Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music has recently launched a new advertising campaign in Los Angeles, showcasing the Memoji versions of musicians including Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves. Apple put up the billboards ahead of the 61st Annual Grammy Awards, which take place on February 10 at the Los Angeles Staples Center.

animoji-billboards.jpg

I love this! Shawn Mendes: The Album has been made into an emoji! It's on a billboard at Hotel Figueroa in LA ❤️ pic.twitter.com/SfKHGI157e - Shawn Mendes (@shawnsmutual) February 4, 2019
Apple has placed the billboards at the Hotel Figueroa in LA, which is down the street from the Staples Center. It appears there are multiple billboards in the city, however, including some that are dedicated specifically to each of the three artists and highlighting their Grammy nominations.

kacey-musgraves-memoji.jpg

.@KaceyMusgraves 'Golden Hour' Apple Music emoji billboards around the city in LA! pic.twitter.com/ILIs8ShdKG - Kacey Musgraves Daily (@musgravesdaily) February 4, 2019
Memojis are animated emoji characters that can take the form of each user's personal appearance, and using the TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X family devices, you can animate the Memojis with your facial movements. Apple has used Animoji in its ads a few times previously, including for last year's Grammy awards. Those commercials had the alien Animoji singing "Redbone" by Childish Gambino and the Animoji dog, fox, and poop singing "Stir Fry" from Migos.

As for the nominations, Shawn Mendes has two, one for song of the year ("In My Blood") and one for best pop vocal album (the self-titled "Shawn Mendes"). Ariana Grande was also nominated twice this year, for best pop solo performance ("God Is A Woman") and best pop vocal album ("Sweetener"). Lastly, Kacey Musgraves received four nominations, for album of the year ("Golden Hour"), best country solo performance ("Butterflies"), best country song ("Space Cowboy"), and best country album.

Article Link: Apple Music's New Memoji Billboards Highlight Grammy Nominees Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, and Kacey Musgraves

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
I really like the Kacey Musgraves one. Absolutely love that album!
I was hesitant to listen to it (idk why at this point), and I have not stopped for the past month and a half. It's like each week I have a new favorite song from it. Really incredible album.

Reactions: 480951

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
I still think mememoji are incredibly hideous, and these billboards don't help

Even if you don’t like the art style, I think hideous is a bit of a stretch; I mean, have you seen the samsung version?

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

Akihabara
[doublepost=1549425643][/doublepost]
Agreed. The animals are goofy but okay, but any mimicking a human have an unpleasant uncanny valley vibe.

Really quite disturbing.

Memoji’s resemble Disney’s animated movies, for example refer to “Frozen”.

What kind of childhood did you experience? I am no Disney fan, however I find these pleasantly creative and unique.
[doublepost=1549425744][/doublepost]
I still think mememoji are incredibly hideous, and these billboards don't help

Welcome, Samsung employee. :p
[doublepost=1549425791][/doublepost]
Disturbing, this looks a bit dystopian imo.

You forgot to end this comment with “/s”. ;)
[doublepost=1549426129][/doublepost]
I really like the Kacey Musgraves one. Absolutely love that album!

I am curious if the artist did their own Memoji or someone at Apple. I hope this expands to include other artists in the near future.

The next Fortnite, where you can MoCap and Memoji yourself. Imagine this tech spreading and about 20-30 years ago this required a room, many people, equipment, tech, and money to get done.

Imagine games with your own Memoji and MoCap to interact with immersive games. Or an animated show,movie or short staring you. :cool:

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Akihabara
[doublepost=1549425643][/doublepost]

The next Fortnite, where you can MoCap and Memoji yourself. Imagine this tech spreading and about 20-30 years ago this required a room, many people, equipment, tech, and money to get done.

Imagine games with your own Memoji and MoCap to interact with immersive games. Or an animated show,movie or short staring you. :cool:

You can do something like that in a more basic version with the Xbox Kinect and your personal avatar. It'd be cool to see the technology advance to what you described. Interestingly, the co-creators of the technology behind Kinect were purchased by Apple and developed Face ID!

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
You can do something like that in a more basic version with the Xbox Kinect and your personal avatar. It'd be cool to see the technology advance to what you described. Interestingly, the co-creators of the technology behind Kinect were purchased by Apple and developed Face ID!

Once the TrueDepth system is affordable to be placed on the rear of the phone, things will take a creative turn. The “A” silicone will have to be enhanced for this real-time processing to occur. This would explain the larger storage capacity. Making an animated short or movie on a tablet and/or phone. Animation studio in your pocket.

Reactions: 480951
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.