Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Quick question - if I set a playlist on my Apple Watch to sync, does this playlist need to be offline on my iPhone too? I'm wondering if there is a way of having 2GB of music on my Apple Watch without it taking any space up on my iPhone (and available offline to listen to).

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Quick question - if I set a playlist on my Apple Watch to sync, does this playlist need to be offline on my iPhone too? I'm wondering if there is a way of having 2GB of music on my Apple Watch without it taking any space up on my iPhone (and available offline to listen to).

Yes for the playlist to sync to your watch it has to be saved offline on your iPhone.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Yes for the playlist to sync to your watch it has to be saved offline on your iPhone.

Thanks. I kind of figured as much.

It would be great if I could save 2GB space on my iPhone by having the music stored offline only on the Apple Watch.

Wishes, wishes, wishes...

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Unfortunately yes. My iPhone 6S was stolen a few weeks back so I bought a iPhone SE to tide me over until I can afford a new iPhone.

The unfortunate nature of wanting an expensive product!

Ahh man that's a bummer sorry to hear that.

tsang2320

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2014

After testing it with my Apple Watch, I can sync the playlist (downloaded) to my watch and then remove the downloads on my iPhone and still see the playlist on my watch if I choose watch as the source. I don't use Bluetooth headphones so can't see if they are still playable. May test it out on a small scale with yours.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Syning a playlist to your watch automatically downloads it to your phone then transfers it to the watch. You don't have to press download on your phone first, THEN sync to the watch.

Interesting that you can delete them from the phone afterwards tough and still play from the watch as tsang2320. That could be useful to you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.