Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Just to clarify something, now that I'm less tired and have looked again with a new perspective:

What you're asking is to share your owned tracks with your wife, and for her to share her owned tracks with you, whilst at the same time using two Apple IDs, with two concurrent iTunes libraries, and sharing the same source files. (I think!)

This isn't technically legal. The tracks are for the use of the buyer, and sharing them with your wife who is using a different Apple ID is the same as sharing it with any random stranger from a licensing perspective. Even with Family Sharing I believe music purchases are tied to the individual account, and not shareable? (Don't quote me on that...)

I'm not accusing you of anything - millions of people share purchased iTunes items between their family - but to implement a feature to so simply share out purchases would seriously annoy the labels. I could then just make my NAS accessible from the web and share all my purchases with friends, for instance, and have one monster iTunes library, paid for once, and used by many. Not good!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
But Apple Music is a streaming service. You upload (or match) your personal library once, and then you don't need to access it again. So I don't understand why you keep referring to a local library.

Hell, getting iTunes out of my life for good was why I signed up.
I refer to my local library because, sometimes I like to listen to my music with the correct cover art and not whatever Apple has on their servers. It's a small point, I know. But let me ask this: if I have 1 centralized network music library and it either matches or uploads to AM (so my complete library is in the cloud) and then my wife uses the same central library for her AM source (and violating the rule that 2 different libraries should not use the same source), is the potential for file deletion eliminated because both libraries are actually accessing the cloud and not the local drive?

I got to say, I've used Apple products for years and really liked their ease of use. But ever since iTunes incorporated Match and Apple Music, it has done nothing but confuse me.
[doublepost=1473256992][/doublepost]
Just to clarify something, now that I'm less tired and have looked again with a new perspective:

What you're asking is to share your owned tracks with your wife, and for her to share her owned tracks with you, whilst at the same time using two Apple IDs, with two concurrent iTunes libraries, and sharing the same source files. (I think!)

This isn't technically legal. The tracks are for the use of the buyer, and sharing them with your wife who is using a different Apple ID is the same as sharing it with any random stranger from a licensing perspective. Even with Family Sharing I believe music purchases are tied to the individual account, and not shareable? (Don't quote me on that...)

I'm not accusing you of anything - millions of people share purchased iTunes items between their family - but to implement a feature to so simply share out purchases would seriously annoy the labels. I could then just make my NAS accessible from the web and share all my purchases with friends, for instance, and have one monster iTunes library, paid for once, and used by many. Not good!
What a mess. Now I can't even make a copy of "our" music for my wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.