Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music appears to have removed the personalized artwork for Apple Music's personal radio stations feature, replacing users' artwork with a uniform graphic.

apple-music-personal-radio-stations.jpg

Personalized algorithmic radio stations is a popular Apple Music feature that auto-generates a custom radio station for a user based on their listening habits and preferences.

Apple Music previously generated a custom personal radio station graphic based on a user's Apple Music profile picture, but Apple now appears to have removed this feature, replacing all personal radio station artwork with an identical red graphic. The change may be in line with a number of amendments to Apple Music's artwork that have taken place over the last year, such as animated album covers.

The change, first spotted by users on Reddit, appears to have taken place very recently. Some users seem to be unhappy about the change, commenting that the "profile picture variant made it feel more personal than this." Another downside seems to be that when listening to another user's personal radio station now, the only way to tell who the station is from is by a small profile picture in the bottom right-hand corner, rather than from the artwork itself.

Article Link: Apple Music Scraps Personalized Artwork for Personal Radio Stations

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Not to be judgmental, instead of curious, but that sounds stupid. I don't use any of this stuff, but I know I find most of the music in my library in iTunes just by recognizing the album cover. Never can remember names of things. You would think the former king of interfaces, and current king of indecipherable icons would understand that.

Comment

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Portland, Or
I don’t know why but personal radio keeps suggesting music I don’t like... even though I’ve given sufficient information to Apple about my preferences (through “love” button I think)
something that irks me about Apple Music, supposedly it's not just about what you "like" but what you have in your library (and what's in your library out ranks your likes). So if you are one that likes complete albums even though you only like a few a songs off those albums you're not gonna get new stuff you enjoy.

I wish they'd give an option to just suggest new music off of what is "liked"

Comment

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
I don’t know why but personal radio keeps suggesting music I don’t like... even though I’ve given sufficient information to Apple about my preferences (through “love” button I think)
Subtle message from Apple that you have poor taste in music and that you should be listening to what they're suggesting :p because Apple knows best.

Comment

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Wow, it's all about the taking away with Apple at the moment.
This and the HomePod cancellation feels like that time period where Apple took away Aperture. I haven't quite felt the same about Apple since that happened. HomePod felt like it was finally hitting its stride with Atmos support. If I knew that they were going to cancel it a few months later, I would have re-considered getting a second one.

Comment

jamcgahey

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
Oh, Apple Music, it is nice to see that you are making changes. However, there is a long list of actual impactful changes you could make that your users have been asking for ages to have. To name a few: better music discovery, the ability to pick up where you left off at if you exit out of the app or play on a different device, the ability to organize playlists by date added/alphabetically/etc on the phone app (which I believe most people use the service on?) to name a few.

Did I leave out any other super important ones?

Comment

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
So much for being design-oriented. That default graphic is awful and basically just takes up space for no reason at this point.

Not that I needed any more reasons to subscribe to Spotify, but still
Same for the ugly cogwheels in playlists, which are sometimes - miraculously - replaced by one of your cover arts.

Off Topic - just about your spoiler. It is not about size, that matters. Just use it as reference without the need to mention every time, that you know, what you are talking about and others do not think you do not know, what you are talking about, beacuse you do not mention, you own, what you are talking about. ;-)

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno
Comment

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Oh, Apple Music, it is nice to see that you are making changes. However, there is a long list of actual impactful changes you could make that your users have been asking for ages to have. To name a few: better music discovery, the ability to pick up where you left off at if you exit out of the app or play on a different device, the ability to organize playlists by date added/alphabetically/etc on the phone app (which I believe most people use the service on?) to name a few.

Did I leave out any other super important ones?
You did. Countless...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.