Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music today launched a new curated playlist called "New Music Daily," which as the name suggests, is updated every day with fresh songs.

apple-music-new-music-daily-playlist.jpg

Made up of "new music you simply can't miss" from a broad range of genres spanning the globe, the new playlist replaces the service's long-established "Best of the Week" playlist, which was updated every Friday.

Today's U.K. mix consists of 62 songs lasting 3 hours and 38 minutes, and includes tracks from the likes of Taylor Swift, Kano, Ed Sheeran, Headie One, and Joesef. In other regions and territories, the New Music Daily playlist includes a unique selection of artists closer to home.

Omg umpah umpah on Apple music's new music daily playlist 👀 pic.twitter.com/ghYdyXCstv - AMERICAN BLINK (@blinkinamerica) August 23, 2019

Just how thoroughly Apple Music's human curation team will refresh the mix of songs each day remains to be seen, but you'd think music-lovers can at least expect a regular sprinkling of new tracks among any lingering popular hits.

Spotify's Daily Mix serves up personalized playlists based on the listener's favorite songs and related music they might enjoy, but it's algorithmically generated, not human curated. The closest equivalent on the rival service is Daily Fresh Finds, which is updated by human hands with 10 new tracks every day.

Article Link: Apple Music Replaces 'Best of the Week' Playlist With 'New Music Daily'

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Love Apple Music but I still go back to Spotify for finding new music.

I'm always seeing very positive opinions about Spotify so I'm finally giving it a try since I can test it out for three months. Both services seem very similar so far. I can't say I enjoy Spotify's UI but that's probably because I'm so used to Apple Music at this point and not because there's anything wrong with the UI. I would appreciate it if someone could point to where I should be exploring Spotify so I can see why it's a better experience.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
"new music you simply can't miss” ... next to an image of Taylor Swift.

Ironic.

Totally. I feel that all this recommended stuff is “All the music you want to hear, as long as it’s nothing but hip-hop and Taylor Swift”

Reactions: Huck

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I would appreciate it if someone could point to where I should be exploring Spotify so I can see why it's a better experience.

Once you’ve saved some of your favorite albums and artists, and “liked” your favorite songs, check out Release Radar and Discover Weekly. Will likely take a couple weeks for the algorithm to figure out what you like.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always seeing very positive opinions about Spotify so I'm finally giving it a try since I can test it out for three months. Both services seem very similar so far. I can't say I enjoy Spotify's UI but that's probably because I'm so used to Apple Music at this point and not because there's anything wrong with the UI. I would appreciate it if someone could point to where I should be exploring Spotify so I can see why it's a better experience.
No one can point you where to experience Spotify as a better music service than Apple Music since it just isn’t the case—it’s as simple as that!
People still hanging on to Spotify don’t want the effort of rebuilding their playlists. New users of Spotify are ”convinced” by current Spotify users who speak highly of a service they want to opt out from but haven’t taken the effort of doing so—at least for iPhone users.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
No one can point you where to experience Spotify as a better music service than Apple Music since it just isn’t the case—it’s as simple as that!
People still hanging on to Spotify don’t want the effort of rebuilding their playlists. New users of Spotify are ”convinced” by current Spotify users who speak highly of a service they want to opt out from but haven’t taken the effort of doing so—at least for iPhone users.
This is simply not true. I have used both extensively. I gave Apple Music months to learn my musical tastes, and it continually failed to offer music recommendations that I enjoyed. It’s not even close to Spotify in terms of discovery algorithms.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I don't know what's more alarming... the fact that there are so many explicit tracks on the list or the fact that people enjoy listening to them. Geez what has happened to music?

Reactions: Bitácora and Huck

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I don't know what's more alarming... the fact that there are so many explicit tracks on the list or the fact that people enjoy listening to them. Geez what has happened to music?
I believe the logic behind the rise in explicit music has something to do with freedom of self expression and art. Sadly, those of us who enjoy listening to clean versions of music are in the minority.

Reactions: Unity451

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
To clarify - I pay for Apple Music because I have invested 10 years in iTunes and they let me use all my playlists. I use the ad based spotify to find new music.

I listened to the new list (Friday is my day at work for normally listening to the Apple New Music List - a habit from Spotify) and it is far too mainstream. It has 4 songs by one artist (Taylor Swift who I don't mind) which is way too many and means they are excluding new interesting indie music I might want to hear. So my vote so far is this list sucks and is no longer aimed at me.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
BS. Spotify is available on far more devices, has infinitely better personal recommendations and available curated playlists, and for people with game consoles, it can be streamed while you play. AM is amateur hour. Especially when you consider Apple has no web player still and they force you to use iTunes on Mac and Windows.

Last edited:

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
To clarify - I pay for Apple Music because I have invested 10 years in iTunes and they let me use all my playlists. I use the ad based spotify to find new music.

I listened to the new list (Friday is my day at work for normally listening to the Apple New Music List - a habit from Spotify) and it is far too mainstream. It has 4 songs by one artist (Taylor Swift who I don't mind) which is way too many and means they are excluding new interesting indie music I might want to hear. So my vote so far is this list sucks and is no longer aimed at me.
It's not always like that. Usually highly anticipated album releases have more than one track that make this list. For the most part I think it's usually just one new track from an artist. I find that I'm listening to music and artists I've never heard of most of the time.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
It's time for the daily "today's music confuses and angers me" thread, I see.

Seriously, art is subjective, music is an art. Not everyone is going to like the same art/music. Let people like what they like. Nobody is making you listen to it.

I personally don't like Country music but I respect it as an art and respect artist that have had success and have released music that have been positive for people who enjoy that genre of music.

Reactions: ErikGrim and bpp85

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
"new music you simply can't miss” ... next to an image of Taylor Swift.

Ironic.

Totally. I feel that all this recommended stuff is “All the music you want to hear, as long as it’s nothing but hip-hop and Taylor Swift”

You both know there are Apple playlist for other genres, moods etc right? And ya top 40 current music is probably going to get top billing for advertising playlists. Am I taking crazy pills or wouldn't that just be common sense? Don't other streaming services act similarly in promoting playlists?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.