Apple needs a "Competitive Update" to iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Aug 12, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Up until just a few months ago, Apple dominated the headlines with the iPad, the new iPhone 4 and generally iOS4. However, has anyone noticed that Apple coverage has been somewhat displaced in technology media by all things Android? I'm seeing EVO's and Droid's everywhere on the street now and Google brings new features every few months it seems. The iPhone 4 isn't even an Editors choice on CNET (the 3GS is however).

I'm not sure Apple can get by over the next year with simple bug fixes. I think they need to roll out an update that adds new features well prior to the next hardware release to remain relevant. Who here thinks Apple will even consider such a move? Or, do you think Steve is just shaking his head in Cupertino and shrugging it all off?

2. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

What exactly is iOS 4 missing that it could add to give it some competitive advantage? Is someone touting awesome features on the Android that iOS 4 doesn't have something similar to? I'm not aware of anything myself. My take is that Android is in the news because Android-based phones are finally becoming decent alternative to iPhones. So their primary competitive feature is newness.

I personally would be perfectly happy with fixes and tweaks. I'd like multi-tasking to work more intelligently. I'd like my apps to be fast again. I'd like better low-light imaging on the iPhone 4's camera. Etc. These aren't major changes, though.

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

You know how excited people were that you could choose your own background for the homescreen, or when they added copy + paste? I think that sums up everything about the majority of Apple's customers; once they're in the Apple ecosystem they'll get just as excited about the tiniest of thing and that'll do for them and Apple knows this.

4. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

I'm sure it's hardly any concern for him as he knows he has a huge swath of consumers wrapped around his fingers.

5. camarobh macrumors 6502

Who cares what CNET says? Android is one major privacy breach from obscurity.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I like the well thought out suggestion of having a major OS upgrade just for the sake of a major OS upgrade.

No suggestions or bullet points pointing out major features they might incorporate. Just a post saying that Apple better have another major software release soon or else. You can tell a lot of time and thought went into this proposal.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The question is whether any of Google's "constant" updates are any good. Are they? I have no idea. The iOS 4 just came out 2 months ago, so I think the OP is just a little excited or rather demanding some instant gratification. I don't have any expectations for the iOS right now cause we just GOT a big delivery.

8. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I know one person with an EVO, and she got it because she couldn't buy an iPhone on Sprint and is still on her family's plan. Actually, everyone I know with an android phone wanted an iPhone but it wasn't on their perspective carrier.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it's missing an Anti Virus app. Its the Must-Have for Android users and Apple has fallen behind the times.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/free_android_security_app/

10. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

It's easy...custom email sounds alert (like the level 1 message on the BB). With that , you can choose different alert (including mute) depending of the sender. I think that's where IP4 falls behind on email management especially on the enterprise side.

11. dr2323 macrumors member

This is the same exact situation I had with all of my friends. A bunch of them intially got iPod Touches, but then Android came out so they could finally get a Phone that was kind of comparable to the iPhone and availiable on Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint.

Honestly if iPhone goes to Verizon, I guarantee that alot of those android users will switch to the iPhone as soon as they can. Just look at the number of new At&t customers that have come over just for the iPhone and basically saved At&t as a company.

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

13. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Apple won't be able to keep pace with Android. They simply don't have the man power.

Samsung, Motorola, HTC and now Sony & Dell are all throwing the newest hardware they can as fast as they can into handsets and pushing them out to manufacturing as soon as the devices pass testing.

That is 3 very large, very skilled international corporations (some of whom have their own chip fabs) that only have to worry about the hardware. They download the OS, optimize it for their particular handset and then sell it

Google, probably the most innovative software company since the internet went mainstream, is providing the OS. In 2-3 years they have integrated their desktop web search, maps & GPS, email, and on-demand video onto mobile computing&communication systems.

They rule the advertising, video, and search roosts on the internet. Apple has a bigger music store, but Google enjoys superior position in almost all other aspects of online presence & position.

Then there is the fact that Apple has been restricted to 1 of 4 major networks which has slowed the roll out of features to their OS.

Looking at a chart of Android growth over its lifespan should paint a sobering picture of what Android is capable of when its firing on all 4 cylinders.

No single company could compete with that without some kind of huge, massive breakthrough (like the original iPhone2G was). I don't see anything like that happening anytime soon. The iPhone4 wasn't even the most advanced phone by time it released.

14. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I wouldn't talk about security exploits when the one used for the Jailbreak exploit is capable of taking over the whole system.

As for the OP, I can see them them doing bi-yearly upgrades to keep up with Android, but I doubt they would do it more frequently than that. Too frequent of updates (like Android) can cause confusion among users as there starts to become too many versions to keep track of, and it's hard to find out which phone can run which version. It also makes each update less exciting for users. Think of the upgrades as more of an iOS 4.5 though, over a completely brand new version.

15. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

What is iOS 4 missing? Home screen customization, widgets, flash(yes, I know its not every going to happen on iOS) better voice recognition to name a few.

Since iOS4 has been released, Android has released new features twice already--with Gingerbread slated for release well before the next annual iOS release in the summer with the new iPhone--that makes at least 3 major updates in the time it takes Apple to release one. I'm not counting bug fixes as updates.

I think iOS is great, I'm only suggesting that perhaps Apple might want to change its strategy a bit to maintain its standing. Clearly, Apple is selling iPhones hand over fist still--but the most exciting news is not coming from Apple these days.

I can tell simply by the immediate, negative responses that I've hit a nerve here. Keep in mind I'm not talking about your mothers--just smartphones.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple is still selling iPhones as fast as they can make them.

That is, by definition, as good as they can do. Why not hold back new features until 2011? What possible reason do they have to bring them out now? So they can sell even more iPhones? That's not possible, they can't make them any faster!

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Exactly. Jobs is selling truckloads of this phone and they can barely keep up with the demand as it is. The real tech nerds (like myself) either jailbreak their phones to add great features or simply move to Android. But we're a very small percentage of the iPhone customer base, and the majority, as someone else pointed out, erupts in applause when something as overdue and minor as multitasking, wallpapers, and cut/paste are introduced. Apple knows this and is in no hurry to keep up with the Joneses. Just wait - they'll use their acquisition of Siri to introduce something like voice-to-text in iOS 5, a feature that's already prominent on Android phones, and the masses will act like Apple just invented fire.

They know exactly what they're doing and who their loyal customers are.

18. MacJones macrumors 6502

I would love to see Apple bring Home Screen Widgets to the iPhone. I seriously doubt it's gunna happen in iOS 4 though, maybe iOS 5 or 6.

19. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I think they'll stick with their time line, summer. BUT i agree with you about some competitive updates.
    I'd like to see THIS:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=992172

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Oh, go soak your head in a pail of ice! :mad:

- Apple has enough man-power.

- The companies who are creating the hardware aren't exactly stacking up so nicely against Apple. (iPhone 5MP > EVO 4G 8MP)

- It's not that easy. "Very skilled?" Come on!

- I wouldn't call it "on par" with Apple though, and they're not the most innovative. Google has taken many ideas from Apple over the years.

- Search. Ads. YouTube. That's about it.

- Apple isn't restricted. It was their own choice. The iPhone is breaking exclusivity with AT&T soon... I can feel it in my bones. Hello T-Mobile and Verizon! :D

- No!!! :eek: I can't keep up... my lungs... are gasping... burning for air! Good grief. :p

- Really? That's very... interesting. :rolleyes:

21. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Why does it need a competitive update at all?

Most people should know what an iPhone can do when they buy one and what they do do, they do really *********g well.

22. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Because by 2011 it will be too late. Google is rolling out new features now, and faster than Apple has so far. I hope that changes.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Couldn't have been better said. Here's to you, sir! ;)

24. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't think Apple and Google need to copy each other feature for feature. But if Flash is now available on Android 2.2, and users can customize their phones--what's Apple's answer to that? Perhaps *different* and exciting features--but something needs to be released.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Big whoop. Google knows they need to slow the process down. Fragmentation, anyone?

I remember an article awhile back about Google slowing the update cycle to once per year (similar to Apple) after Android 3.0 is released. Just sayin'.