Apple Music Rolling Out 'Friends Mix' Highlighting Songs Your Friends Listened To Each Week

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music appears to be rolling out an all-new weekly playlist called "Friends Mix" to a few subscribers today. According to Reddit user Reesyy, the new curated playlist will be filled with songs that your Apple Music friends are listening to.

In order to keep track of which friend listened to each song, the playlist will include a profile picture on the songs as well. Friends Mix will update on Monday every week and include 25 tracks in each update, similar to the other Apple Music weekly playlists.

[​IMG]
    Image via Redditor Reesyy

Friends Mix is making new use out of the social features that Apple debuted in iOS 11 last year, which lets users build their own Apple Music profiles and show friends the playlists and albums that they're listening to. This information is then displayed on a playlist or album's information page and within the "Friends Are Listening To" section in For You, and now it'll also be used to fill up the new Friends Mix.

Friends Mix is joining Favorites Mix (which updates on Tuesdays), New Music Mix (Fridays), and Chill Mix (Sundays) as the fourth Apple Music weekly playlist. Apple originally launched versions of New Music Mix and Favorites Mix in the iOS 10 public beta in September 2016, followed by Chill mix in June 2017, so it's been well over a year since we've seen a new weekly playlist debut.

Like the other playlists, you'll be able to find Friends Mix sitting atop the "For You" tab in Apple Music. It's unclear on which version of iOS Apple is rolling out the playlist, but the poster on Reddit does reference being on the iOS 12 public beta.

Otherwise, Apple Music isn't getting much of an overhaul in iOS 12, which is expected to launch in September. Subscribers will notice updated artist profiles with larger portraits on the iOS app, and Apple has already opened up a new "Coming Soon" section for users on iOS 11 as well.

Article Link: Apple Music Rolling Out 'Friends Mix' Highlighting Songs Your Friends Listened To Each Week

2. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

3. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

I do. I make public playlists, check out my friend’s playlists, and share songs with them all the time. This feature seems like it could been fun, easy and useful.

My big asks for the next version of Apple Music are dark mode and a better, more specific, and more obvious way of showing which songs on an album are the most popular with other users.

4. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

This is one of my favorite parts of Apple Music, too. My friends and I just started making our own weekly playlists for one another, which has been super helpful with new music discovery for me. What I'd like is an in-app way to share/recommend individual songs to a friend, because as it stands the Messages app is a bit clunky.

5. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

I listen to a lot of girly edm. I definitely don’t want my friends knowing what I listen to.

6. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I use them about as much as I used Ping, which is to say I don't. imo it would have been preferable for Apple to team up with last.fm. Apple Music's Connect also seems relatively useless to me in its current form.

1.PNG

7. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Now I just need to get friends.

How much Apple will charge me a month for a dozen pretend friends??

8. grobik macrumors member

grobik

Meh. The social features in Apple music just showed me how little I have musically in common with my friends.

9. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Yes, that! There is an Apple Music extension for Messages but it’s only helpful for songs you just listened to in your recent history.

10. cinq2 macrumors newbie

cinq2

It's a good feature, of course it is. Anything in that direction is good.
    What I really miss is the ability to share my playlists with non Apple Music sunscribers.

11. FrankieG889D macrumors member

Still waiting for live playlists where anybody can add to a live playlist. I think they called it “party playlists” at the iOS 11 keynote.

12. 0970373 Suspended

Same - the updates they made in allowing public playlists were great but AM still has a ways to go. I suspect they are trying to find ways to do things without straight up copying other music services but honestly, who cares. Borrow & modify.

They really need to work on finding playlists from people you don't already know. On Spotify, this was a really fun & easy way to find new music IMO. AM kind of buries their social features so it makes it passive aggressive media. lol. But you know...baby steps.

13. Fynd macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if that's what this is, but you can currently do this with AirPlay 2. Anyone on your WIFI can add to a shared queue on any AirPlay 2 device. I use it a fair bit.

14. 0970373 Suspended

You can...sort of. But you probably mean you want non-AM friends to be able to listen to the link you send them, right?
    You can grab a link from the share function. If on a desktop, it'll pull show you the playlist in browser. If on an iPhone/iPad, it'll open the Music app and show you the songs even if they aren't subscribed to AM. If you try to play it, it'll ask you to subscribe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Reminds me of Ping, probably it will be perceived more positive using the Apple Music branding and momentum.

16. iSayuSay, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Music sleep timer on HomePod please?
    And more personalized “For You” section. New, Favorite, and Chill Mix are the only truly personalized playlists, it’s not enough.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2018 ---
    What does that accomplish? If you share your playlist, you might wanna get your list playable on their ends? Which means another AM subscription

If you mean a “generic” playlist that works across all streaming platforms, then yes it’d be a great idea, but you’ll need to have Spotify, Pandora, Google, Amazon and Apple to work together on common format for music playlist.

17. Coffee50 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I feel the same way. We have some of the same interest, but overall not enough to warrant a weekly playlist.

18. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

I wish my friends were using Apple Music...

19. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Meh. My AM subscription ran out last week. Back on Spotify exclusively (subscribed to both for several months). AM still needs some work before I go back - this new playlist isn’t one of them.

20. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends mix. This is what I imagine my friends' response would be, "Yo, I'll tell you what I DON'T want, what I really really DON'T want." And this is why friendship never ends because if I really bug them then they'll say goodbye.

21. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

This is another example of Apple respecting the art of music. One of the very best ways to discover new artists and music has always been through your friends and connections. It's good to see Apple offering a modern take on this.

22. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

I don’t, but I must be in the minority of people who don’t care what other people do online.

23. 0970373 Suspended

The new Friends Mix showed up today and I really kind of love it. A few surprises and new music I hadn't heard before from friends who have really good taste in music. A few songs that are definitely guilty pleasures for some that will be the source of endless jokes in the near future. lol.

Wait...what songs did they tell people *I* listen to?