Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A bug that caused the Apple Music app to install itself directly into the dock when downloaded from the App Store has been fixed in the latest iOS developer beta.

apple-music.jpg

Appearing early last month and later acknowledge by Apple, the unintended bug would make the Apple Music app drop straight into the Dock without user permission, sometimes even replacing other first and third-party apps located there.

iOS devices running iOS 15.4.1 are affected, and we were also able to get ‌Apple Music‌ to install itself over another app in the iOS 15.5 beta.

However, as spotted by Aaron Zollo, Apple appears to have fixed the bug in iOS 15.6 Beta 2, suggesting the issue will be resolved for all users when iOS 15.6 is officially released.

Article Link: Apple Music Stops Replacing Other Apps in the Dock in iOS 15.6 Beta 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Lcgiv

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
but but what will Tim Sweeny complain about now?

He actually thought it was not a bug and Apple did it on purpose.

Remember Tim support Facebooks AR/VR store and headset
People who don’t understand how things work (such as the iPhone loading default stock apps in default stock locations) are usually the first to invent conspiracies about how thing work (such as Apple maliciously replacing third party music apps with Apple Music).

TimB21

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
That's not a bug, that's a feature! (Can you tell I was a product manager?)

Some people freakin' love conspiracies.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
BTW, anyone that does believe that this was a bug, PM me. I've got a bridge in central London that is a really good deal.

Of course it was a bug. You think they wanted this behaviour? Didn’t think people would mind? ?

The code I imagine was designed to run on new phones being setup for the first time when icons are originally placed in their default positions and the bug caused that code to run when it wasn’t wanted.

What on earth would Apple gain by doing it deliberately?

People search for conspiracy theories everywhere.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
This problem doesn't just affect the Music app. Since I regularly play with different calendar and task management apps, I've been running into this with the stock Calendars and Reminders apps since iOS 14 first introduced the App Library. If you remove Calendar or Reminders from your Home Screen and then re-add them from the App Library, they'll go back to their default positions on the first page of the Home Screen, bumping everything else out of the way.

In this case, they don't replace anything, as that's not how normal home screens work. Instead, whatever was in the last slot on page one gets bumped to the next page. The Dock just makes it seem a bit more controversial since you can't bump an app out of the Dock; you have to remove one before you can add another.

The only thing that's unusual is that it doesn't affect all of Apple's first-party apps, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the ones that are. Certainly it's hard to come up with a conspiracy theory for why Apple would care about forcing users into Calendar and Reminders, especially when it stands to actually make money from its 30% cut of third-party calendar and task management apps on the App Store.

connormw

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2018
New York
What on earth would Apple gain by doing it deliberately?

I mean frankly, you act as if there was nothing for Apple to gain from this. Bug or not, this was putting the Apple Music app (an Apple proprietary, subscription service that competes with other extremely similar services on their App Store) front and center on phones that already re-located the app placement. Do I think this made a material difference in subscribers or competition? Probably not. But that does not mean Apple didn't have anything to gain by this happening.

I agree it was most likely a bug. But it was also a bug that shows Apple's quality control team is horrible. I think nearly everyone here is in agreement that Apple is slow to respond to issues, releases extremely buggy software compared to 5-10 years ago, AND are slow to disclose and fix security issues that are reported by outside parties in a timely manner.

Reactions: nt5672

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
The code I imagine was designed to run on new phones being setup for the first time when icons are originally placed in their default positions and the bug caused that code to run when it wasn’t wanted.
Yup, and not just for first-time setup. Presumably the same code is used for the Reset Home Screen Layout option in the Settings app, which returns all stock apps to their default positions, and organizes the rest of the third-party apps alphabetically on the following pages.

Reactions: JKAussieSkater

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
I mean frankly, you act as if there was nothing for Apple to gain from this. Bug or not, this was putting the Apple Music app (an Apple proprietary, subscription service that competes with other extremely similar services on their App Store) front and center on phones that already re-located the app placement. Do I think this made a material difference in subscribers or competition? Probably not. But that does not mean Apple didn't have anything to gain by this happening.
Well, it didn't happen automatically — only when users specifically reinstalled the Music app from the App Store. So, it's not like users who encountered this weren't already looking for Apple's Music app. Of course, they may not have wanted to switch back to it, but it's not like it showed up out the blue.

Contrary to what some have been saying, this also didn't specifically target Spotify or any other music apps. It just went into the same spot on the Dock that the Music app has always occupied, since the days when it was called "iPod" on the very first iPhone (and couldn't be moved at all). Due to that tradition, may folks have chosen to put Spotify in that same slot, but Apple Music replacing that would merely be a coincidence. In my case, when I tested this after it was first reported, it bumped out Apple's own Messages app, since that's what I keep in that position.

I think Hanlon's Razor applies to most of what goes wrong in iOS. Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
but but what will Tim Sweeny complain about now?

He actually thought it was not a bug and Apple did it on purpose.

Remember Tim support Facebooks AR/VR store and headset
Or Tim Sweeny's complaint forced Apple to change the behavior of the App? Then he was successful.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
There will be a permanent solution for this once the DMA by the EU comes into force, which will ban Apple (and others) from installing default apps. At the time of first setup itself the OS should offer an option for all the default apps. This will put an end to Apple's shenanigans bugs.

• Disagree
Reactions: freedomlinux

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
There will be a permanent solution for this once the DMA by the EU comes into force, which will ban Apple (and others) from installing default apps. At the time of first setup itself the OS should offer an option for all the default apps. This will put an end to Apple's shenanigans bugs.
I think that DMA thing is rather stupid regarding “default apps” it’s Apples’ OS and frankly I quite like most of the default apps. And if you or others don’t, they know exactly where to go to get the alternatives.

DMA regarding “default apps” should let them be or maybe after the OS is done doing the first setup just pop up a window dialog asking if the user would like to browse the App Store for their favorite apps

Reactions: nrose101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.