Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I was wondering as I havent seen anywhere...if you subscribe to this new service can you sync for offline play to non-iOS devices like the iPod classic, nano and shuffle? Or if you subscribe and want to do you still have to "purchase" or upload your own .mp3 version for offline on these devices?

Reactions: cain32016

danish.

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was wondering as I havent seen anywhere...if you subscribe to this new service can you sync for offline play to non-iOS devices like the iPod classic, nano and shuffle? Or if you subscribe and want to do you still have to "purchase" or upload your own .mp3 version for offline on these devices?

I was hoping for this before the keynote, but as nothing was said about it during the keynote, and I haven't heard anything else come out about it from WWDC, I'm not too hopeful. I'm not an expert in DRM in any way, but Apple would need to put a time limit - probably 30 days like Spotify - into the DRM, and I'm not sure this is possible.

Apple is also very unlikely to update any iPod firmware to accommodate offline music if this is required.

On the other hand, it sounds as if we will be able to download music and integrate it into a local iTunes collection with playlists and all... so maybe a glimmer of hope?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Well, maybe in the combination with iTunes Match. But I doubt Apple will let you sync offline Apple Music content with your private library.

This is where I'm confused. Will Apple Music be a new "tab" header in iTunes? Because I thought your music collection would be merged with items in the cloud?

If no changes happen in iTunes and you can "add" Apple Music albums to your iTunes collection. If I manage my iPod device (non iOS) device, will those albums just not be able to sync? For example, if you want to sync to an iPod (non iOS) now and you have iTunes Match, you must have the item physically downloaded to your computer.

I could see Apple making a separate "collection in the cloud" type area in iTunes and you access and sync your iPods the old fashioned way.

EDIT: For what it's worth, what I described is how it is managed in Spotify now. You can "add" your own files into Spotify and sync your music collection to an iPod or non-iOS device. But you aren't able to sync offline saved Spotify Artists/Albums or Playlists to these type of devices.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Any word on this?

I have a friend with an iPod Classic that is wondering if he could (1) subscribe to Apple Music (2) utilize the offline download option and (3) sync the offline music to his iPod for his listening enjoyment wherever he goes.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Any word on this?

I have a friend with an iPod Classic that is wondering if he could (1) subscribe to Apple Music (2) utilize the offline download option and (3) sync the offline music to his iPod for his listening enjoyment wherever he goes.

I'm still holding out hope, but as another poster has mentioned, ALL Apple Music info related to the service mentions that only iOS Apple devices will work with the service. No mention of iPod devices (Shuffle, Nano, Classic, etc). This, to me, means Apple may finally be killing off non-iOS iPods and really makes me sad.

I'm looking forward to June 30 to go ahead and try out the service and see what it does when I try syncing to my iPod classic.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
from apple site http://www.apple.com/music/

Apple Music is not available on iPod nano and iPod shuffle.

Just to confirm your post...It is spelled out in the language you posted that Apple Music is not for the iPod shuffle and Nano. They show an iPod Touch, so this confirms their service only works with iOS devices (android in the fall).

So, my guess that your playlists that you save for offline use will only be on the iOS devices (ie. you won't be able to sync them using iTunes, because all syncing to iOS devices are on the device themselves, not through iTunes).

I'm still interested to see how Apple handles the iTunes Match vs. Apple Music collection in iTunes, however.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I don't doubt that it COULD work on the iPods, they just aren't going to let you do it.

Back in the day of Napster/Real Player, around 2004, you could download mp3s to a device (back then I was using a Creative MicroZen) and it would manage your subscription using DRM. As long as you were subscribed you could sync anything to these devices. To me, Apple is really pushing iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad as the way to listen to music now, so they won't bother with this subscription based DRM format for Apple Music.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Back in the day of Napster/Real Player, around 2004, you could download mp3s to a device (back then I was using a Creative MicroZen) and it would manage your subscription using DRM. As long as you were subscribed you could sync anything to these devices. To me, Apple is really pushing iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad as the way to listen to music now, so they won't bother with this subscription based DRM format for Apple Music.

I remember that too. You used to have to re-license/sync every 30 days. People used to abuse it and strip the DRM off.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Well folks, mark it down, 6/30/2015 is the day the iPod died. I got my hopes up when I updated iTunes to 12.2 and was able to add "apple music" albums to my collection and the cloud icon even showed up to download to iTunes.

I got all giddy and plugged in my Nano, selected a new playlist with the Apple Music items and clicked "sync." To my sadness, iTunes gives you a popup notice to the effect of: "could not sync Artist-Song because Apple Music can't be synced to your Nano, click to see all XX errors." With the XX being all the remaining items in the playlist.

So there you have it, until Apple decides it is time to release an Apple Music iPod, or for f' sake update the current iPods to allow offline syncing of your "WHOLE" Music collection, it looks like they officially killed off the iPod today.

So sad

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
That's a shame. Any interest I had in Apple Music is gone with this.

I have no interest in streaming. I was hoping that it would be a nice service for just downloading everything offline but it's so tedious to do it and it wasn't working for me after a few albums. Offline local files for life.

CanadaPostRock

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
windsor, ontario, canada
Any word on this?

I can confirm my Classic will not sync music I have download from Apple Music. Apple Music is kept in a separate folder from music that I already had in my itunes match cloud. The music in the Apple Muisc folder is DRM protected and can't be sync to my classic. Soooooo disappointed. options are to download that music, remove the DRM and then important back into your itunes library and upload to your non iOS Ipod. I doubt apple will firmware update the classic. They MAY update the shuffle and nano. I don't see the point of having an ipod that you can't sync your subscribed music to.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I can confirm my Classic will not sync music I have download from Apple Music. Apple Music is kept in a separate folder from music that I already had in my itunes match cloud. The music in the Apple Muisc folder is DRM protected and can't be sync to my classic. Soooooo disappointed. options are to download that music, remove the DRM and then important back into your itunes library and upload to your non iOS Ipod. I doubt apple will firmware update the classic. They MAY update the shuffle and nano. I don't see the point of having an ipod that you can't sync your subscribed music to.

If I keep Apple Music, I will no longer sync my Classic. I have 90gb on it already and just in one day I messed around with my iTunes library (adding Apple Music versions instead of some matched albums). If I sync my iPod now I'll start losing music I actually own(ed).

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Well folks, mark it down, 6/30/2015 is the day the iPod died. I got my hopes up when I updated iTunes to 12.2 and was able to add "apple music" albums to my collection and the cloud icon even showed up to download to iTunes.

I got all giddy and plugged in my Nano, selected a new playlist with the Apple Music items and clicked "sync." To my sadness, iTunes gives you a popup notice to the effect of: "could not sync Artist-Song because Apple Music can't be synced to your Nano, click to see all XX errors." With the XX being all the remaining items in the playlist.

So there you have it, until Apple decides it is time to release an Apple Music iPod, or for f' sake update the current iPods to allow offline syncing of your "WHOLE" Music collection, it looks like they officially killed off the iPod today.

So sad
It's possible, though not likely, that Apple may provide a firmware update to the Nano (and maybe Shuffle) to support Apple Music files. Or a new gen Nano that can.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's possible, though not likely, that Apple may provide a firmware update to the Nano (and maybe Shuffle) to support Apple Music files. Or a new gen Nano that can.

Either there will be an iPod refresh, like the rumors indicate, that may bring this functionality, or they'll just let the iPod wither. I mean, the never even updated the Nano's software to align with iOS 7/8 (which I don't mine).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I love my ipods. If I could sync music onto them, Apple music was a promising offering. Given synching is not supported, its a deal breaker for me, gonna give this streaming a miss.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
I wouldn't mind paying the monthly service if I can sync offline music to my 2 iPod Nano (used for transit/workout) and iPod Classic (use for car). If this is not possible, Apple probably will lose a percentage of possible subscriber because of this. Shame

Reactions: mpayne2k

Ostalstew

Suspended
Dec 25, 2016
When I try to sync offline Apple Music tracks to an iPod nano/shuffle/classic, you'll meet this disappointing message: "Apple Music songs cannot be copied to an iPod."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.