Apple needs a proper trackpad for Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by reel2reel, Jul 23, 2011.

1. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

The "natural" scroll feature in Lion is kind of pointless with current hardware. If it's supposed to be approximating the experience of dragging and scrolling on an iPhone or iPad, then there's one major problem: the current trackpad surface isn't mapped to the screen. If I touch in the bottom left corner of my trackpad, my cursor doesn't move to the bottom left of my screen. If points on the trackpad related to points on the screen, then it would start to feel more like I'm interacting directly with the computer. Right now, there's a disconnect.

If I'm not explaining well, think of a wacom tablet: the tablet is mapped to your screen, so you can very quickly and precisely point, click and drag with your pen (Unless the tablet is set to mouse mode).

Navigation via a mapped touch surface would be so much more efficient and more natural, do you think?

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Except that it works perfectly with current hardware.

All that's really changed is the scrolling direction. And you can change it back if you like. It shouldn't be difficult to wrap your head around this. On top of that you've gained some new gestures. :)

3. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

Except the OP was saying the trackpad should map to the screen real estate so that if I want to move (scroll) something from the bottom of the screen to the top, I would touch the bottom of the trackpad and slide to the top. I also think it would make the Natural scrolling even better.

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

no. 1:1 mapping would be pointless because its not trying to be a touchscreen trackpad. its just a normal cursor/mouse just like before except they simply reversed the scrolling so the gesture is more "natural" like iOS. Just like in iOS, it doesn't matter WHERE you flick your finger to scroll, why should it matter on a trackpad on a computer?

5. JTToft, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

JTToft macrumors 68040

I can follow your reasoning. At first, I thought it felt very strange, too. But after a couple of days, I am quite comfortable with it.
    Try giving it some time.

However, there seems to be a bug in iTunes: When you scroll to an album and let go once that album is reached, iTunes will scroll one album further to the left (regardless of which direction you scrolled in). This is really annoying!

6. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I didn't mean one to one mapping but location mapping like the Wacom tablets use. I agree that for flicking to scroll it doesn't make any difference, but for scrolling precisely within documents or for moving items it is quite nice when where you touch the pad matches where you are (relatively speaking) on the screen. No reason it couldn't be optional (Wacom tablets change their behavior based on the tool you are using so it shouldn't be too hard to change between them). I thought it was a great idea and would like to see it. Maybe Better Touch Tool will implement it.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Would be pretty sweet.

iOS allows you to scroll with one finger. that seems natural. Lion doesn't not so natural.

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

1. Trackpads suck. That's what USB is for.
    2. Natural scrolling sucks. Scrolling is for wheels in mice.
    3. While that would make sense if touchpads were actually possible to comfortably use, they aren't.

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

1. The Magic Trackpad is awesome. What does USB have to do with anything?
    2. I personally like natural scrolling. Just because something is different doesn't make it suck. Scrolling is not only for mice wheels, it actually feels more functional to me on a trackpad.
    3. I have no problem comfortably using my Magic Trackpad.

All of your statements are your opinion that you seem to try to pass on as fact. I know my statements are opinion also, some people prefer mice and some prefer trackpads.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

1. There go like all notebooks. USB is not a device.
    2. You've got a mouse attached to your iOS device/modern smartphone?
    3. Except nearly everyone uses them in one or another form. Get with the times.

11. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

It's obvious you're not getting my point.

I have no trouble wrapping my head around anything, I'm just a couple steps ahead of you is all.

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

1 :rolleyes:
    2 :rolleyes:
    3 :rolleyes:

13. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

You're also missing the point. The launchpad, "natural" scrolling and swiping full-screen app's are all trying to to mimic touchscreen. Isn't that obvious?

"Just like in iOS, it doesn't matter WHERE you flick your finger to scroll, why should it matter on a trackpad on a computer?"

OF COURSE it matters where you click in iOS. How else would you select a button? Jeez, does nobody understand what I'm saying?

I didn't say I wasn't comfortable with it. I'm way beyond that. I got it in about two seconds. I'm realizing what's lacking.

So you're saying trackpads shouldn't scroll? Glad you're not on the design team!

14. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

If you can't get used to the trackpad forget upgrading the OS and stay behind.

15. aleni macrumors 68020

for those who hate reverse scrolling, please give the jungle king time to get used to it or you will always live in the past.

believe me, the reverse scrolling feels really great and natural once u get used to it.

the key to learn it quickly is when u want to scroll on webpages is to imagine your fingers that are on the screen, not the trackpad.

16. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

I don't think that having the trackpad mapped to the screen would make scrolling feel more natural for me as I'm not even aware of the size of the trackpad when I'm using it. The reason Wacom tablets have it is, I suspect, so that you can lift your pencil off the paper, as 't were. But the trackpad can be mapped to the screen with the right software as Bettertouchtool's live view and Magickeyboard evidence.

17. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

FLICK, not click.

No, I really dont understand why you want the screen mapped to the trackpad. Are you saying we should be able to select/click something without having to moving the cursor (like a touchscreen)? I don't see how that would be efficient because that would require you to look at where you're touching the trackpad, but that still wont help because you have no visual feedback on the trackpad. It won't be accurate at all.

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then I misunderstood what you were saying. My apologies.

But I'm with VTECaddict when he says he doesn't quite understand your wish to map the trackpad to the screen...

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

1. USB allows you to attach a real mouse for a proper computing experience. I've got a nice one for my desk, and a cheapie for my backpack, both work infinitely better than some stupid track pad.

No, but those are touchscreens, not trackpads. I wish AT&T had a good keyboarded smartphone, but unfortunately the last couple of flagship smartphones for them (Captivate, Atrix, and soon SGSII) all lack a physical 'board.

3. Yes, I use one when I have no other option, which is rarely, and only when I literally have no other choice, as it is a highly subpar form of user input on a computer. The whole "laptop" thing with a laptop actually in the user's lap is just a bad way to compute, my "laptop" pretty much moves from desk to desk, or table, or whatnot.