Apple music on smart TV (not Apple TV)

smalex1986@

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
I'm looking to upgrade my TV to 4K but I've been holding out until a new Apple TV comes out. I currently use the non 4K Apple TV to play Apple music through my sound system.

Since I don't know when the new Apple TV is coming out and TVs are getting better and better with their smart operating systems, is there a way to listen to Apple music without using an Apple TV like on ruku or Android or whatever Samsung uses.

Basically, it seems like the Apple TV box is becoming less and less useful and the only reason I use it is to listen to Apple music through my stereo. I want to be able to listen to Apple music in an app on the TV

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
I want to be able to listen to Apple music in an app on the TV
If the TV supports airplay then you can play by streaming from another device. If you have the physical tracks, i.e. you have ripped them to disk, you can set up a media server and play them via DNLA or the appropriate app if the TV supports it

Otherwise if the Apple app isn't available (which is likely the case) and you are streaming from Apple Music you are out of luck.

I'm looking to upgrade my TV to 4K but I've been holding out until a new Apple TV comes out.
Are you waiting for something specific? The 4K version doesn't have that many short comings. You may have a long wait.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
o does the Apple TV app on Samsung TVs allow you to play apple music?
Don't think so, but maybe someone who has one can give a definitive reply.

There are a number of threads about the poor performance of the Apple TV app on the Samsung, and why it's a better idea to go with an Apple TV.

smalex1986@

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Has there been any update when the new apple tv will come out?

The reason I'm hesitant to get the existing model is because it's over 2 years old. I'd like a new unit that has faster processors for more future proofing and ideally HDR 10 plus support