Apple Music Library = iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by m.x, Jun 8, 2015.

1. m.x macrumors member

m.x

Hi guys,

this question came up to me during the keynote. Every speaker said something about "all songs from iTunes" or "iTunes Library", but this is not mentioned on the Apple Music website. Instead, the only term I can find is "Apple Music Library". Is it the same? I am confused!

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

No, it's not.
    Apple Music offers about 30 million songs when it launches, whereas there are around 43 million in the iTunes Store.

Noteworthy: Spotify also offers 30 million songs, so it's probably not coincidental they arrived at this number.

3. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Unsurprisingly, the Beatles catalog is one of the specific omissions from the Apple Music offering.

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Can I sync any Apple Music song to an offline/non-iOS device (iPod classic, nano, shuffle)?

5. invisiblegt macrumors member

We have no actual confirmation of this. It's simply speculation, based almost entirely on an article from Verge that says nothing more than "we didn't see artwork from the Beatles, and they didn't talk about them, so, you know..."

6. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Ah, sorry, didn't mean to spread misinformation. I could have sworn 9to5mac explicitly stated the Beatles catalog wouldn't be in Apple Music this morning in their article on the service.

7. invisiblegt macrumors member

Ah, ok. I actually read the same article, and they reference the Verge article. I feel like everyone is basing their impressions on that one article, whereas the Beats FAQ explicitly states the ENTIRE iTunes Store.

The bottom line is that until we can actually try out the service, it's all speculation.

8. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna have to buy those 13 mil songs that aren't included now, damn.

9. bap3221 macrumors member

CORRECTION: They will offer 37 million. 7 million more than Spotify which may be a huge advantage. Theyve got Spotify working their butts off these days...lol. People will go to where there is more...

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Including The Beatles would've been huge, and they'd have wanted to brag about it. They're almost certainly not going to be part of Apple Music, at least initially.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A very good question.

I fear it will be restricted to iOS devices and will require the new Music app. There's even a delay before it will work on the :apple:TV so I doubt it will work on older iPods but I hope I'm wrong.

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm certain the answer will be no. When you select offline for any of the current music services, your device doesn't get loaded with playable music files you could potentially take and load into any other music app. The files are either encrypted, and/or files split into tiny chunks that are then grouped together by the app when you press play. A non-iOS device will be unable to do anything useful with them, and Apple certainly isn't going to waste time on a workaround for devices they've basically abandoned now.