Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOV97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I was a bit disgruntled to find that the Apple Music 'Family Plan' is dependent on Family Sharing. This means I can't invite others to use one of the 6 accounts without also giving them my method of payment! I know you can turn on 'ask for purchases' but it's a rudimentary fix for what seems like a huge oversight to me... any ideas?

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I was a bit disgruntled to find that the Apple Music 'Family Plan' is dependent on Family Sharing. This means I can't invite others to use one of the 6 accounts without also giving them my method of payment! I know you can turn on 'ask for purchases' but it's a rudimentary fix for what seems like a huge oversight to me... any ideas?

Get an Amex Bluebird card, or other some form of payment that doesn't have a monthly fee or have the ability to be in a negative balance. Best I can advise given Family Sharing requires participants to have the payment info.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Well... it's not really an oversight. It is a FAMILY plan. For your immediate family... not extended family or friends. It's so that Dad, Mom and their teenage daughter can stream simultaneously without having to spend $10 each per month for streaming. It's so that Dad's music library isn't filled with One Direction, or any other boy bands from his daughter. It isn't meant to be a way for you and 5 friends to cheap out and split a $15/mo streaming bill.

Reactions: NightStorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.