious few GB on the iPhone.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

There is a dedicated section here for music questions but this is the right area to ask about messages. No, your messages will not live in the cloud, they only live on your devices. Each device you have setup to receive messages will and each device will store the full versions of the messages. The only way to free the space is to delete.

3. malko thread starter macrumors member

Then is there a way to back up my messages, before deleting them from the phone?

4. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

I wish there was a way to back up messages. When you get a new phone, everything is lost.

5. treichert macrumors 6502

How do you lose everything with a new phone???

6. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

If you get a new iPhone and set up as new, you're messages history is gone. I am a Contractor and communicate with my employees and Subcontractors by text quite a bit.

7. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

You can save all your messages to your computer so you still have a record of all the conversations. PhoneView works great for accessing and backing up all your information.
    http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

8. treichert macrumors 6502

Don't set it up as new then. Very simple.

9. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

I know that. But it would be nice to do a nice clean install, then port over your iMessages, much like email.

10. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Thanks!