Apple Music May Become Exclusive Home to Prince's Unreleased 1983 'Purple Rain' Concert Film

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An unreleased Prince concert film and a documentary about the making of the film could be heading exclusively to Apple Music, according to sources close to the Prince estate (via Billboard). The late singer's estate is said to be shopping around the rights to the concert film and doc to a variety of streaming services, namely including Apple Music and Spotify.

The agreement for the two films is said to potentially be a "multi-million dollar deal" thanks to the rarity of the footage. The concert film covers Prince's August 3, 1983 show in Minneapolis, at which time he debuted numerous songs for the first time from the soundtrack to Purple Rain, which released in theaters the year after in 1984. The footage is said to be exhaustive enough that the winning streaming service could use it to create and produce a documentary about the making of the concert film.

[​IMG]
    Image via Billboard

Helping to negotiate terms of the deal is Troy Carter, an executive from Spotify and advisor to the Prince estate, but the sources believe that Spotify "isn't likely" to become the exclusive home of the Prince films.
    Demand for Prince's robust back catalogue of songs has increased following the artist's death in April of 2016, and this past February his music became available to stream on Apple Music, as well as services like Spotify, Google Play Music, and Pandora. Prince's music was previously exclusive to Tidal after he pulled all of his tracks from everything but the Jay Z-owned service in July of 2015.

If Apple acquired rights to Prince's unreleased concert footage, the late artist's films would be the newest in a line of exclusive music documentaries that Apple Music has acquired over the past few years. In the first year of Apple's music streaming service, it launched Taylor Swift's 1989 World Tour LIVE film, and last month announced that Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs' documentary Can't Stop, Won't Stop will be hitting Apple Music this June.

Article Link: Apple Music May Become Exclusive Home to Prince's Unreleased 1983 'Purple Rain' Concert Film

2. venusboy macrumors regular

I hate exclusive content deals. Consumers lose out... we can't all have an account with every provider.

How about competing on quality of service, and better usability??

3. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I don't care who gets this. Will purchase. The concert sequences in the film and the full length concert film Sign O' The Times are phenomenal. Prince was such an awesome live event.

4. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

That news represents everything that is bad about the centralised control and distribution of music.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Prince is so much better than Taylor Swift or Puff daddy, it's not even in the same class.

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That would be funny considering he never gave Apple the time of day when he was alive. I remember he posted this to Twitter when his last Album dropped on iTunes in 2015 (and it was the only album of his on Apple Music while he was alive).

[​IMG]

8. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That's hilarious, and so in keeping with his rebellious, scoff-at-convention nature.

9. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Looking forward to seeing this...that purple-blouse-wearing dude made some great music.

10. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    My best friend from high school was at Prince's birthday party in 1984, right at the height of his popularity and the party was apparently epic. My connected-to-the-music-industry friend, a savant 9 earring wearing country music fanatic (Hank Jr in particular) absolutely raved about the party and what a great guy Prince was. Sadly, my friend, like Prince, lost his life far sooner than he should have. I still find my mind wanders back to when Purple Rain was released and the carefree life I had back then. Music in general has certainly progressed over the years, but Prince was far ahead of his time.

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I have the bootleg CD of this show. Even in it's sketchy audio quality, it's phenomenal. "Purple Rain" is about 17 minutes long, there's an extended version of "Computer Blue", and great unreleased stuff like "Electric Intercourse" are performed live. I cannot wait to see this in high quality.

12. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I said it and will say it again: you only lose if you choose the wrong service provider.

Choose the right one.

13. 69Mustang, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Is there some documentation out there that justifies exclusives from a business perspective? To me it makes little sense. Pay extra for content that - as soon as you debut it - appears almost immediately on Youtube and other sites. I can't think of one Apple Music exclusive that wasn't easily available elsewhere on the web within minutes of it's release. Same goes for exclusives on other services.

edit: I'm not going to link it, but a cursory google search of Prince and Purple Rain 1983 pulls up video from that exact concert.

14. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

With all due respect: Drake? Nah. Beyoncé? Nah. Prince, this.... HELL YEAH! I just hope it can be purchased for keeps as well.

16. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Same, there's an anniversary edition of Purple Rain coming out that will include some unreleased stuff. Electric Intercourse is listed on it.

17. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Nobody has more money than Apple...unfortunately...

18. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I hope you don't mean from the perspective of the IP owner ;) ...

Generally, I'd agree. But this is Prince. The scarcity of his material, the stuff we KNOW about, is at another level. To be the first is big. Some of his songs he only sang live, so you'd have to have some beaten down copy of it somewhere. Singles that he had music videos for, you may never see live - yet he performed them and had orchestrated a very effective take-down campaign against them through his life. And seeing Prince live is like seeing a Motown or Bruno Mars performance on steroids, if you will... the dude never stops moving.

19. 69Mustang, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I thought it would be self evident that I meant from the perspective of the company paying for the exclusive since I wrote:
    "Pay extra for content that - as soon as you debut it - appears almost immediately on Youtube and other sites. " That is unless the IP owner is paying a company to exclusively debut their property.;) Also the content we're discussing isn't from that unknown category. It's known material, probably repackaged to make it more attractive, but still known material. The catalog you're referencing has nothing to do with this potential exclusive. I'm a Prince fan and think he was a transcendent artist. That also has nothing to do with the topic of the post.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I agree artistically, and also financially. It doesn't matter if it appears on the net afterwards, everything does. For Apple to land this - if true- is a big deal. Hopefully the estate can work out a deal that sees Prince's Internet and later-day releases available. I'll buy every last single

Prince seemed like such a dichotomy by releasing internet albums, but not keen on digital music stores. Must be a rights issue as he released lots of his own material and 3rdEyeGirl material digitally only. And The Gold Experience was a digital experience.

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Aaah yes, the "Purple Rush" bootleg CD collection.
    So much great stuff from his best era: the Purple One.

22. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

trainwrecka

Sometimes this is the only thing that gets customers to leave their comfort zone. Think of how long it took Mac to make a dent in the Windows World? Was superior usability, but Windows had the software people wanted (and still do to some extent - I'm looking at you games).

23. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I hope you're right. I don't particularly want to sign up for Apple Music, but this might be enough to at least get me to trial it. If I could wait a few months and get the same content on BluRay, I'd be much happier...

24. akadafni macrumors regular

Agreed. If they could get the post Warner Brothers stuff on Apple Music I would join. Prince is the only artist that would force me to join. If they get that concert and then do the documentry then they have a good chance of scoring other Prince stuff

25. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Does not matter if it is exclusive as I subscribe to Apple Music and find it the best service because of the superior sound quality. Other services have poor sound quality.