Apple Music on ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by keeper, Dec 12, 2015.

1. keeper macrumors regular

Any views on Apple Music via the new ATV?
    Just wondering if it does a better job than using a Mac Mini.
    ATV could mean I could put the Mini in the office and just use it as a server.
    Would also be easier to use although i'd have to also get an HDMI splitter for SPDIF out?

Better that using airplay from a iPhone/Ipad?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I have found it good but sometimes a little quirky. Since it uses iCloud music and not your local files (if you want to use local files you need to go to HomeShare with Computers) the album art tends to be whatever Apple Music thinks it should be. Playlists play fine, but you will notice that sometimes there will be no album art for a track or it will display album art that is not what you have in your files. Most things are fine but this does occasionally happen. If you're real anal about that sort of thing, you might be disappointed.

Secondly, there is very limited (read that as: almost none) internet radio station streaming. I like to stream local radio stations to my AVR using the aTV. Apple Music on the Mac has this capability, Apple Music on the aTV is minimal. But I found an app that provides a solution: Receiver ($0.99). Works great.

Overall, I think Apple Music on the aTV is good and provides a way of using Apple Music without having to spend time in front of my Mac.

3. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Personally, I prefer the AppleTV app. Siri integration makes it better, even if it does not have my local library integrated with lossless files...you have to pull up the computer app for those.