Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I just signed up for Apple music so I can give it a shot for a while (I had it when it was first launched with the 3 month free promotion)

Anywho when I tried to add a song to my library in order to create a playlist it asked me to turn on icloud music.... Am I missing something or is there another way? I just simply want to make a playlist and download the songs on to my phone for offline listening with no interest in using icloud music.... Why am i being forced to use icloud music? I dont remember this being the case when I tried it for 3 months.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
After doing some research online it appears that I have to use icloud music in order to add anything to my library... WTF APPLE!!!! that's so asinine. I have a huge music library with a ton of DJ mixes and I've meticulously edited all of my metadata to how I want it I dont want icloud music screwing it up as I've heard some horror stories. I guess I'll be going to spotify, unless someone knows of a way around this.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
After doing some research online it appears that I have to use icloud music in order to add anything to my library... WTF APPLE!!!! that's so asinine. I have a huge music library with a ton of DJ mixes and I've meticulously edited all of my metadata to how I want it I dont want icloud music screwing it up as I've heard some horror stories. I guess I'll be going to spotify, unless someone knows of a way around this.

If you want to add :apple:Music to your Library you must have iCloud Music Library selected.

Simply make a backup of your current Library and no mater what happens you are covered.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
But even having a backup can be a big hassle if your Library can screwed up as you wouldn't know which backup to re-install. It could be months before you discover that Apple Music had changed some metadata or whatever in your iTunes Library. I like Apple Music when I used during the free trial, but the horror stories concerning your iTunes Library made me conclude it's too risky to sign up for Apple. In the old days, I'd feel it's a rare bug, but lately Apple hasn't been as good in squashing out the bugs.

If I don't create any additional playlists could I keep iCloud Music Library off and just use Apple Music to stream music?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
But even having a backup can be a big hassle if your Library can screwed up as you wouldn't know which backup to re-install. It could be months before you discover that Apple Music had changed some metadata or whatever in your iTunes Library. I like Apple Music when I used during the free trial, but the horror stories concerning your iTunes Library made me conclude it's too risky to sign up for Apple. In the old days, I'd feel it's a rare bug, but lately Apple hasn't been as good in squashing out the bugs.

If I don't create any additional playlists could I keep iCloud Music Library off and just use Apple Music to stream music?

I don't really understand your concern. Make a backup of the iTunes folder, then write a label with date on it.

As mentioned above, you won't be able to add Apple Music songs to your library unless you turn on iCloud Music Library.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I don't really understand your concern. Make a backup of the iTunes folder, then write a label with date on it.

As mentioned above, you won't be able to add Apple Music songs to your library unless you turn on iCloud Music Library.
If Apple Music screws my iTunes Library I wouldn't know when it happened and thus would have to try out all my backups until I got the one without the screw up. I'd recover, but would take time.

If I don't download Apple Music songs to my library then I don't need to turn on iCloud Music Library? I just want to use Apple Music for streaming. I'm happy not using and having the benefit of iCloud Music Library.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
If Apple Music screws my iTunes Library I wouldn't know when it happened and thus would have to try out all my backups until I got the one without the screw up. I'd recover, but would take time.

Keep *one* backup of your "before Apple Music" library. I don't know why you're overthinking this.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
Keep *one* backup of your "before Apple Music" library. I don't know why you're overthinking this.
Some of us greatly value the meta data, such as last played and # of plays. So if Apple Music screws up his library and he doesn't realize it for a few months, he'd have to roll back to the most recent non-screwed up one in order to lose the least amount of data.

I have the same concerns, and it is literally the only reason I'm not a subscriber to Apple Music. I tried iTunes Match when it came out and it was a complete catastrophe. After a couple years Apple Music came out and I tried that but the matching aspect was STILL a complete catastrophe. So I still don't trust it, and it sounds like it hasn't gotten any better.

Unless I'm wrong? Have people that owned music before iTunes existed still have major problems? Or does Apple finally give precedence to the users' tags? I don't want my live collection to get confused again. Or random songs matched to different albums than the rest of the album.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.