Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Tuesday released the second betas of iOS and iPadOS 14.5 to developers, and while there were some new additions worth highlighting, most of the more notable features were thought to be already available in the first set of betas.

share-apple-music-lyrics-ios-2nd-beta-14-5@3x.jpg

However, developer Federico Viticci today discovered another neat new feature not seen in previous versions of iOS 14.5: Apple Music subscribers can now share lyrics as text as well as audio clips containing the sung lyrics.

While viewing the real-time lyrics of a playing song, it's possible to long press individual lines and share them via the Actions menu, which includes support for Instagram Stories.

According to Viticci, if users opt to share over iMessage, an Apple Music card appears in the conversation, and will even allow the recipient to play that specific part of the song in Messages via a playback button.

It's also possible to select up to five lines of lyrics from a specialized share screen, enabling users to create longer cards for use in Instagram Stories and iMessage.

Previously, changes in Apple Music in the second iOS 14.5 beta were only thought to include some additional interface gestures for playing and queuing songs, along with some minor cosmetic tweaks.

For all the other changes that have been spotted in the first and second betas of iOS 14.5, be sure to check our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Music Subscribers Can Share Lyrics and Song Clips in iOS 14.5 Beta 2

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I love the fact that since the last 2-3 years maybe, Apple is finally giving importance to lyrics.

For me, lyrics has always been in the core of my musical experience, and I'm glad Apple has pushed it even further with lyrics syncing, lyrics scrubbing, lyrics search, lyrics voice search and now lyrics sharing.

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
Damn, I'm getting old. For me, this feature is about as exciting as being stuck in an elevator with an insurance salesman.
That is because you are thinking of a insurance salesman from the 70s or 80s.

This is like a cool & hip insurance salesperson from the current day, rapping and singing cool song clips.

Hmmm, OK, that isn't very cool either, is it? :D

DanShockley

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
I love the fact that since the last 2-3 years maybe, Apple is finally giving importance to lyrics.

For me, lyrics has always been in the core of my musical experience, and I'm glad Apple has pushed it even further with lyrics syncing, lyrics scrubbing, lyrics search, lyrics voice search and now lyrics sharing.

I wish they would also give importance to the accuracy of their lyrics. It's really annoying when there are obvious problems, but no way to easily report them. The closest I've found is a feedback form that includes Apple Music, and the form has multiple problems, including outdated choices for watchOS (can't pick 7 or newer), macOS (can't pick Big Sur), iOS, and even the Music app itself (can only pick iTunes). As recently as about a month ago you still couldn't pick iOS 14, although they have since fixed _only_ iOS (watchOS 6.1.1 is still most recent listed, and macOS Catalina is still most recent listed). Pretty strong evidence that Apple doesn't pay much attention to this feedback form, since they don't even keep it updated with their own product versions.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007

Apple on Tuesday released the second betas of iOS and iPadOS 14.5 to developers, and while there were some new additions worth highlighting, most of the more notable features were thought to be already available in the first set of betas.

share-apple-music-lyrics-ios-2nd-beta-14-5@3x.jpg

However, developer Federico Viticci today discovered another neat new feature not seen in previous versions of iOS 14.5: Apple Music subscribers can now share lyrics as text as well as audio clips containing the sung lyrics.

While viewing the real-time lyrics of a playing song, it's possible to long press individual lines and share them via the Actions menu, which includes support for Instagram Stories.

According to Viticci, if users opt to share over iMessage, an Apple Music card appears in the conversation, and will even allow the recipient to play that specific part of the song in Messages via a playback button.

It's also possible to select up to five lines of lyrics from a specialized share screen, enabling users to create longer cards for use in Instagram Stories and iMessage.

Previously, changes in Apple Music in the second iOS 14.5 beta were only thought to include some additional interface gestures for playing and queuing songs, along with some minor cosmetic tweaks.

For all the other changes that have been spotted in the first and second betas of iOS 14.5, be sure to check our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Music Subscribers Can Share Lyrics and Song Clips in iOS 14.5 Beta 2

A cool find no doubt. However, I suspect that this wasn't supposed to be found yet, because legally speaking, the artists and their distributing record labels are not contractually obligated to allow Apple to openly share their songs in piecemeal as the listener sees fit. This clip sharing process doesn't register the song as played by a registered paying Apple Music customer, hence doesn't reflect in the total numbers to which the label is reimbursed every month. This I can confirm is the case currently.

Apple really shook things up when they declared unilaterally that they're allowing customers of iTunes to preview 2-3x longer clips of any given song (decision made many years ago) and that didn't go over well, and then there's the very healthy cut that Apple takes for enabling the distribution of the product, which we all know is one sided as well.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I think it's time based rather than line based. I could only share three lines of a slow song, approx 20 seconds

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
For you. Not for the millions using Apple Music. 72 million to be exact. And that number is growing. Nothing useless about features that enhances a music experience if you ask me.
I have Apple Music and a lot of my friends do not there are millions more not using it and probably unlike you I associate with people from both sides and it’s annoying to remember who has what service.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Although I have never wanted to do this in the past, I can see it being a cool feature.

Many times I have said something along the lines of "you know, Song X by Band Y - remember?"

Be nice to include a brief song clip or part of the recognizable lyrics.
This will be an incredible feature.

A guy/gal wants to say something really special and could do so with a soundbite (5/10 seconds) with lyrics to evoke their emotion much better than a silly overplayed emoji. Think .... John Cusack in Say Anything ...

B88667661Z.1_20190416150128_000_GCGIEDNU.3-0_Gallery.jpg

Now ... if you can send a music bite with lyrics while also sending your favourite animoji singing it ... then it can be funny silly. In fact Apple somewhat did this (although manually) when introducing animoji, and fans went gangbusters with their own serenade.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have Apple Music and a lot of my friends do not there are millions more not using it and probably unlike you I associate with people from both sides and it’s annoying to remember who has what service.
Then some kind of ... say partnership to hyperlink services launching code would be great in this senario: Apple Music users send the soundbite, Deezer or Spotify users get to listen as it translates to their music player.

Makes you think ... from cassettes and CD's and records ... it was so easy to just share that track or album ... anybody could listen to it, it kind of seems we've gone backwards here neh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.