Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prycop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Since day 1 Apple Music has been frustrating when traveling in my local area where there is poor mobile phone coverage. It has improved since the early days when downloaded offline songs would disappear after loosing mobile signal - now they are still there. What's fustrating now is that after a few minutes of listening to downloaded songs in a low signal area Apple Music flags that you need to sign in to Itunes again, showing a box to rewrite my password. When driviing it's impossible (and dangerous) to have to type in the password again.
Considering Spotify, especially with the new family tariff.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
This log in issue is really bad, and even affects iTunes Match. On more than one occassion I've 'lost' my iTunes Match library in poor signal areas due to this. Considering I have 60k tracks, it's a real pain.

For streaming, I've enjoyed Spotify.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wouldn't be blaming Apple for this.... In a low signal area.. u cant do allot of stuff.. If a file upload breaks due to connection loss on mobile i don't blame mobile carrier..if i did, it would a waste of time..

Its up to users to check coverage maps.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I wouldn't be blaming Apple for this.... In a low signal area.. u cant do allot of stuff..

I would - In the time I used Apple Music, it was horrible even if you had semi decent coverage at times. Spotify's streaming was/is much better in low coverage areas.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The apple id log in issue is definitely something I can blame apple for. Poor streaming is understandable in these areas, but suddenly requiring me to log in, not being able to, then removing all my music because of it? That's absurd.

I wouldn't be blaming Apple for this.... In a low signal area.. u cant do allot of stuff.. If a file upload breaks due to connection loss on mobile i don't blame mobile carrier..if i did, it would a waste of time..

Its up to users to check coverage maps.

prycop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Agree with post above.
Not expecting downloading nor streaming in low coverage area - problem for me is that I can't play downloaded music either - Apple Music tries to 'check in' every now and then, if it can't (because of the lavk of signsl) it asks you to log in.
The solution is for Apple Music not to check in when there's no signal.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Real services suppose to check every 14 to 30 days then shuts off if it can't send information that you subscribe.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Since day 1 Apple Music has been frustrating when traveling in my local area where there is poor mobile phone coverage.

I'm sorry, but why would you sign up for a streaming music service while living in an area which you admit has poor cell service??

And they give a 3 month free trial, long enough to see that it's not going to work for you.

prycop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I'm sorry, but why would you sign up for a streaming music service while living in an area which you admit has poor cell service??

And they give a 3 month free trial, long enough to see that it's not going to work for you.

Wifi is fine, most of the area covered by cellular, but some blind spots.

The point is that this is not happening while streaming, it's happening for downloaded music.
I assume that the whole point of being able to download is that sometimes you can't stream.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm guessing Apple Music works differently than iTunes Match then, because I can even sign out of iTunes completely and any music that has been downloaded stays there.

This Apple Music is just full of issues. I'm so glad I didn't sign up for it.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
I'm guessing Apple Music works differently than iTunes Match then, because I can even sign out of iTunes completely and any music that has been downloaded stays there.

Two completely different services. iTunes Match allows you to download tracks that were matched to those you already own. You own those downloads, so they don't get deleted if you have no connection, or unsubscribe.

Apple Music is a streaming service, and you don't own any of the tracks. Yes, you are allowed to download them, but they are DRM restricted. If they are not occasionally authenticated to an active account, they will be deleted on the assumption that you are no longer a subscriber. They may also get deleted if you log off from your account.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Downloaded music stays, but iTunes Match will be disabled. With 65,000 tracks, it takes a long time to re-enable, and basically has to be done when back on wifi, which means I'm basically screwed when it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.