Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music now has over 50 million users on either paid subscriptions or free trials, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

apple-music-note-800x420.jpg

Cook revealed the updated total in an interview with Bloomberg Television, nearly five weeks after Apple's services chief Eddy Cue said Apple Music had 48 million users, including 40 million paying and eight million on a trial.

Apple Music remains the world's second most popular streaming music service, behind Spotify, which disclosed that it had 75 million paying subscribers as of March 31, 2018. Spotify has a much larger total of at least 170 million active users, however, due to the free, ad-supported tier that it offers.

Apple Music has been a key contributor to the continued growth of Apple's services category, which brought in $9.1 billion revenue last quarter, an increase of 31 percent on a year-over-year basis. Other service-related revenue includes App Store and iTunes Store sales, paid iCloud storage, licensing, and more.

Article Link: Apple Music Has Over 50 Million Paid Subscribers and Free Trial Users Combined

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I think Spotify is a better service but I use Apple Music due to first-party integration. I think that is the primary driver of subscriber growth. It's unfortunate because Spotify doesn't come pre-loaded on iPhones and it never will. Telling Siri via CarPlay to play Creedeance greatest hits on shuffle and having instant response is what keeps me hooked...that and I have 25,000 songs in iTunes so if I don't have the song already, it loads from Apple Music. If I do, it uses my library.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
You mean like drive over to McDonalds because they're the only place that accepts Apple Pay?
What? In the past week, I've used Apple Pay at Chick-fil-a, Staples, Academy Sports, Firehouse Subs, Walgreens, Old Navy, Gamestop, Starbucks, and a small local retail store. About the only place I wasn't able to use it is Target.

Apple Pay is everywhere if you'd bother to look.
[doublepost=1526390942][/doublepost]
WOW ... funny we always hear about Apple Music numbers but complete silence on phone models, pods, and watches ... wonder why that is?
Because HomePod and Apple Watch are accessories... and they have never given numbers on accessories. They also have too many iPhone models to report individual numbers on, so they just say how many iPhones they sold as a whole. Of those, these were very clear that the iPhone X has been the best seller, so I don't see why you're so skeptical of iPhone sales since the iPhone X was the only model in question.

PG(Austin)

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2004
Austin, TX
They also have too many iPhone models to report individual numbers on, so they just say how many iPhones they sold as a whole. Of those, these were very clear that the iPhone X has been the best seller, so I don't see why you're so skeptical of iPhone sales since the iPhone X was the only model in question.

If you think Apple doesn't know how many of EACH phone or device sold how many, you are naive.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Pandora..is what I use no monthly fees

Unless Pandora has changed and allows you more control than it used to, Spotify Free might be an option to consider. On a computer you can play any song you want to from any artist with occasional ads (maybe 5-6 30 sec ads an hour?). You can create as many playlists as you want and they have personalized daily mixes that are surprisingly good. For me no need for the paid tier.

On a phone though it's different: you can't pick the song you want and have to have it on shuffle for any playlists. And you still get the ads. I listen to it often on my computer but rarely on my phone.

Reactions: Agit21

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
WOW ... funny we always hear about Apple Music numbers but complete silence on phone models, pods, and watches ... wonder why that is?

Because Apple are using the Apple Music subscriber base to try and make content deals. “Look... our audience is x big”.
[doublepost=1526394521][/doublepost]
What good is statistics on a 90 day free trial? How many are converted to paying users would seem to be more relevant. Free trials? Who cares? How many are paying!!? Full disclosure...I'm not!

They do break that out - or at least, Cue did a few months ago: 8 million on a free trial, 40 million paying customers.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Unless Pandora has changed and allows you more control than it used to, Spotify Free might be an option to consider. On a computer you can play any song you want to from any artist with occasional ads (maybe 5-6 30 sec ads an hour?). You can create as many playlists as you want and they have personalized daily mixes that are surprisingly good. For me no need for the paid tier.

On a phone though it's different: you can't pick the song you want and have to have it on shuffle for any playlists. And you still get the ads. I listen to it often on my computer but rarely on my phone.

Ads are quite annoying but Spotify is a good way to get to know more artists/songs.
Instead of paying $10 a month to Spotify or to AM subscription I buy albums from Apple from time to time, I'd say I spend about $40 every year but those songs are mine I can download them, have multiple playlists and stop worrying about fees. When I feel like listening to something new I can always open Spotify or youtube on my Mac and play stuff for free.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
What good is statistics on a 90 day free trial? How many are converted to paying users would seem to be more relevant. Free trials? Who cares? How many are paying!!? Full disclosure...I'm not!

Exactly. Yet more con-trickery (my made up word) of Apple lumping every form of AM conduits under the sun with the pledge: "Trust us! Our numbers are magical!" Just like they do with their yearly 'Others category' (Watch, Pods, extended warranties). Or like how Apple passionately proclaims the X is the # 1 selling phone they ever made, yet after a decade yet still don't break down sales by model.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Exactly. Yet more con-trickery (my made up word) of Apple lumping every form of AM conduits under the sun with the pledge: "Trust us! Our numbers are magical!" Just like they do with their yearly 'Others category' (Watch, Pods, extended warranties). Or like how Apple passionately proclaims the X is the # 1 selling phone they ever made, yet after a decade yet still don't break down sales by model.
What other smartphone manufacturers break down individual sales numbers per device?
[doublepost=1526400488][/doublepost]
If you think Apple doesn't know how many of EACH phone or device sold how many, you are naive.
That is not what he said. He said they are not going to report it... Just as other manufacturers do not report sales for each model of device...

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
It's hard to compare Pandora to AM or Spotify. Pandora is a customizable online radio station, where as the others are on demand music streaming. They have different rules and pay different royalty rates.

macpanzer

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Apple should hire some of Spotify's interface design guys to work on the Music app... and easily double the number of subscribers. ;)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think Spotify is a better service but I use Apple Music due to first-party integration. I think that is the primary driver of subscriber growth. It's unfortunate because Spotify doesn't come pre-loaded on iPhones and it never will. Telling Siri via CarPlay to play Creedeance greatest hits on shuffle and having instant response is what keeps me hooked...that and I have 25,000 songs in iTunes so if I don't have the song already, it loads from Apple Music. If I do, it uses my library.

I’m still wrestling with the idea of paying monthly for a boat load of music, many of which I’ll never need bro want to access (aka Country I’ll never want to listen to it except “The Gambler”). Jobs once said streaming music was the wrong way and that was good for when iTunes debuted but now it’s the opposite.

I like discovering music but I like purchasing it and then owning to play it whenever I want, not having to search for the rotation. Music is funny because not always can most people recall a specific track at a moments notice. Sometimes through other tracks you may recall.

At least someone feels the same way. Apple Music unfortunately ONLY gives you a 3 mths trial and that’s it! I think THAT is what’s slowing Apple Music subscription.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You do realize that many other tech manufacturers do not release their hardware sale numbers as well? . Do you know why that is? Because why would a tech company want to release valuable information that their competitors could likely use against them. Also for the record, I don’t know of any other tech manufacture that releases specific hardware numbers either for similar reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.