Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I stupidly deleted the Apple Music Playlists (classical/recently added..) and I want them back. I've managed to sync these smart playlists to my phone, but they show up under "My Playlists" and NOT "Apple Music Playlists." Is there anyway I can get them to show up there? I've been racking my brain but I can't figure out a way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit:

Am I mistaken? Are the smart playlists actually under the "My Playlists" and not under "Apple Music Playlists?" That is to say if in the playlist section you were to select Apple Music playlists, none of those smart playlists would show? If anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Hello? Can anyone please let me know if the default smart playlists show up under Apple Music Playlists or under My Playlists?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Are you talking about on your iPhone? If so unless you have a Playlist in a folder it will appear under All Playlists. Any Apple Music Playlist will have Apple Music under it.

IMG_0541_zpsvvyywfww.jpg

Reactions: nmeed

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Yes, on the iPhone. What I am referring to specifically is... you know how by default there's "My Top Rated" and "Recently Added" playlists (among others), do they show up under "Apple Music Playlists?" You see in that screenshot how it says "All Playlists?" If you were to select "Apple Music Playlists," would those default smart playlists I mentioned above show up under them?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not fully understanding what you are asking.

Smart Playlist are created on your Mac (or PC) in iTunes and update dynamically. They have a unique 'gear icon' in front of them (see pic 1). The show up under My Playlist because they are Playlists created by you.

Apple Music Playlist are not Smart Playlists and all have Apple Music .... under the name (see pic 2) and show up under Apple Music Playlist.

IMG_0542_zpsjgjuih94.jpg

IMG_0540_zps5cjairp8.jpg

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
You see where the arrow is... there. If you change that from "All Playlists" to "Apple Music Playlists," do those smart playlists show up there, those being the "Recently Added" and "Top Rated" playlists...?
Thanks so much for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0541_zpsvvyywfww.jpg
    IMG_0541_zpsvvyywfww.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 42

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You see where the arrow is... there. If you change that from "All Playlists" to "Apple Music Playlists," do those smart playlists show up there, those being the "Recently Added" and "Top Rated" playlists...?
Thanks so much for all your help.
No, Smart Playlists only show up in My Playlists because they are made by you and NOT made by Apple. You can only create or edit a Smart Playlist on your Mac in iTunes but you made them and you control the editing of them. They are YOUR (My) Playlists.

Only Apple made Apple Music Playlists show up under Apple Music Playlists. These Playlists are curated by Apple (or 3ed party) and you can't change or edit them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-14%20at%206.45.27%20PM_zpsczntcflt.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-14%20at%206.44.32%20PM_zpsqruwajaa.jpg

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Okay great. The thing is when I first registered for Apple music those playlists were there. I had never made them and I hadn't used iTunes in months. I'm a bit confused as to how they got there. And I could have sworn they were under "Apple Music Playlists" but I'll take your word for it. Thank you for all your help.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Okay great. The thing is when I first registered for Apple music those playlists were there. I had never made them and I hadn't used iTunes in months. I'm a bit confused as to how they got there. And I could have sworn they were under "Apple Music Playlists" but I'll take your word for it. Thank you for all your help.
I see, Apple/iTunes does auto create a few Smart Playlists for you when you install (has been this way for YEARS). However you can edit, rename or delete them. They are 100% yours now. They are just created to offer some examples (just a taste) of what YOU can do with Smart Playlists.

Smart Playlist are super powerful tools that allow you to curate your musical Library in an infinite variety of ways only limited by your imagination.

Apple Music Playlists on the other hand are 'locked' and curated by Apple and are the diametric opposite of Smart Playlists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.