Apple need to use this folding-plug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrSingh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. MrSingh macrumors regular

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Cool stuff. Would make traveling w/ an iPad or MB(P) and iPhone so much easier.

3. MrSingh thread starter macrumors regular

4. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Hopefully, the plug will also come with a plastic cap cover to protect against the brass pins when broken down.

You know, like normal 3-pin plugs come new with that throwaway cover. Except I'm thinking more along the lines of Apple cables (Firewire, USB etc.) that come with that hard transparent 'cap' protector. Even broken down, the brass pins still represent a scratching hazard against any soft aluminium laptop surface.

Still, a fantastic solution for a problem that has often annoyed me. Congrats to the guy and look forward to availability.

5. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Great design from an ergonomic point of view but is it a viable design? I'm not expert but I have read various things indicating that the design as it stands would not meet the UK's strict safety standards.

6. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

His website says the plug is currently undergoing testing prior to release - it will need to have the BS kitemark and the CE stamp (in accordance with European legislation).

Q – Is the plug safe?
    A – Yes. The plug and associated products will undergo extensive testing and be certified by all national safety bodies prior to release.

From what I can see from the schematic of the design, there should be no problem it meeting the relevant safety criteria, and it certainly wouldn't have been won the Design Award if serious doubts persisted.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Amazing design. What's really impressive, is not just the plug itself, but the concept for the multi-plug adapter that you can see at the end of the video. Awesome.