Apple Music Turned My Explicit Music To Clean...

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by newyorksole, Aug 1, 2015.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Has anyone else had this issue? Music that I've imported into my computer from CDs and music that I've downloaded from blogs for the most part play as "Clean" from my iPhone.

It seems like if there is music I have on my iPhone that wasn't purchased from iTunes, but is in Apple's catalogue, it turns it into the clean version.

This is very frustrating because I'll be playing music in the car or at a party and it just kills the vibe.

Any ideas?

2. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Nothing is restricted. I'm not the only one with this issue. I did a Twitter search and others are saying the same thing.

3. jonmx macrumors newbie

jonmx

This solved the issue for me -

I had to first enable the "Restrict Music with Explicit Content" first (checked the box, clicked OK). Waited a few minutes, then I went back and then disabled it (unchecked the box, clicked OK). By doing that I was able to get explicit versions on my desktop.

Then I went to my iPhone to see if it updated on Apple Music there. Initially it was still pulling up the clean versions, but after a few minutes and searches it started showing the explicit versions.

Now I'm seeing "Explicit" next to song titles, like this J.Cole one for example. What's weird is that some albums are still showing censored titles like Pantera's "Yesterday Don't Me S**t", but the version that plays is the actually explicit version.

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 12.56.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 12.57.40 PM.png

4. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Honestly I've just given up. When it comes to music and photos, I don't want to rely on iCloud. Local storage for those things is best. I still subscribe to Apple Music, for streaming purposes, but I cannot get down with iCloud Music Library. Maybe in 2017 I'll try it again. I think by then it'll be much better. As of right now? Nope.

5. Acevesx macrumors regular

anyone having this issue still because I am, it's frustrating!

6. jlj1397 macrumors newbie

i am as well. very annoying. my google play does this too

7. Chris1337 macrumors newbie

I had this same problem and just now fixed it. Apple Music was censoring the song "Roses" by outkast on my phone, and when I deleted the song and redownloaded it the song was still censored. So I went back deleted it again, then went to all the songs I had in my iCloud (songs not downloaded to you phone but saved there) and I deleted it from there as well, then I closed out Apple Music and reopened it and downloaded the song all over again and it played the explicit version.

You open you app then go to Library, and deleted the song from both SONGS, and DOWNLOADED MUSIC.

8. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Damn almost 2.5 years later! Lol thanks for the reply.

You know what? I just gave up. I tried twice to use Apple Music and both times my music turned clean. I don’t want to have to jump through hoops so that Apple doesn’t change my album art or dirty songs to clean.

It’s the same reason why I don’t use iCloud Photo Library. I just don’t trust Apple when it comes to those things.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Excellent point. I just don’t understand how these kids manage with streaming services screwing with content. I figured if Apple loved music they’d understand that an artists vision and art creating music is in the way they choose NOT for content providers and mainstream radio dictations.

10. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

I don’t understand it either. I do pay for Apple Music (student membership), but just can’t come to grips with using iCloud Music Library.

I wish they could just treat it like iCloud Drive. Whatever you upload to iCloud Drive doesn’t get changed by Apple. I don’t want my music to be matched and replaced or changed with whatever iTunes has.

I think it’s extremely important to OWN music. I want my music stored locally, but also like to occasionally stream music I don’t have and have access to all of that.

11. Yungone1, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017

Yungone1 macrumors newbie

What exactly is it that is being "censored" in this song? To my mind, they don't censor anything, they merely alter the sound of some of the words in the song but the altered sound of them still remains in the soundtrack. If it is allegedly censoring anything, it is merely the original way it sounded. Instead, it now sounds so extremely close to the sound of the words that everyone around will know exactly what they are but sounds like, instead of just singing them, he is spitting them out with venom and real nastiness to their sound. The "censored" version I heard was blasted out right across a major supermarket - it sounded like he was saying the words with spit at the back of his mouth being spat out at the same time, directed towards me and sounded really horrible. It did not make the song any more appropriate, instead made it nasty and offensive and it rather upset me. It is exactly the same as saying the words in this song, only in a nasty tone - it sounds too close to the words and the "censored" replacement material is offensive. Bizarrely, my heart has started to race nastily whilst I have been writing this - it is now nearly a year after this inappropriate and offensive material was aired - I've been fine for a long time but I do have an illness caused by this sort of offensive material inappropriately played out in public places causing me severe emotional problems and, after the airing itself, it was three weeks before I got back to normal.

I would not really call it "censorship" - it does not censor the original worded message, as the full meaning is clear and therefore explicit*, it merely "censors" the original sound of part of the vocal where the word appears and turns it into a version of the same word, material that is, in itself, offensive and inappropriate that retains the meaning fully and simply makes the language sound more unpleasant. It is not funny, it calls attention to itself, makes an issue of the word that it means, it is annoying on top and problematically makes clear its own inappropriateness. It's like saying it spat out loudly and nastily, whilst trying to muffle your mouth towards me in an unpleasant way. It's unpleasant, it makes me think more about the dirtiness and get right into the unpleasant meaning of the word more than the unaltered version of the word itself does. It does not qualify as censorship in the meaning of restricting the circulation of information as it circulates the information, the known meaning behind the material, or even obvious and right-out, in your face, in front of you meaning to me, more widely rather than less and it makes the word known to all and therefore circulates the full meaning more extensively rather than suppressing or restricting it in any way.

It is heard clearly and loudly above all background noise since the replacement material used instead of the original sound has a grating sound to it and stands out as it sounds differently from the rest of the soundtrack of the song that I hardly hear. If this is "censorship" of anything at all, you may as well call a subtitle that you can still read, but where the lower part of the letters was cropped because your television screen was too short, or a piece of gym equipment, where a bar has been laid in front of it, "censored". It "censors" nothing; instead it turns it into annoying and offensively inappropriate matter that carries the full and same meaning with inappropriateness reinforced onto it in a manner that is physical uncomfortable to hear since it is trying to hide the word and because it is making its presence clear to everyone around, because it is digging into a social taboo rather than avoiding it and is highly uncomfortable and gravely annoying because of its meaning that everyone around me will know that makes me extremely uncomfortable especially when it is trying to hide it but everyone, I feel (and something that is offensive is all about feeling and emotion, averse emotional feeling of offensiveness that it gives), will know.

*Therefore the reference to "the" explicit version, referring to the other version to this one, is incorrect because there is not one explicit version, contrary to how the use of the word "the" implies, instead there are at least two, the one that has been wrongly called "the" explicit version and this so-called "censored" version which is also an explicit version, since it is clear as to its precise meaning and therefore explicit. The "censored" version is the more explicit version to me, since it is more offensive and more inappropriate by admitting its own inappropriateness and by sounding nasty rather than just saying the word hardly noticed and very lightly in the soundtrack and making no reference to it.

12. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

My issue with Apple Music & iCloud music storage is similar to the OP, but it's the changing of tracks from those saved onto my hard drive to alternate versions Apple seem to think are more relevant....Also, album art is changed, so that tracks from the one album have different art....

This is possibly the biggest blunder Apple have done....you don't mess with my music!

13. rufas2000 macrumors member

rufas2000

Nice outside the box thinking, especially the last paragraph. I disagree though. The artist’s vision had a word that’s now been altered so it’s “censored”. Bottom line is if a word is offensive to you deal or don’t listen. The fact that we still know what word belongs there doesn’t make it any less censored but it makes the whole exercise hypocritical and pointless. Especially if it’s designed so kids don’t hear naughty words as that word is now more entrenched in their mind as they had to d

Walmart drove me crazy with this. Especially because they did sell explicit music if it wasn’t labeled as such. So you could clearly hear Jim Morrison say “the F bomb” a dozen times from a CD you bought but if an artist or label self reported you got the, let’s call it altered, version which was not true to the artist’s intent.

14. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Kind of hard to do when it is blasting everywhere. What happened to stores playing easy listening music instead of this explicit pop, rap voice sync garbage.

15. rufas2000 macrumors member

rufas2000

I meant if you are choosing to listen to something not if it is being forced on you. :)

16. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Sorry I understand. It sounded like if you were forced.