Apple Music Royalties and Offline Listening.

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by iFanaddic, Jun 29, 2015.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Since Apple pays the artist per listen, I assume the more I listen to a song the more the artist gets paid..Right? If my thinking is correct then what happens for songs listened to offline?

I assume the counter still runs in the background and the info is sent back to Apple once the phone reconnects to the internet? Do we know?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Probably, yes. Don't think we can verify this though, but does it matter?

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

To some of us it does.

If I can make a difference for indie artists (75% of my music consomption) I wanna take the necessary steps to make sure they're work is being rewarded. Even if that means not listening to offline music.

4. gsmumbo macrumors regular

gsmumbo

It always counts your plays, even when offline. I imagine it will just sync up the count the next time you have internet.

5. lchlch macrumors 6502a

If you look at your playlists one of the defaults is titled "25 Most Played". From there I assume that a counter is updated every time a song is played.

It wouldn't be hard for Apple to gather that data in an anonymous fashion in order to determine how much they need to pay the artists.

6. jponce97 macrumors member

Spotify does the same
    It keeps the counter going offline and when you reconnect it syncs the data back to the server, or spotify, either or the artist gets paid.