Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macJOS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Apple needs to be broken up, probably into hardware, software and services companies.

Notably, I predict more competition around macOS would drive down hardware prices, and charging for macOS, iOS, etc., upgrades and maintenance would slow down hardware churn which would be better for the environment.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Apple needs to be broken up, probably into hardware, software and services companies.

Notably, I predict more competition around macOS would drive down hardware prices, and charging for macOS, iOS, etc., upgrades and maintenance would slow down hardware churn which would be better for the environment.
and why exactly?
Did you forget to put the “/s” at the end of your post?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Apple has a de facto monopoly on hardware allowed to run macOS. This is not in the best interest of consumers because it removed competition from this space.
This point has been argued ad nauseum. Not just in the Mac community, but in the business/financial community as well.

While Apple has total control of both Mac OS hardware and software, it does not constitute a market. There is no actionable market for Mac OS. The market is PC operating systems and Mac OS does not constitute anything close to a controlling share of the market. Therefore, anything that Apple does, doesn't violate an abuse of a monopoly powers.

An analogy (not perfect) would be that you can only get Big Macs at McDonalds restaurants. McDonalds has 100% control over Big Macs sold around world. However, there really isn't a Big Mac market. The market is fast-food hamburgers and there are plenty of alternatives, but none of them are Big Macs. Would there be more competition if Burger King franchisees were allowed to sell Big Macs? Sure. It would drive competition and be beneficial to Big Mac customers if they could go to a Chick Fil A to buy their Big Macs.

Mac OS is a niche OS. Apple can offer or not offer it to other hardware vendors. Apple chooses not to.

Anyway, you have to be careful in defining a narrow market. If a market is defined too narrowly, there could never be any exclusives.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
We don’t need to break up Apple, just support EU regulations that break down the closed tech ecosystems. Sideloading is a consumer benefit.

Apple doesn’t need to break up, but honestly they need to actually put effort into hardware again. It’s feeling very recycled these days… sure, don’t change if it’s good, but the hardware team are so lazy with updating old tech- Mac Mini 12 year old design, iPhone SE 8 years, and Mac Studio was just… boring?

Apple fan from Korea

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2021

What about Google? Or Microsoft? Or Samsung? Or any other tech company?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
That would cease to be Apple and there would be no remaining player in the market that provides tight integration between hardware, software and services. It's like saying Reeses needs to be broken up into separate chocolate and peanut butter companies.

heinzdembowski

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2021
More competition is achieved by companies producing quality products that motivate people to make the purchase. There is no logical reason to break up Apple especially when the free market is in play.
How much VC money would you need to create a company that competes with Apple by designing its own Hardware and writes its own Operating Systems from scratch. Then it also would build a network of retail stores around the world. Next, maybe the Microsoft Office replacement to attract enough people. Then, casually steal the business ideas of Dropbox, Netflix, and Spotify in worse but run the Amazon tactic of using all the (in this case) VC cash you have lying around to lump this stuff together and undercut the price of your competition until it dies, which is when you can finally raise your prices again.

My point is, if a company does this much, in order for there to be competition breaking it up doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

Good joke, thank you for making us smile

Reactions: AlexMac89

MindYourMind

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2020
The Netherlands

Whether apple should be broken up into multiple companies I don't know. But would 'more competition' around macOS be the only possible outcome of breaking up Apple? Wouldn't 'more competition' be a choice, just as 'more collaboration' would be a choice? What is our evidence that 'more collaboration' will not be better than 'more competition'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.