Apple Music Sound Output

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by boomhower, Jul 18, 2016.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

When listening to music from my Apple TV via the Music app it only outputs a 2.0 signal rendering my sub useless and drastically changing the quality of the music. Any way to change this I am not seeing? It's not a hardware issue as watching movies it works fine. Thanks.

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

I think most music is recorded in stereo. you would have to access your tuner's built in settings for manipulating the processing.

3. HobeSoundDarryl, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    That's right. It would be the same if you were playing from a stereo (vinyl) album or a CD too. Fix this problem by changing the settings in your receiver.

Movies are probably working fine because they are explicitly encoded for 5.1 or higher surround sound, so your receiver automatically involves the sub.

4. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

It is not a receiver issue. If I airplay the same song from my macbook to the Apple TV it plays as it should putting the lows to the sub, it is an Apple Music on the Apple TV problem not a receiver issue.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What's selected in settings> audio > surround

6. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

Thanks! Changed from best available to 5.1 and about got slapped by my wife a 0300HRS. That fixed it. Certainly "Best Available" wasn't best available. She did not perceive the value of my HSU
    VTF-3 MK5 HP (copy paste, didn't mean to be so big) as I did.

7. Poontaco macrumors regular

That doesn't make any sense.
    If it is actually a stereo signal being sent to your receiver, then your receiver is the only thing that decides what is sent to your sub.

8. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

See above. It was the Apple TV and not the receiver. I had best available selected as the output, once it was changed to 5.1 the issue was resolved.