Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you encountered bugs in the Apple Music App/Service?

• Total voters

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
Is there a way to view my hearted music?
They should make that happen, if not.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Is there a way to view my hearted music?
They should make that happen, if not.

Lots of people have said this! So far the hearted selection only counts towards the music that is shown in the for you area! Which I find silly as we are already asked about out taste via the bubbles...

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Lots of people have said this! So far the hearted selection only counts towards the music that is shown in the for you area! Which I find silly as we are already asked about out taste via the bubbles...

You can create a smart playlist on iTunes to add in loved music. This will show you everything you heart.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Another weird bug. I just had the Music app open with the iPad being "upside down", i.e. with the home button in top (because that's where the speakers are, and my iPad was resting on my stomach). When I tap some buttons on the "mini player" at the bottom of the screen, the view sometimes flips over so that it is upside down.

Between this kind of stuff and the messed-up touch targets, I really have to wonder what kind of newbie team has been working on the app. On the other hand, I do personally know some people who were hired by Apple recently and who made me wonder if Apple is scraping the bottom of the job market barrel, so I guess I should not be surprised.

Reactions: M. Gustave

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Another weird bug. I just had the Music app open with the iPad being "upside down", i.e. with the home button in top (because that's where the speakers are, and my iPad was resting on my stomach). When I tap some buttons on the "mini player" at the bottom of the screen, the view sometimes flips over so that it is upside down.

Between this kind of stuff and the messed-up touch targets, I really have to wonder what kind of newbie team has been working on the app. On the other hand, I do personally know some people who were hired by Apple recently and who made me wonder if Apple is scraping the bottom of the job market barrel, so I guess I should not be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the project given to the Graduates and Interns to give them something to do...

It amazes me the quality of software coming out of Apple these days. Its almost like they have given up caring now they are the richest company in the world !

Reactions: mattoligy

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I just sent some feedback to Apple regarding user playlists. I'd like to see the ability of adding a short paragraph (like on their curated lists) so when shared others can get an idea behind the list concept.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I just realized that this bug is near-reproducible. When I hold the iPad in landscape mode, then a push of the "next song" button in the "mini play" switches the iPad to portrait mode in about 80 percent of all attempts.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I just sent some feedback to Apple regarding user playlists. I'd like to see the ability of adding a short paragraph (like on their curated lists) so when shared others can get an idea behind the list concept.
That would be great. Apple keeps emphasizing the important of human curation, but they seem to be missing the importance of curation and sharing by "non-experts" (though I would claim that there are certain very specific areas/genres where I am more of an expert than anyone at Rolling Stone, and that is probably the case for many many music enthusiasts).

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
That would be great. Apple keeps emphasizing the important of human curation, but they seem to be missing the importance of curation and sharing by "non-experts" (though I would claim that there are certain very specific areas/genres where I am more of an expert than anyone at Rolling Stone, and that is probably the case for many many music enthusiasts).

If we were experts Apple would want us to work for them.... in any case adding a few sentences to playlists give a fulfilling sense to the whole music sharing experience.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
You can create a smart playlist on iTunes to add in loved music. This will show you everything you heart.

Yes. But then you need to add the music to "My Music" before it shows up in the playlist. Hearting music alone doesn't work.

All the hearted music should be on a tab of its own.

martymcfly618

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Saint louis
I cannot add songs to my playlist. This bug is driving me crazy.
51d0542a10911b12b63f01cde422e1c2.jpg
8ff44f37532c18271eb9fc0a64abd730.jpg

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
If we were experts Apple would want us to work for them.... in any case adding a few sentences to playlists give a fulfilling sense to the whole music sharing experience.
I disagree. Rolling Stones and the like hire writers to review music, not music experts, many of whom have questionable taste to put it kindly. They'll have people who have no basis in hip hop reviewing hip hop music or people who are dedicated haters of pop music to go and review it. Then later if the album gets popular they will "update" the review to reflect the popular opinion.

Last edited:

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
The new Music App and the new Apple Music Service feels more like an alpha let alone a beta! They have had long enough to apply polish and stability, so how the hell have they released this mess to millions without concern o_O

Here's the main UI changes I feel would be better suiting...

1. Connect is a mess and very confusing, it doesn't work well and so connect should be an area (feed) on each artists page.
  2. Artist pages should be heavily focused on as an artists main hub, the place where fans can find everything related to the artist.
  3. There should be more links across the entire experience, linking directly to Artist Pages from albums, tracks, playlists and various thumbnails UI wide.
  4. "Top Charts" should be a main tab and not a hard to find link from within the "New" tab.
  5. The "For You" and "New" areas are a complete mess, more organisation needs to be practiced across these areas focusing on making it easier for the user to browse Artists, Albums and Playlists, rather than all of the above being a messy mishmash of information.
  6. More design, UI and organisation traits need to be learned from the way the iTunes Store is laid out.
  7. The ability to reorder playlists from most recently added first.
  8. 320 kbps audio and a bigger catalogue of music.

I kinda liked Apple Music as it is and I didn't give much thought about how to improve it, but after reading your post I think all your ideas are great. IMO, if your ideas were incorporated into Apple Music the service would be much improved.

Knowing Apple, they will probably not change a thing. They are probably patting each other on the back thinking their design is the best and that no improvement is needed.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
The problem with Apple Music is that it's riddled with bugs. Plus iCloud is having a mental breakdown few times a day which makes such a service just a big pain to use.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
Totally understand. I signed up for Spotify when they announced podcast were coming to the service. Not sure when they plan on implementing... Or maybe they have already.

I like Spotify... I think it has a cool layout, everything seemed easy to navigate. But I like the Family Plan for Apple Music... I'm going to wait out the 3 month period & see how it goes.

Spotify announced that they're going to update their family plan to compete with Apple on that.

I feel like my Apple Music is working better several days in though there are still bugs. Here's a new one: Every time I add a song to a playlist, it adds THREE songs--one by Kelly Clarkson, one by Jason Mraz and one by the Black Eyed Peas. Every time. Daily I have to go in and delete about 50 of these. :D

That all said, being able to control Apple Music in my car with Siri on my Apple Watch is a HUGE niceness. If they can work out these bugs, I'd stick with them. But as others have said, I don't have time to be their alpha tester. :p

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Spotify announced that they're going to update their family plan to compete with Apple on that.

Spotify will attempt to compete with Apple on the Family Plan, but I'd doubt that Spotify can hold up against Apple's Family Plan. The fact Apple doesn't rely on Apple Music to bring in revenue... There in it to sell hardware, Apple Music just helps them sell hardware.

Spotify on the other hand relies on their music service to bring in revenue... That's why I think the Family Plan offered by Apple is a very compelling advantage over Spotify plans.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
I kinda liked Apple Music as it is and I didn't give much thought about how to improve it, but after reading your post I think all your ideas are great. IMO, if your ideas were incorporated into Apple Music the service would be much improved.

Knowing Apple, they will probably not change a thing. They are probably patting each other on the back thinking their design is the best and that no improvement is needed.

I fear you're probably right about them thinking there's nothing wrong with it! Hopefully not, as I really do think Apple Music will be unsuccessful otherwise...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

If you click "edit" in a playlist, you can add a description.

AaronMT

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Toronto
Another bug to the pile:

One is unable to actually get to the Beats 1 radio station page in iTunes on Mac. How am I supposed to find out the schedule, featured shows and playlists on Mac. I can do this in the Music app on my iPhone by tapping the Beats 1 banner. Clicking the banner in iTunes, whilst it shows as a link, does nothing.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but artist stations don't seem to work on iTunes for Mac. I go to an album and select "New station from artist" in the album view. "Unknown Title" appears in the player section for a second, and then... nothing happens.

Edit: I just remembered that it actually did work on iTunes before. Another feature that stopped working by itself (playlist sharing on iOS seems to be broken now as well, and it worked before).

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Well, there we have a bigger problem. In my opinion, the whole search function in iTunes and Apple Music is amateurish. It is very strict about how you spell things and word order and things like that. In the year 2015, I would expect that a search request for "Deep Porple" would yield a "Did you mean 'Deep Purple'?" answer with the suggested results displayed below.
Just to add an example to this: I searched for "Something About You" by Level 42 in my library, as I assumed I had it, and I wanted to add it to a playlist. I type "something", and three quick results are displayed which contain the word "something". This is where I'd usually give up, assuming the song I am searching for is not in my library. Only when I typed "something ab", then "Something About You" was displayed as a search result.

That is not really a bug of Apple Music but a bug of the Music app, but I consider a user-friendly and reliable search function to be an absolutely major prerequisite for a streaming service, because we're dealing with a huge song library here. Right now, the search function in the Music app sucks and that is a handicap for Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.