Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Does anyone know how the Apple Music app will work in the car? I have a Nissan and a BMW where I can connect my iPhone with the Lightning to usb cable and browse my entire iTunes library by artist, album, song, etc.

Is there any way this will work with the Apple Music app? I can always stream with Bluetooth but I won't be able to easily change artist or album while driving as I will have to pick up the phone for this.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
iTunes Match works in the car just fine when streaming songs, so I don't expect it to be any different with Apple Music.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
iTunes Match works in the car just fine when streaming songs, so I don't expect it to be any different with Apple Music.

But that's using Bluetooth which means lower quality and only the ability to skip forward and backward between tracks. No option to change artist, album, etc. Also, no album art.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
But that's using Bluetooth which means lower quality and only the ability to skip forward and backward between tracks. No option to change artist, album, etc. Also, no album art.

Nope, it's using the standard iPod interface into my car stereo. Not using Bluetooth Audio for music. I can browse my library, pick artists, etc without issues.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Is anyone getting Beats 1 song meta data displayed on their car's head unit?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436309797.113243.jpg

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Nope, it's using the standard iPod interface into my car stereo. Not using Bluetooth Audio for music. I can browse my library, pick artists, etc without issues.

A lot of people have complained that Apple Music should be a separate app and not a system app, but I suspect things like this are exactly why Apple made it a system app.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Thanks. What setup is that? Lightning to USB or BT or something else?
Well, it was really a slightly trollish post since I have a CarPlay unit, but I couldn't resist. It's USB to Alpine iLX-007.

I am really enjoying the CarPlay integration now. I used Spotify before and it was a frustrating experience with CarPlay. It was hard to get songs to auto resume and there was no Siri support.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Well, it was really a slightly trollish post since I have a CarPlay unit, but I couldn't resist. It's USB to Alpine iLX-007.

I am really enjoying the CarPlay integration now. I used Spotify before and it was a frustrating experience with CarPlay. It was hard to get songs to auto resume and there was no Siri support.

Ok. Cool.

Is anyone without CarPlay seeing Beats 1 song meta data?

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I have a BMW and it works fine, just as it did with an old iPod. Can browse my albums, playlists etc.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a BMW and it works fine, just as it did with an old iPod. Can browse my albums, playlists etc.

I have a BMW too (with a 3rd party interface for iPods/iPhones) and I can also browse my music on my device using the iDrive and car screen, but I'm not getting any Beats1 or other Apple radio station meta data on the screen. And I'm having a number of other issues navigating my music after playing Beats1...

Are you getting Beats1 track info on your BMW display? Is it a factory installed iPod interface or something else? What year is your car?

Thanks.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I have a BMW too (with a 3rd party interface for iPods/iPhones) and I can also browse my music on my device using the iDrive and car screen, but I'm not getting any Beats1 or other Apple radio station meta data on the screen. And I'm having a number of other issues navigating my music after playing Beats1...

Are you getting Beats1 track info on your BMW display? Is it a factory installed iPod interface or something else? What year is your car?

Thanks.

I have a 2011 with a factory fitted iPod interface. I just tried streaming beats1 and it gave track information for the currently playing track without any problems.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a 2011 with a factory fitted iPod interface. I just tried streaming beats1 and it gave track information for the currently playing track without any problems.

Ok, thanks... that's good to know... means there's hope for a firmware update to my interface that will provide the same functionality.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've got a 2013 Prius v with the garbage Entune system. OK, it's not garbage, but it has issues.

Anyway, no troubles with Apple Music outside of sometimes the system not connecting with the phone. What's hilarious is when it's with the cable. But when it works, it comes in fine with artist and song info.

Now if I just had CarPlay so I could do more than go back and forth.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
This looks very promising!

Anyone have any experience successfully pairing Apple Music/Beats with the Mazda MZConnect system?? Spotify works - but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's seamless!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.