Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smokey_Rasta_SA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have a rather simple question to ask with regards to streaming on Apple Music.

I know for a fact that Apple pays an artist $2.47 for every thousand songs streamed, but what exactly constitutes a "Stream"? Would a stream be starting the song, 30 seconds of the song, half of the songs duration or 90% of the song?

princessgleek

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
I think it's 30 seconds, but I'm not 100 per cent certain, i've accidently clicked on songs before and let them play for 10 seconds or so. On that question does Apple keep track on what songs you play offline

Reactions: Smokey_Rasta_SA

Smokey_Rasta_SA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
I think it's 30 seconds, but I'm not 100 per cent certain, i've accidently clicked on songs before and let them play for 10 seconds or so. On that question does Apple keep track on what songs you play offline
I also made a logical guess that they would pay the artist after 30 seconds of streaming.

Yes, I am sure they do since it would not make sense to not to that, and they track if your downloaded it etc

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012

I know your Itunes library keeps track of how many times you play a song so it would make sense that Apple Music should sync that info as well when re-connecting but who knows.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I though it did not matter if it was 1 second or 30 seconds hence the limited skipping of "free tier" streaming services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.