Apple Music on ATV3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BadgerRivFan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. BadgerRivFan macrumors member

Forgive me if this is a stupid question... but I have a 3rd Gen Apple TV that I mainly use to play internet radio stations.

I also am an Apple Music subscriber and have been adding music from Apple Music to playlists on my iPhone that also have content that was purchased via the iTunes Store.

I tried to access the full playlist via the ATV3, but only the purchased music shows up. Is there a way to access ALL of the music in the playlist on the ATV3? If not, if I upgrade to an ATV4 will this issue be resolved?

2. Jason McAndrews macrumors member

Apple Music is not available on Apple TV 3. It would be available on either the Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K.

3. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I can't remember if the "3" has airplay or not (I think I remember it does), but that's the one way to make it work with AM, essentially making AM play on the iDevice and just using :apple:TV as the playback device via airplay.

Yes, buying a "4" or "4K" brings native AM playback to :apple:TV. And note: the DirectTV Now deal is still on through June 8 and offers the cheapest way to get a 4K even if you don't want the DirecTV service itself.

The "4" is next in line for the deprecation chopping block. I even wonder if some of the features just announced at WWDC will all run on the "4." If you listen to the presentation, they specifically reference the 4K instead of "4K and 4." So if I was buying a new unit, I'd aim for the latest instead of the prior. It's only a matter of time before something will fork the 2 on a functional level.

4. BadgerRivFan thread starter macrumors member

5. priitv8 macrumors 68040

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If all your music is already on your phone, just use the ATV like a BT receiver/playback. To me, it's a lot easier to navigate on the iPhone than through a clicker on the ATV, plus u wouldn't have to turn on the TV at all.

7. BadgerRivFan thread starter macrumors member

Again, thanks to all for your replies. I was aware that I could solve the issue by simply streaming the Playlist to the ATV3 via Airplay, but to my ears anyway the audio quality seems diminished when doing this versus playing music directly from the ATV3 as the source.

I host a large summer party with over 200 guests and use my ATV to play the music for the event. A concern of using Airplay during the party in addition to the audio quality, is that guests may text or call me and I do not want my music disrupted by notifications or ringtones, etc. I've decided to upgrade to an ATV4 which will better meet my needs. Thanks!