Apple music sound and volume

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Delo3228, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Delo3228 macrumors newbie

Delo3228

I've read all the posts out there about volume limit and volume check and that is not the issue. The issue is that Apple music just doesn't play at the equivalent (normal) volume of any other service or input device in the car, my home theater system, my portable speaker, etc.

I'm an Apple fan but this is a deal breaker... It *****... I love the service. The radio algorithms and music selection are top notch, but there are other music services that play at a much louder, more crisp sounding level. I hope Apple does something about this.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple so far has resisted falling into the 'loudness wars' trap that almost all other services have. If you want it louder you attenuate. Unfortunately what you actually want is compressed dynamic rage which increases perceived loudness. Hopefully Apple will continue offering music with a higher dynamic range, even if it does not 'sound as loud'.

What irony that 20 years ago using limited dynamic range analog recorders engineers strived for dynamic music. Now with 24 bit digital's 144dB dynamic range engineers push for music with a typical compressed dynamic range of less than 10dB to make it sound 'loud'.