Apple = MVNO, why not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Nov 13, 2009.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

With all this AT&T vs. Verizon bickering and "iPhone coming to Verizon" rumors, is it too big of a stretch to think that maybe after AT&T's exclusivity ends next year Apple might start up its own wireless service ala Helio? I remember reading that Apple had considered it in the past before they went with AT&T.

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Doubtful...

So how did that work for Helio? ;)

If anything I think they are realizing that having it on MORE carriers only means more customers.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It would cost them a fortune to set up and they would still have to rely on another carriers infrastructure.

Apple gets to point the finger at AT&T when network issues arise.

They won't be able to do that as a MVNO as the customer would only see Apple as the provider.
    The average Cricket, Boost, Helio, Virgin, etc., have no clue they are actually using AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizion towers (depending on the tech of course).

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm not sure the advantage would outweigh the expenditures of energy, people, corporate mindshare and costs in general.

Managing a new business is not trivial even for Apple and particularly for Apple, seems to be a matter of doing it overwhelming correct if you are going to do it.

Yes they would gain some more sales on a greater network coverage thing. But I am just not sure that having a CDMA option would gain them that many more sales.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

From the timings for mass production for the necessary chips - nope. Not yet. More likely in a tablet/slate maybe? Wouldn't Apple want Verizon to up their network game and upgrade it to get up to AT&T's next level of coverage beyond lower speed HSDPA?

7. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Not only is it incredibly expensive but imagine an Apple network for a second.

Cell phone prices are already high as it is...do you expect competition from Apple of all places to lower them? Prices would skyrocket across the board.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

What I want to see is Verizon throw Droid under the bus just to get the iPhone on their network next year... you know they would.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I believe Google wanted to do that a couple of years ago, but even they couldn't compete at frequency auctions with the big boys. I really doubt we'll see anything but consolidation in the future barring some sort of antitrust action. It's just to expensive to start a new wireless company.

In this I do not count companies which merely lease networks from other companies.

10. samab macrumors 6502a

Google "participated" at the spectrum auction without any intention to actually win the spectrum.