Apple Music Offering Six-Month Free Trial to Students Until Late September

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that students who have yet to subscribe to Apple Music can now get a six-month free trial, double the standard three months, in the United States and select other countries. The limited time promotion ends September 26, 2019, according to an internal memo obtained by the blog Appleosophy.

When the trial ends, the Apple Music plan for students is $4.99 per month, compared to the standard $9.99 per month for individuals.

While various carriers have offered extended Apple Music trials, this is the first time Apple has offered a six-month trial itself. The offer is part of Apple's annual Back to School promotion in which students can also get a free pair of Beats headphones with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad.

(Thanks, Holden Satterwhite!)

Article Link: Apple Music Offering Six-Month Free Trial to Students Until Late September

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
On one hand, it is a nice thing to do for students, and on the other, 6 months is plenty of time for Apple Music to become an integral part of their lives, and they’ll become long term customers. Good for all, as long as they can actually afford it.

RickDEGH

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Germany
On one hand, it is a nice thing to do for students, and on the other, 6 months is plenty of time for Apple Music to become an integral part of their lives, and they’ll become long term customers. Good for all, as long as they can actually afford it.
Exactly the same thing I thought. It’s a good strategy and somewhat a win-win for all.

Reactions: warden

vicviper789

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
Dang, I just signed up last month. I don’t care for the music curation as much as Spotify- it will NOT stop suggesting hiphop and rap even after explicitly telling it I don’t listen to that.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Wish they offered a discount on the family plan for those of us who are students.

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Dang, I just signed up last month. I don’t care for the music curation as much as Spotify- it will NOT stop suggesting hiphop and rap even after explicitly telling it I don’t listen to that.
I'd say it's doing it's job and trying to get you to listen to the best music...

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Sometimes, my Favorites Mix have hip hop and R&B songs I don't remember ever listening to. It's so annoying. Even my New Music Mix has a bunch of these despite my play history being majority rock, alternative, metal, indie, grunge, punk and pop rock.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I feel Apple Music is NOT doing great, so they introduce this 6-mo free trial for students. Why not 6-mo promo last year?

Thankfully, 90% of my music in my library won’t appear on any streaming service. So I am good.
I'd say it's doing it's job and trying to get you to listen to the best music...
It highly depends on how your “best music” definition is.

FamVR

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2019
Hmm. Just three months in The Netherlands. Ok.

Some will probably say that we’re a rich country, others may scream: “discrimination”. Which in my opinion it’s not. Of course.

We’re always paying more for products and services. Here’s an example. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus costs €47800 Insane TAX country.

Last edited:

Ritmo

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Finland
Hmm. Just three months in The Netherlands. Ok.

Some will probably say that we’re a rich country, others may scream: “discrimination”. Which in my opinion it’s not. Of course.

We’re always paying more for products and services. Here’s an example. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus costs €47800 Insane TAX country.
Seeing only 3 months in Finland also :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.