Apple Music's New Memoji Billboards Highlight Grammy Nominees Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music has recently launched a new advertising campaign in Los Angeles, showcasing the Memoji versions of musicians including Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves. Apple put up the billboards ahead of the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, which take place on February 10 at the Los Angeles Staples Center.

[​IMG]

Apple has placed the billboards at the Hotel Figueroa in LA, which is down the street from the Staples Center. It appears there are multiple billboards in the city, however, including some that are dedicated specifically to each of the three artists and highlighting their Grammy nominations.

[​IMG]

Memojis are animated emoji characters that can take the form of each user's personal appearance, and using the TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X family devices, you can animate the Memojis with your facial movements. Apple has used Animoji in its ads a few times previously, including for last year's Grammy awards. Those commercials had the alien Animoji singing "Redbone" by Childish Gambino and the Animoji dog, fox, and poop singing "Stir Fry" from Migos.

As for the nominations, Shawn Mendes has two, one for song of the year ("In My Blood") and one for best pop vocal album (the self-titled "Shawn Mendes"). Ariana Grande was also nominated twice this year, for best pop solo performance ("God Is A Woman") and best pop vocal album ("Sweetener"). Lastly, Kacey Musgraves received four nominations, for album of the year ("Golden Hour"), best country solo performance ("Butterflies"), best country song ("Space Cowboy"), and best country album.

Article Link: Apple Music's New Memoji Billboards Highlight Grammy Nominees Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves

2. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

My Memoji would totally make out with Ariana Grande's Memoji.

3. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

If not for the labels, I probably wouldn’t have recognised who they were.

4. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

5. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I love it, creative advertising and playful!

6. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

8. diego macrumors regular

diego

Disturbing, this looks a bit dystopian imo.

9. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Cosplay town in Japan, your welcome :D

10. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I still think mememoji are incredibly hideous, and these billboards don't help

11. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I really like the Kacey Musgraves one. Absolutely love that album!

12. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

I was hesitant to listen to it (idk why at this point), and I have not stopped for the past month and a half. It's like each week I have a new favorite song from it. Really incredible album.

13. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Agreed. The animals are goofy but okay, but any mimicking a human have an unpleasant uncanny valley vibe.

Really quite disturbing.

14. Jakewilk macrumors regular

Even if you don’t like the art style, I think hideous is a bit of a stretch; I mean, have you seen the samsung version?

15. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

It looks cute ,not creepy.

16. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

What?

17. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Akihabara
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    Memoji’s resemble Disney’s animated movies, for example refer to “Frozen”.

What kind of childhood did you experience? I am no Disney fan, however I find these pleasantly creative and unique.
    Welcome, Samsung employee. :p
    You forgot to end this comment with “/s”. ;)
    I am curious if the artist did their own Memoji or someone at Apple. I hope this expands to include other artists in the near future.

The next Fortnite, where you can MoCap and Memoji yourself. Imagine this tech spreading and about 20-30 years ago this required a room, many people, equipment, tech, and money to get done.

Imagine games with your own Memoji and MoCap to interact with immersive games. Or an animated show,movie or short staring you. :cool:

18. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

You can do something like that in a more basic version with the Xbox Kinect and your personal avatar. It'd be cool to see the technology advance to what you described. Interestingly, the co-creators of the technology behind Kinect were purchased by Apple and developed Face ID!

19. trellus macrumors regular

trellus

Yup! I know the dude who is the creative director for this ad and works for the ad agency who came up with this idea. His dad is a colleague of mine!

20. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Once the TrueDepth system is affordable to be placed on the rear of the phone, things will take a creative turn. The “A” silicone will have to be enhanced for this real-time processing to occur. This would explain the larger storage capacity. Making an animated short or movie on a tablet and/or phone. Animation studio in your pocket.