Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I've been trying the Apple Music app for the first time in a long time. I cannot believe how far Apple has fallen.

The next time someone says "with Apple you're not the product" just remember that Apple changed the favourite song tag so now its only purpose is to provide marketing information to Apple Inc.

You're not even allowed to see a list of your own favourite songs. Shocking.

Anyway the point to trying Apple Music was that Google Play will be closing in the future so I'm looking for an alternative music app if anyone has recommendations.

wolfe48

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2020
Upper Left Coast
Use iTunes to see your ratings and favorites. From there create more in-depth playlists and you can create a smart playlist that grabs all your favorites as you tag them. Cross suns to Apple Music on your device. Been doing it for years.

Also very easy to create smart playlists based on rating. All those will sync up as you do so too.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Use iTunes to see your ratings and favorites. From there create more in-depth playlists and you can create a smart playlist that grabs all your favorites as you tag them. Cross suns to Apple Music on your device. Been doing it for years.

Also very easy to create smart playlists based on rating. All those will sync up as you do so too.

That's my bigger issue with music and iOS - the only route in with your own recordings is through iTunes. Minimally, the Files app should be able to interface with the onboard music app.

Khedron

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013

iOS favourites are nothing to do with iTunes favourites

Mac OS is a proper operating system, iOS is a prison

I don't see any way to make smart playlists on iOS?

wolfe48

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2020
Upper Left Coast
iOS favourites are nothing to do with iTunes favourites

Mac OS is a proper operating system, iOS is a prison

I don't see any way to make smart playlists on iOS?

Our definitions of favorites must differ. I’m meaning Loved. Need to use iTunes on your Mac to further break down, customize, and create playlists.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I'm on a free trial with Apple Music until October...so far, massively impressed.

The only minor thing I'd note is that shuffle seems to keep picking the same songs.
That garbage has been going on for me for every music device or service that shuffles for decades. What's so hard about not restarting the list before all the songs have played??

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
I think it will depend on your needs for a service, I personally find Apple Music to be a great service offering me the ability to organise my music and find a lot of new music to listen to.

There is no "favourites" function in AM, the Loved/Heart function is for suggestions of other music based on what you like. I've discovered a lot of new music this way! You can use ratings as a way of favouriting music though.

The one disadvantage is that power features like smart playlists need to be set up in iTunes, but work well across devices and even browsers.

Another advantage of AM is that there are third party ios apps that connect to it - MarvisPro and Soor being two examples. While there are a few limitations to the third party apps (not being able to delete content for instance), they offer a lot more customisation and a better interface. MarvisPro has a ridiculous amount of customisation features, including the ability to create playlists based on criteria, kinda like smart playlists.

The only other service which compares is Spotify, and it's something you can try for free and see if it works better for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.