Apple must have been using 2011 MBPs for testing Lion...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mobilehavoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

...because this thing freaking flies on my 2011 MBP (see sig)

Startup is about twice as fast as on SL - I basically go from the initial Apple logo to the login screen in about 4 seconds. If I type in my pwd fast I'm in and everything launched in about 2-3 seconds. I have things opening on different spaces so my desktop flies between spaces like it's lost it's mind until it settles. Quite amusing to watch.

Once in, it's very very fast in terms of UI and animations, etc. Launching apps is faster, scrolling is faster/smoother, everything works great.

Now I know that on this type of hardware it better fly but just wanted to say that I definitely notice a difference in performance between SL and Lion. Maybe on the newer hardware SL was holding it back a bit...either way I'm happy.

Now I just need my damn NAS to work with TM and I'm set.

2. RJCP macrumors 6502

It's because of the SSD. Any machine with SSD instead of HDD gets that boot timing.

3. Mightee macrumors member

Clean install or upgrade?

4. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

But SL with same hardware was slower so they may have optimized for SSD more?

Upgrade.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You gotta put in the cash to get the speed! That MBP setup costs almost as much as my 8-core Xeon Mac Pro!