Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last November, Apple launched new "Replay" playlists within Apple Music, letting its subscribers discover which songs they listened the most to every year they've been using Apple Music. At the time of the announcement, the company said that users would be able to track their listening habits throughout 2020, and now it has made the "Replay 2020" playlist available to add to your Apple Music library (via Federico Viticci on Twitter).

apple-music-replay-2020.png

To do so, head to Apple Music on the web to get your Replays, then scroll all the way down on the page to find the yearly Replay playlists. "2020 Replay" should be the first one you see, and you can add it to your library by clicking "Add." Afterwards, the playlist will appear on Apple Music across your Apple devices, and as you listen to music throughout the year, new songs will rise up to the top of the playlists, and songs you don't listen to as much will descend. Up to 100 songs will eventually occupy "2020 Replay" by the year's end.

These Replay playlists are Apple's response to Spotify Wrapped, which provides Spotify users with interesting stats on who their most listened to artists, songs, genres, and more were throughout the year. Apple Music Replay is a bit more straightforward, listing your top 100 favorite songs of each year, but you can find more about your favorite albums and artists on Apple Music on the web. Apple Music's ability to showcase your top music from each specific year is also an advantage over Spotify Wrapped.

Apple Music? subscribers can access Apple Music Replay on the web and add the playlists to iOS or Mac devices. At one point, Replay was available directly from the Apple Music app on iOS (on the Browse tab), but this was only a temporary feature highlighting the end of 2019.

Article Link: Apple Music 'Replay 2020' Playlist Now Available, Will Update With Your Most Streamed Music Every Week

Last edited:

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
For those of us that have Apple Music, have you notice that on your receipts ? Apple started to charger two different taxes? I normally don’t look at the email receipt from Apple because I thought they were always charging me 14.99 and now it’s 16.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
It baffles me that we have to do ANYTHING on the web. I use Apple music on my phone, and only on my phone. I was confused for days as to why my replay playlists weren't showing up, and then I found out that they were only available—ONLY—on the web. That's absurd. Surely it's the case that the number of people using the web interface on a regular basis versus the iOS interface (or even the desktop) is vanishingly small.

But there's not even a LINK in the iOS app to let you know. How the hell are we supposed to find out? Scrying? The Oracle at Delphi? Not everyone reads MacRumors. :p

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Cool , now it would be nice if the app actually updates my weekly mixes because they’ve been gone for weeks and apple has no idea why.

My Apple Music has been a complete mess lately with for you not updating unless I close out the app or switch tabs then switch back , artwork takes forever to load.

Yes I’ve been through resetting everything, reinstalling, turning things off and on , etc etc.

Apple support is clueless. But from what I’ve been reading around the web there seems to be some serious back end server issues going on.

Reactions: whsbuss

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It baffles me that we have to do ANYTHING on the web. I use Apple music on my phone, and only on my phone. I was confused for days as to why my replay playlists weren't showing up, and then I found out that they were only available—ONLY—on the web. That's absurd. Surely it's the case that the number of people using the web interface on a regular basis versus the iOS interface (or even the desktop) is vanishingly small.

But there's not even a LINK in the iOS app to let you know. How the hell are we supposed to find out? Scrying? The Oracle at Delphi? Not everyone reads MacRumors. :p

Add it to the myriad of giant question marks on Apple's software lately. They are terrible with this stuff. They have an attitude that as long as something kind of works , then it works to them.

All the internal insider info the last year has pointed to much proof of it. How tons of minor bugs that have been around for months or years never get patched. Only whats deemed "major" or "show stopping" by Apple is what gets attention. So what we have now is years of half -baked stuff that mostly kinda sorta works but doesn't for most of their apps.

But now that iOS 13 has added so many features ,that just adds to the potential issues down the road.

Ironically the public beta programs was meant to remedy that.

They need a complete re-working of how they test and launch software. iOS 13 was pure proof of some sort of internal mess thats going on with the software team. Staggered iOS, iPad OS, WatchOS rollouts. Bricking HomePods, massive RAM management issues where people couldn't even use their iPad to switch apps without constant reloading.

They really need to knock it off with the yearly major iOS updates if they cant handle it. It's ok now Apple, we've reached a saturation point with phones. Every year doesn't need to have 15 blockbuster features that end up half baked. For the last two years announcing stuff that we find out later will be "coming soon" or "Later this year" or never at all.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Add it to the myriad of giant question marks on Apple's software lately. They are terrible with this stuff. They have an attitude that as long as something kind of works , then it works to them.

All the internal insider info the last year has pointed to much proof of it. How tons of minor bugs that have been around for months or years never get patched. Only whats deemed "major" or "show stopping" by Apple is what gets attention. So what we have now is years of half -baked stuff that mostly kinda sorta works but doesn't for most of their apps.

But now that iOS 13 has added so many features ,that just adds to the potential issues down the road.

Ironically the public beta programs was meant to remedy that.

They need a complete re-working of how they test and launch software. iOS 13 was pure proof of some sort of internal mess thats going on with the software team. Staggered iOS, iPad OS, WatchOS rollouts. Bricking HomePods, massive RAM management issues where people couldn't even use their iPad to switch apps without constant reloading.

They really need to knock it off with the yearly major iOS updates if they cant handle it. It's ok now Apple, we've reached a saturation point with phones. Every year doesn't need to have 15 blockbuster features that end up half baked. For the last two years announcing stuff that we find out later will be "coming soon" or "Later this year" or never at all.

The thing is, iOS (for iPhone) is the best thing they released last year, OS-wise. (I can't speak to the watch, I admit.)

iPad OS is still a confusing mess, and I won't even install Catalina. There's literally no upside to Catalina for me as a non-developer. I want their OSes on staggered 2-year cycles. iOS & iPad OS feature year/MacOS feature year. On 'off years', they can do bug fixes, with some small allowances to support new hardware features.

Reactions: jonnyb098

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The thing is, iOS (for iPhone) is the best thing they released last year, OS-wise. (I can't speak to the watch, I admit.)

iPad OS is still a confusing mess, and I won't even install Catalina. There's literally no upside to Catalina for me as a non-developer. I want their OSes on staggered 2-year cycles. iOS & iPad OS feature year/MacOS feature year. On 'off years', they can do bug fixes, with some small allowances to support new hardware features.
Thats exactly right and what they need to do. Like the phones. Add a couple cool things every year and perfect everything else. And keep it this way. Because what may be a bug fix heavy iOS 14, it means next year iOS 15 will then be a mess again.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks MacRumors ! I've been enjoying these lists and wouldn't have known but for you

zepfhyr

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009

The Replay 2020 playlist isn't even showing up for everyone, so it's pretty clearly a beta feature that was only discovered in the beta web player, but isn't ready for prime time. At the end of 2020, when they want everyone to have it, it will show up in the Music app, just like it did for 2019. Until then, you're not supposed to find out, because it's not ready for release.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I see nothing except the 2020 replay screen..... when clicked it says I haven't played enough to generate a list. Really Apple? I listen every day to my music. And there's no other years from the past as mentioned in the article.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I see nothing except the 2020 replay screen..... when clicked it says I haven't played enough to generate a list. Really Apple? I listen every day to my music. And there's no other years from the past as mentioned in the article.
That’s why it’s a non advertised beta feature.

mhazen36

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
"You haven't listened to enough music to generate a playlist."
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I had the same issue, yet I listen to music everyday. I think it's because I download all of my music instead of streaming it. Really wish apple would fix is so that it includes music that you listen to over download.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I had the same issue, yet I listen to music everyday. I think it's because I download all of my music instead of streaming it. Really wish apple would fix is so that it includes music that you listen to over download.
Does it only create lists for music in your library? I listen to many recommended playlists and radio. Guess that doesn’t count

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
It’s pretty pathetic that you have to use the web... come on Apple, build this stuff into the app! I try my best to love and tolerate Apple Music but you make it incredibly difficult!

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
It’s pretty pathetic that you have to use the web... come on Apple, build this stuff into the app! I try my best to love and tolerate Apple Music but you make it incredibly difficult!
If you click the link in the article on iPhone
and request the desktop version of the site, the beta site will load on iPhone. Not great, but it’s a quick workaround.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I must be missing something. I was hoping that this would be a Sirius/XM replacement, where I could tell it to play 'alternative grunge', and it would play 'alternative and grunge' until the cows came home.

What am I missing?

It seems to be far more 'playlist orientated' and less 'here's more alternative grunge you may not have heard before'. *shrug*

So now I can play tracks I've already listened to? Okay. Um...

zepfhyr

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009

It will be available on the phone at the end of the year, just like the Replay 2019 playlist was. It's almost certainly not meant to be live already, as it's not showing up for everyone.
[automerge]1581994256[/automerge]
I must be missing something. I was hoping that this would be a Sirius/XM replacement, where I could tell it to play 'alternative grunge', and it would play 'alternative and grunge' until the cows came home.

What am I missing?

It seems to be far more 'playlist orientated' and less 'here's more alternative grunge you may not have heard before'. *shrug*

So now I can play tracks I've already listened to? Okay. Um...

If you tell Siri to "play my music", she'll start a radio station called "Your Name's Station". It will play Apple Music tracks that are already in your library (whether added only in Apple Music or matched from your library). Not sure what it does in the event that you don't have an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
It will be available on the phone at the end of the year, just like the Replay 2019 playlist was. It's almost certainly not meant to be live already, as it's not showing up for everyone.
[automerge]1581994256[/automerge]

If you tell Siri to "play my music", she'll start a radio station called "Your Name's Station". It will play Apple Music tracks that are already in your library (whether added only in Apple Music or matched from your library). Not sure what it does in the event that you don't have an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription.
My 2019 replay list never showed either.

Reactions: RealMonster

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
For those of us that have Apple Music, have you notice that on your receipts ? Apple started to charger two different taxes? I normally don’t look at the email receipt from Apple because I thought they were always charging me 14.99 and now it’s 16.

Sorry, Bro!

I pay my Apple Music subscription annually... I used to wait till the end of the year and catch eBay, BestBuy spends $65-80 to get a $100 iTunes card. But thus with Apple Card just as seen on tv infomercials set it n forget it !!! :cool::cool::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.