Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over a month after originally appearing for a few Apple Music subscribers on both iOS 10 and the iOS 11 beta, it appears that Apple's new "My Chill Mix" playlist is now expanding to many more users of the music streaming service.

My Chill Mix recommends music that's both old and new, curating a list of songs for Apple Music users that are supposed to help them "relax and unwind" as they listen. Because each person's definition of relaxation might differ, Apple Music's My Chill Mix isn't only aimed at low-key music, but could also include rock, hip-hop, techno, and more.

my-chill-mix-3.jpg

Like Apple's other intelligently curated playlists, Apple Music will get better at recommending music for My Chill Mix the more that users listen to music on the app. The playlist will refresh every Sunday and includes 25 tracks, just like Apple Music's other customized playlists.
"Tailored to your music taste, My Chill Mix is a selection of songs to help you relax and unwind."
Last year, Apple launched its first curated playlists, called "My Favorites Mix" and "My New Music Mix." My Favorites Mix presents users with a collection of their most-listened-to songs every Wednesday, while My New Music Mix recommends the newest music based off of each user's listening history.

apple-music-chill-mix-2.jpg

When iOS 11 launches to the public, there will be a few changes in the Apple Music app, mostly related to a new social feature. In the "For You" tab, users will be able to create their own Apple Music profile page, share their favorite playlists, and follow friends to see what they're listening to in order to further facilitate new music discovery.

Update: One user on Reddit has discovered another custom Apple Music playlist that can be invoked by asking Siri to "play My Party Mix." As of now My Party Mix has yet to appear in the For You tab on Apple Music, but most users have found that they can play the collection through Siri. Musical artists and styles vary among users, as is custom with these playlists, but the common factor appears to be upbeat songs that could be played at a party.

Article Link: Apple Music's 'My Chill Mix' Playlist Rollout Expands So More Users Can 'Relax and Unwind' [Updated]

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
That "Chill" mix is just basically full of massive pop artists crap.

About as chill as sitting in a fridge for hours, until you basically freeze to death.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad this is how Apple interprets "chill" music. :rolleyes:
These are songs aimed only at me, based off my history and what Apple Music thinks I would find "chill," which is largely on point with a few exceptions. The playlist's definition of chill will change for every user, including other genres and musical styles.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
It's too bad Apple's music discovery still isn't up to par with Spotify's. I would Switch if it was.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada

About as chill as sitting in a fridge for hours, until you basically freeze to death.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad this is how Apple interprets "chill" music. :rolleyes:
Its based on your library, likes, and listening habits, guys.

I just checked out mine, and it fits my tastes quite well.

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I’m loving my chill playlist, very chill indeed!
my playlist is pretty similar..makes me wonder if they have a base list and just adjust from there.

Agreed that it has a lot of songs from bands that were previously more popular but more B side songs than their hits.

They got it right with some of the bands and albums, but unfortunately the songs chosen are the ones I intentionally left out of my collection.

The chill mix seems good for some who are looking for exactly that, but for everyone else it doesn't seem too useful. due to this, it seems like a move to try to make Apple Music seem more edgy?

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB

I've had it for a month and it's gotten better over time. I don't listen to pop and I find only 1/10 or so songs to be pop.

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
Finally a 2nd mix that’s worth listening to (at least for me). My "Favourite" Music is just a strange mix of music I at some time might have listened to but which is definitely not my favourite.

robabroad

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Finally a 2nd mix that’s worth listening to (at least for me). My "Favourite" Music is just a strange mix of music I at some time might have listened to but which is definitely not my favourite.

I sort have had a similar experience with "My New Music" mix. I think it's because I listen to a lot of classical, quite a bit of alternative/indie and some classic '70s bands (Steely Dan). Throw in some morna/fado/cuban, a touch of new age, and a smidge of jazz. So my mix tends to be 60%-70% recent classical recordings and a mix of alternative and sort of jazzy indie rock. I guess I wish I could segregate the two or separate by genre. (All music services do a pretty poor job managing "classical" or primarily instrumental music.) At least the classical tends to group towards the top.

On the upside, it's been a great way to find new classical recordings.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Was hoping its appearance was the sign of more to come than just a chill list, but I guess I'll have to settle for that (at least it's good). I like the apple music integration into iTunes, but Spotify discover features are a bit more spot on for me and varied... as opposed to a bunch of dad rock suggestion with a decent list mixed in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.