Apple needs to create a free sync service.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spammerhamster, Mar 30, 2011.

1. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Who used iBooks knows that you can let iBooks sync with your iTunes account so you can resume reading where you left off on all your devices.

I hope apple would open up a free sync service for all apps. Imagine a bookmark and tabs sync for browsers, progress sync for games, data sync for gtd-apps... It'd make the experience so much smoother.

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

MobileMe does some of that (bookmarks and whatever apps choose to sign up), and there's a rumour that it's about to be made free...

3. bigluzer macrumors newbie

rumors are that apple is introducing, later this year, a cloud=based music/file storage, like the recent amazon cloudtool.

4. peterjcat macrumors 6502

5. goMac macrumors 603

Yep, you're talking about MobileMe, which used to be free, and has a sync API on the Mac developers can plug into.

So this already exists, but Apple charges for it right now. :(

6. bigluzer macrumors newbie

7. goMac macrumors 603

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have a feeling that this will be a big part of iOS5.

Have a shared iDisk that apps can open from and save files to that is synced back to your mac and iPhone.

Make a free and paid tier and everyones happy.

MobileMe has iDisk already but you have to pay for it and it sucks compared to Dropbox.

And also let you store your iTunes library in the cloud and stream to your mobile devices. Just like Amazon just did.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Being able to repeatedly download would be nice, but I'm not sure about streaming, given how both ATT and Verizon are starting to nickle and dime data usage.