Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Apple Music for Artists" dashboard, aimed at musicians, is out of beta and now available for everyone, reports The Verge.

First launched in January 2018, Apple Music for Artists offers up a detailed dashboard with an artist's current number of plays, spins, song purchases, music video views, daily listeners, and album purchases, with built-in tools to provide data dating back to June 2015.

applemusicanalytics.jpg

An insights panel highlights milestones like all time number of plays, playlists a song has been added to, purchases of specific songs, and cumulative purchases, while a global map is designed to allow musicians to click on any of the 115 countries where Apple Music/iTunes is available to see purchase history.

Data for individual cities is included, such as top songs in each city, with further demographic breakdowns available, and another feature lists all of the Apple-curated playlists where an artist's songs appear.

During the beta testing period, Apple added integration with Shazam, allowing artists to see their Shazam info like the top shazamed cities and countries.

When the Apple Music for Artists feature first launched, Apple invited a few thousand artists to test it out, but now, it's available to all artists that have content on the Apple Music and iTunes platforms.

Along with the web dashboard that displays analytics info, Apple has also released a standalone Apple Music for Artists app on the iPhone, which is designed to let their artists view their stats anywhere.

Article Link: 'Apple Music for Artists' Analytics Dashboard Now Available for All Artists

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Along with the web dashboard that displays analytics info, Apple has also released a standalone Apple Music for Artists app on the iPhone, which is designed to let their artists view their stats anywhere.

Are you sure? I can’t find it on the App Store.

And the website still says Beta for me?!

Edit: It's now available, just downloaded it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Only like five years behind Spotify. Apple Music has always been super unfriendly to artists. Coming from a company that always prides of being at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, they really haven’t executed on either with Apple Music. They’ve been literally sitting on their asses, copying competitor features and signing exclusive deals since the launch of the service.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
O.T.
Pleasantly surprised by the artist in the above Picture..Daniel Ceasar, I expected HipHop/Rap, got R&B.
1st single I heard was Best part, like this stuff.

As for the Topic, non story for 99.99% of people here, good for artist though.

Sylant

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
I’m posting this here for other artist who May have issues:

The part that sucks is they have no idea how their own metrics work. In Beta it was more accurate with location and play counts updating almost daily, with the occasional 3,4 day no update.
Now my 554,000 streams went to 22K. I’ve streamed my song on repeat daily for a week while they “investigate” my analytics because a 3:39 second song played on repeat is 394 (86,400 seconds in a day/ divided by 219) but Apple Music for Artist is showing 100 plays per day but some how 900 plays for 1 week when 7 x 100 is 700.

Going a step further i have a relative purchase my single, and to play it on repeat for 2 days in Washington DC, that download was recorded but later removed from the analytics and the play count says 50 plays per day.
One further complaint about the accuracy is the numbers vary depending on if ur using Safari, Chrome, or the App.

LandR is my distributor and here’s a report of their collected data from each store:
3B1321AA-4B04-42F4-8B6A-FFD387559435.jpeg

You can see Spotify updates but the latest numbers haven’t come in to LandR: 970289C1-81F5-4E48-A1D7-D22BF4BCCC49.png
This is From the Beta just before reaching 500k:
E7CD2B0E-E14A-485E-88C1-9D55FB427487.png
screenshot from app showing “21.5k”:
CA25C919-90FB-4250-A2BC-8BFAF83F4104.png
safari login showing 22k same date and time
487E8DEC-9446-4436-89F6-E97D18C69D58.jpeg

The irony is they tell you not to use these numbers for royalty distribution but say it’s to help artist understand how their doing per song. I’m working with ASCAP on this as well (my PRO) because they pay out based on “surveyed works” and Apple hasn’t reported anything for the life of this single. Half a million streams on one platform and no payout (yet).

-SYLANT

Attachments

• B223FB8C-32DF-4B8B-830E-6A6D12D83761.png
    B223FB8C-32DF-4B8B-830E-6A6D12D83761.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.