Apple Names Isabel Ge Mahe as New Managing Director of Greater China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that Isabel Ge Mahe, the current vice president of wireless technologies, has been made the vice president and managing director of Greater China. In her new role, she will report directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook and COO Jeff Williams.

According to Apple, Ge Mahe, who has led Apple's wireless technologies software engineering teams for nine years, will provide leadership and coordination across Apple's China-based team.

[​IMG]
    As VP of wireless technologies, she has focused on the development of cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and location and motion technologies for nearly all of Apple's products. She has also previously been in charge of the engineering teams developing Apple Pay, HomeKit, and CarPlay, and she has worked closely with Apple's R&D team and carrier partners to bake China-specific features into the iPhone and iPad.

She has overseen the addition of QR Code support in iOS 11, SMS fraud prevention services exclusive to China, and the feature that allows Apple customers to use a phone number as an Apple ID.

In a statement, Ge Mahe said she is honored to represent Apple in China. "Everyone at Apple is proud of the contributions we make to the communities where we do business, and I am looking forward to deepening our team's connections with customers, government and businesses in China to advance innovation and sustainability," she said.

China has become an increasingly important market for Apple over the course of the last few years, and Ge Mahe's appointment comes as the company struggles to maintain iPhone sales momentum in the country. In the second quarter of 2017, revenue in China was at $10.7 billion, down from $12.5 billion in the year-ago quarter.

Ge Mahe will begin working in her new position, which is based in Shanghai, later this summer.

Article Link: Apple Names Isabel Ge Mahe as New Managing Director of Greater China

2. Asarien macrumors 6502

Well, at least they get to buy the same outdated products as us during all that growth.

3. stevet macrumors 6502

Don't they use Qualcomm and intel chips for all the wireless systems in the iPhone? I'm not putting her down, I really am confused why someone would need to be VP for that 'dept'.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

At least it'll be an upgrade from the cheap Chinese clones and increase the availability of kidneys for sale.

5. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

You should call Apple and let them know, I'm sure you know more about how to run their international multibillion dollar business than they do.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What’s up with the press releases for non SVP/executive level positions. I don’t remember Apple doing this in the past.

7. chevman macrumors member

She's reporting directly to the CEO and running their China operation. How much more 'executive' can it get?

8. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

9. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I checked Apple’s website and didn’t see a press release for Lisa Jackson, who also reports directly to Cook. I think it’s a more recent phenomenon.

11. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

"bake China-specific features into the iPhone and iPad"

The "Secure Enclave" has a gate in China.... The commies have the key....

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Not surprised to hear this and all should be concerned and watching what she was and is doing.

13. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Why should we be concerned?

Please enlighten us with your greater wisdom on the subject.

14. rabbit19 macrumors newbie

I hate to see any engineer involved in any capacity with HomeKit or CarPlay promoted. The only thing worse would be a Siri engineer.

15. himanshumodi macrumors regular

himanshumodi

16. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Conversely, maybe now we'll see someone wanting to prove themselves and fix all that and Airport routers!
    And fix Back To My Mac as well. When that worked, you didn't need iCloud or Dropbox, you could get files from your home computer anytime - no cloud, no servers tha aren't your own and don't need a warrant. The cloud is just delivering private data into government (and other bad actors') hands.

If Apple really wants to get serious about privacy… there's a good place to start. Industrial strength home syncing. The better way.

17. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

The Chinese also have cative aliens.

Concerned because she's Asian?

18. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

And for that matter where is Old Zealand these days?

19. stevet macrumors 6502

IOW, you have no idea why they would need one too...

20. lestmak macrumors newbie

lestmak

Greater China is defined as the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. "Lesser China" you might define as the PRC itself, but if you called it that, you might find yourself staring down the barrel of a tank with 1.4bn people behind it. Just saying'

As for "Old" Zealand, New Zealand is named after Zeelandia (or Zeeland) in the Netherlands. In Dutch it is called "Nova Zeelandia". A certain Englishman called Captain James Cook failed to spell it right and called it New Zealand.

<*END OF PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST*>

21. justperry, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

22. ahireasu macrumors regular

''In the second quarter of 2017, revenue in China was at $10.7 billion, down from $12.5 billion in the year-ago quarter.''
    Someone should inform apple that selling the same phone for 3 years does that to your revenue...

23. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

It was renamed to Australia.

24. BlueCreek macrumors regular

If you read the article it says she has pushed for better wireless technology, (for all of the above), why would you not have a VP managing all of this?

Even if other companies do supply the chips, they still need a department, including a VP, to ensure these are made to work for the iPhone, I very much doubt all of the above wireless technology is just off the shelf and used by other manufacturers which Apple simply places an order for.​