Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Pretty much the same reaction as everyone else when I read this. I'd be amazed if Apple hadn't sent mystery shoppers around DSG stores, be even more amazed if they had a good experience.

The staff in the Apple section of my local Currys/PC World Megastore are Apple employees so I would image they have some insight into how their stores are run.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I also laugh when I see clear anti-Apple zealots (ironically on this site) talking about how this marks the top of Apple...These people are clueless, they have been consistently wrong, and should be ignored.

You are speaking emotionally. We're (UK forumites) giving you real perspective which you may choose to take on board or ignore. Don't assume to pigeon box us all because it doesn't serve your argument. We'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong and the guy ends up punching lights out for Apple. We all want to continue enjoying quality products and quality customer service from our favourite tech provider.

"If it's not ready, we don't ship"

Not that it matters in the context of this discussion, but, COME AGAIN?!?! Love apple products, but bloody hell, have they released some uncooked products over the years. Take your rose tinted spectacles off man and smell the coffee beans. Maybe, on this occasion, you don't have the answers as you clearly know nothing of the man's pedigree.

They would have been better off appointing someone from John Lewis instead.

Spot on

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Yeah, we're all just here to hate because we have nothing better to do. It's not because we have decades of direct experience of the retail establishments that this guy can cite as his track record or anything like that. All we want to do is baselessly bash him for the hell of it because we're overflowing with unbridled misanthropy and an irratioanal hate for all things Apple.

Yet you still assume that we're all looking on this news negatively because it's an inherent flaw in our personalities rather than our real world experience being reflected in our comments. OK.

Well, having shopped in the Dixon Group Stores for many years, I can raise an eyebrow as to his appointment, given his stores have never been anywhere near satisfactory for customer service. Nor is the experience meant to be seamless.

Since you have never heard of Dixon's, how can you have a dig at people who are puzzled my this appointment who have heard about Dixon's?

1) I know its easy to look at a store and just go well this CEO must be stupid, but there are many factors that go into the situation. I am sure that Dixon is set up in such a way that it would be difficult to copy Apple's retail strategy.
2) I stand by my statement that I give Tim Cook the benefit of the doubt here. Going out on a limb to say I think Tim has done somewhat well these past few years....

StephenAcworth

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Holy crap, Batman: run to the Batcave...

... To avoid the spectacular fallout this appointment will create...

A seriously strange choice given the guy's track record... Not sure what there is in his career to date that appeals to Apple, but it is bothersome that they do not appear to hold him somewhat accountable for not stemming the decline in DSG... Surely it is the guy at the top who is in charge, particularly when he was there for a number of years.

And the Tesco heritage is not too good either: whilst the company performed strongly, it was through international expansion (mostly through acquisition and joint ventures) rather than through core brand development strategies such as staff training and customer care...

Maybe Tim sees something we don't but I cannot believe he was the best available given the high level of quality retail that exists in the world...

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
They were re-branded Currys Digital, they stores are an improvement over the old Dixons stores, but the shopping 'experience' is still the same.

To be honest, I find Apple Store's a complete train wreck of an experience also. There's so many people crammed in, I have often just walked out as it became too much of a chore to simply purchase the item I had intended.

And at the flagship store in London, it's rammed full of freeloaders & tourists making use of the free internet available on the demo machines. It's impossible to actually go in and browse the stuff without bumping into a trillion people.

I have to agree that the larger Apple Stores have become victims of their own success - Regent's Street is a great example of that, as are the New York City stores except perhaps the one on 14th street. Just too many people. The smaller stores are usually better though.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Dixons shares dropped on the news they were losing Browett, and the FT credits him with turning the business around over the last few years. I was horrified when I first read that Apple was hiring the CEO of such an irrelevant and dying company, but I can't imagine Tim Cook would have messed up here. Keeping an open mind.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
1) I know its easy to look at a store and just go well this CEO must be stupid, but there are many factors that go into the situation. I am sure that Dixon is set up in such a way that it would be difficult to copy Apple's retail strategy.
2) I stand by my statement that I give Tim Cook the benefit of the doubt here. Going out on a limb to say I think Tim has done somewhat well these past few years....
Time will tell if this was a good hire or not. But I too am willing to give Tim the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure at the time some of the fanboys (or iSnobs as one in the Brit press are calling them today) we're aghast that Apple would hire someone from Target to build a retail operation. But Ron Johnson worked out quite well. He built the foundation. I can't see this guy changing what's working.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Just got to chime in here.

Currys/PC world staff/stores are without doubt the worst imformed and most terrible shopping experience you can have in the UK.

The staff are universally rude, pushy and ignorant about the things they are selling.

I actually went into one yesterday with my wife - she wants a little PC or an Air and wanted to try some machines out.

Every single piece of information the assisstant gave her was either read straight of the display card or just plain wrong. He told her some machines had dedicated graphics cards - they didn't. He told her a particular machine had SSD - it didn't.

All round idiot and he's not alone.

This is probably the worst appointment I've ever heard of in like minded businesses.

I'm genuinely shocked.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
And the Tesco heritage is not too good either: whilst the company performed strongly, it was through international expansion (mostly through acquisition and joint ventures)

Agree with most things you say but I will pick you up on this. In fact Tesco grew because of its core UK grocery market strength. Not always positive in how it dealt with the supply chain BUT it worked because it made a broader (and largely higher quality) products accessible to the mass markets at an affordable price. But this guy's experience was mainly tesco.com. Which at the time was actually very successful. It's very tired currently BUT 5-6 years ago, it's where it was at in online retailing in the UK. And this guy has to take some credit for that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Or iPhone 4 which could neither receive nor make phone calls. Which by all standards is a pretty average telephone. (despite that weakness I loved mine and was first in line for a 4S because of everything else, but the phone bit of the 4 was crap)
That's a pretty broad generalization. Sure some people had issues but to say iPhone 4 could not receive or make phone calls is ridiculous. I never had a problem getting or making calls on mine.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
That's a pretty broad generalization. Sure some people had issues but to say iPhone 4 could not receive or make phone calls is ridiculous. I never had a problem getting or making calls on mine.

Sure, I get you! No denying that. But many other people did have problems. So to say Apple NEVER release a product until it's ready (which is what I was responding to if you check the context) is simply not true.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Actually this appointment would be a good April 1st Macrumours page 2 story.

Its just a 'yeah right!' thats made up story.

Robert Mizen

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Gavle, Sweden
An excerpt of the conversation I had with a salesperson the last time I stepped foot inside a Dixons (at Heathrow Terminal 4):

"How can I help you today Sir?"

"Well, I have this camera here, and the battery is dead, so I…"

"So what you'll needing then is a new battery. No problem. We have just want you want right here. That'll be £45. Do you want to pay by cash, credit card, or blood?"

"Um, well actually I was thinking more about getting a char…."

"Ahh so what you'll be wanting then in which case sir is our universal international battery charger that comes complete with an international power adapter. That'll be just £60 to you. Now if you'll just give me your direct debit details so we can randomly remove funds from your bank account twice a month for the rest of your life…."

"Well, ah, actually I already have the international adapter thing so really all I need is the charger please."

"I see. And you bought that from us did you sir?"

"Um no, sorry. I got it somewhere else."

"Somewhere else. Well sir, we strongly recommend our own international adapters to go with any goods we sell. I can do that for you today at just £15. Would you like the 5 year protection plan to go with that for £349.99?"

"Actually, I honestly think I'll be fine with the adapter I already have. If it's not too much trouble can I just get the charger by itself please?"

"This is most unprecedented sir. Obviously we can't be held responsible if your current adapter turns out to be faulty and explodes on the plane burning you and 300 other people to a crisp and leaving your relatives with nothing to bury when they finally scrape you off the ocean floor. But, the customer is always right I suppose. DEEPAK, CAN YOU GRAB A CRAPTEL XV694a FROM THE BACK ROOM FOR THIS GENTLEMAN? NO INTERNATIONAL ADAPTER"

"Sorry, did you say *no* international adapter?"

"THAT'S WHAT THE GENTLEMAN WANTS"

"Did you tell him about the risk of death by horrific burning?"

"YES, THE GENTLEMAN IS ADAMANT"

"This is most unprecedented."

"QUITE. I HAVE ALREADY EXPLAINED THIS TO THE GENTLEMAN. HE SEEMS HAPPY TO RISK THE LIVES OF HIS FELLOW PASSENGERS. IF YOU SEE REPORTS OF A PLANE EXPLODING OVER THE ATLANTIC ON THE NEWS TONIGHT, AT LEAST YOU'LL KNOW WHOSE FAULT IT IS. PLEASE FETCH THE CHARGER FOR THE GENTLEMAN. If you'd like to accompany me to the desk sir then we can clean you out and have you on your way in no time"

Needless to say, I haven't been back.

DUDE! This is ****** excellent! I laughed at this so friken much. For you Americans. The reason why you may ask?

Because this is what Dixons and Currys and pretty much all those crooks are like in the UK.

I loved the comment about plane crashing and people burning excuse, bloody priceless mate.

On a serious note, since moving to Sweden, the retailers are so much better. MediaMart are awesome for info and stock and service etc.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Hopefully this isn't another Papermaster...

I don't know much about Dixons other than what I've gathered in this thread, but I hope he can transition from genero-big-box retailer to monumental, world-class retail experience.

Last edited:

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
They're not employing him to revolutionise their retail strategy. He's obviously an intelligent man with plenty of contacts and the ability to drive more retail openings. It's all about widening their audiences and focusing a lot more on European countries, an area in which he clearly has knowledge.

You are all missing the point. Apple's retail strategy is set and clear and this guy will not be able to change that to any significant degree. For Apple it's now all about location and expansion and you can bet that this guy has all major retail real estate brokers on speed dial. Apple needs to focus outside the US now and the change to a European director makes sense.

Do not expect to see the Apple store change in any big way anytime soon.

Couldn't agree more.

In The Netherlands, Dixons is crap too. I don't think John Browett is the evil genius mastermind behind this. He probably has a good network to expand stores in Europe.

No one will let him change the Apple Retail formula as it is, no one would let him.

The only thing I'm worried for is the AppleCare part. I know that Dixons tries to sell Protection Plans with everything, so maybe Apple wants this boosted through him?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
1. To those saying Apple never releases a product before its ready...not exactly. Apple releases a product when it's ready enough. That's just the reality of a fast moving high tech CE market. Today's tech is too complex, and consumers too impatient, for product to be even 90% bug free before it goes public. But I think Apple has a better track record than most at selling product that is eminently usable on release.

2. Glad Apple has a new SVP of Retail. Now can we please have some new product in retail? Ha. (I'm one of the impatient wanting fresh merch. to trade up to).

This forum is delusional (as is often the case these days).

I have never heard of Dixon's but I find it hilarious that everyone on this thread thinks they are in a better position to quantify Browett's attributes than the executive search team and subsequent Senior Managers of Apple.

I also laugh when I see clear anti-Apple zealots (ironically on this site) talking about how this marks the top of Apple. These people said the same thing once iPhone 4S was introduced, they will say it again when iPad 3 is introduced, and also with every subsequent Apple product. These people are clueless, they have been consistently wrong, and should be ignored.

The biggest risk here is that Browett, an outsider, doesn't fit in with Apple's culture.

I would disagree with your post whole heartedly.

If Browllet had proved his work as CEO of Dixons then DSG and its horrible set up would have risen through the ranks of the annual Which survey and maybe offered some competition with the likes of John Lewis. However they didn't. Browlett obviously brought no change what so ever and thus they remained bottom of pile. 4 years he was there and nothing was worth going into Dixons for. Dixons could have been successful if it hadn't stocked so much crap and focused entirely on delivering quality goods and even better well trained, natural tech staff.

He was at Tescos too. Again I can tell you that it aint all that. No dramatic improvement. Tescos is a rather cheap frustrating place that offer nothing new in the shopping experience. Ive been in many stores and often leave thinking that each store is run by some headless chicken.

I very much doubt Browlett will have any significant impact on the retail side or be able to bring much to the party amongst the Apple chiefs that are already running it. Hes basically jumping on the easy meal ticket wagon because its Apple. I'll probably give him a year before hes back in the UK working for some other shoddy retailer 'selling em cheap and stocking em high' after having cocked up Apple.

Surely Jonny Ive has been to a Dixons whilst growing up the UK and he would say exactly the same thing as the rest of us!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sure, I get you! No denying that. But many other people did have problems. So to say Apple NEVER release a product until it's ready (which is what I was responding to if you check the context) is simply not true.
Oh I don't disagree. But In the case of the iPhone 4 I think they believed it was ready. Obviously not enough real world testing was done, but no way did they release the phone knowing it would drop people's calls.

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
I was staggered to read the first one or two contributors who thought this was a good appointment I'm with the people who think Dixons format, delivery, concept etc was dreadful and Tesco's ??? Although if he was at Tesco's he'll know all about pretending to sell competitively whilst actually selling at a very inflated price.
My fear is that with Jobsy gone from the helm, the rest of them are rudderless and I expect their position to start to dwindle.

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

WTF?! PC World is total bot! They once tried to issue my refund on a gift card, even when I had the receipt and the product was clearly faulty but only just purchased! Apparently it was easier for them to do it this way! Yeah... He (a very pushy Indian or Pakistani chap) didn't want to lose out on his commission more like.

This surely will end up bad

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
...and yet the stock is up 2.35 in pre-market trading. Guess wall street isn't too concerned about this appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.