Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
When listening to music from my Apple TV via the Music app it only outputs a 2.0 signal rendering my sub useless and drastically changing the quality of the music. Any way to change this I am not seeing? It's not a hardware issue as watching movies it works fine. Thanks.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
When listening to music from my Apple TV via the Music app it only outputs a 2.0 signal rendering my sub useless and drastically changing the quality of the music. Any way to change this I am not seeing? It's not a hardware issue as watching movies it works fine. Thanks.

I think most music is recorded in stereo. you would have to access your tuner's built in settings for manipulating the processing.

That's right. It would be the same if you were playing from a stereo (vinyl) album or a CD too. Fix this problem by changing the settings in your receiver.

Movies are probably working fine because they are explicitly encoded for 5.1 or higher surround sound, so your receiver automatically involves the sub.

Last edited:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
It is not a receiver issue. If I airplay the same song from my macbook to the Apple TV it plays as it should putting the lows to the sub, it is an Apple Music on the Apple TV problem not a receiver issue.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
What's selected in settings> audio > surround

Thanks! Changed from best available to 5.1 and about got slapped by my wife a 0300HRS. That fixed it. Certainly "Best Available" wasn't best available. She did not perceive the value of my HSU
VTF-3 MK5 HP (copy paste, didn't mean to be so big) as I did.

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
It is not a receiver issue. If I airplay the same song from my macbook to the Apple TV it plays as it should putting the lows to the sub, it is an Apple Music on the Apple TV problem not a receiver issue.

That doesn't make any sense.
If it is actually a stereo signal being sent to your receiver, then your receiver is the only thing that decides what is sent to your sub.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
That doesn't make any sense.
If it is actually a stereo signal being sent to your receiver, then your receiver is the only thing that decides what is sent to your sub.

See above. It was the Apple TV and not the receiver. I had best available selected as the output, once it was changed to 5.1 the issue was resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.