Apple needs to develop an iPad keyboard with backlight!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TinaBelcher, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

I just got my 10.5 ASK and it’s actually not that bad or too cramped as i feared. It’s all about adjusting.. However, I’m currently typing in my bedroom at 8 pm and I cant see sh*t! It’s a nightmare and I keep hitting the wrong buttons. I don’t understand how the Surface Pro keyboard which is the same thickness can craft a legit keyboard with backlight yet Apple can’t!? It blows my mind. Honestly, I was about to buy the surface pro the other day just for the amazing feeling I got from typing on the keyboard. I was in heaven. I still may buy it in the future. I know a lot of you will tell me about Logitech, however I’m not interested in heavy keyboards. If Apple doesn’t make a new improved keyboard for gen 3 this summer my eyes are gonna roll out of my head.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Surface Pro keyboard is not that good. I have never owned a separate keyboard before and always been happy with the on screen keyboard on my 10.5.

3. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Any keyboard case aren’t that good in my opinion. The key travel is just too shallow in my taste and keys are too cramped together.

When I am using iPad on a stand, I always connecting my iPad with wired Razor keyboard with lightning to USB adaptor. Some keyboard has backlight which require too much power, I will connect the keyboard with powered USB hub and connect the USB hub to the lighting to USB adaptor.

If i need to travel with the iPad, i will have the Logetich K400R Bluetooth keyboard with me. I will never want to type with on screen keyboard.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2018 ---
    Honestly, If you are using iPad on a desk, why the keyboard weight matters? I will never use any keyboard case. I never liked the Apple keyboard case, does not like the shallow key travel. I connect my iPad with wired machincal keyboard. The typing experience is night and day.

4. strawberryshortcake macrumors regular

Will having a backlight really make it that much more effective? I've never used a backlight keyboard and I type in complete darkness during the night. My computer monitor or ipad on screen light works effective as a light source.

Not if you want to be efficiently quick and productive. Words per minute typed will always be faster with a traditional keyboard over the on screen keyboard. No contest. No one is going to write papers, books with an on screen keyboard. Even replying to message boards, a physical keyboard is much better. Currently typing on a real keyboard.

Do you have a link to that Logitech k400r bluetooth keyboard?

Did logitech ever make a k400r bluetooth? The only k400r I know of is the wireless one that uses logitech unifying receiver, which is what I'm using to type with my PC (no bluetooth).

5. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

That’s subjective. To you it’s not, but to me it felt amazing. Therefor that’s the feel I’m looking for when typing.

6. sparksd macrumors 68020

Another good Logitech Bluetooth keyboard is the K380:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K380-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0148NPH9I

I use one with both my 10.5 iPP and laptop - switching is via single keystroke.

7. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clearly, I’m not a night owl like yourself, so for me it’ll obviously be very, very beneficial ;)

8. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

100% agree. I have a Logitech backlit standalone keyboard and I can’t live without it. I’m blind in one eye and the lit keys help me tremendously. I’ve been wanting a backlit keyboard cover for my iPad Pro for quite some time and I don’t understand why Apple wouldn’t come out with such a product.

9. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do believe Apple will make it happen one day, but I’m afraid it won’t be in 2018 or 2019. It shouldn’t be a luxury but a necessity!

10. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

I am sorry. My mistake. I am using the one with unifying receiver... I have it hooked up with the lightning to US one. The Bluetooth keyboard i am using is the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tablet-Keyboard-iPad-generation/dp/B00A66XB54

This one came with case for the keyboard... I just toss it to by bag and use the case as tablet stand.

11. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Has Apple ever released any backlit keyboard? I don't remember any. I don't think Apple will make one. The keyboard case is powered by iPad's battery. The backlit keyboard will consume lots of iPad's battery, that is not something Apple would do.

12. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I was hoping they would release one soon too. I can't justify the $160 for a keyboard that's missing a top row with volume controls and of course the backlit keys. imo that would be a keyboard thats fitting for a Pro tablet. The only thing pro with the current one is just the smart connect.

I don't think the backlit keys would consume a lot of battery if you use LEDs or something that doesn't hog the battery. Plus its not something that very bright, just enough to see in the dark.

13. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Apple is way too stupid to get it about backlit keyboards. Simply put, there should be no keyboards sold ever anywhere that are not backlit. Sheesh folks, this is 2018 for crying out loud.

14. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The Smart Keyboard feels much better than the Surface keyboard in my opinion. I have both.

Also I never look at the keyboard when I'm typing so backlight or not doesn't matter to me.

15. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I don’t miss backlighting except when I’m doing something numbers-heavy. That tests the limits of my touch typing.

16. BritishApple macrumors regular

I use this one with my 9.7 2017 iPad. Cost me £39.99 off Amazon. Works great, and it had backlit keys with 7 colours to choose from.

Attached Files:

17. azpekt macrumors regular

While you give Apple such a valuable advices and waiting for backlighted keyboards, you might as well learn touch typing.

18. mk313 macrumors 6502a

If it’s something you do regularly, you might benefit from a Bluetooth 10 key number pad. I hooked one up to my iPad Pro this weekend and it works great. Much easier than using the Smart Keyboard when doing taxes.

19. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Which one do you use? Want to make sure I get something that works with iOS.

20. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

I used the Zagg keyboard and protective case for my Air2 worked great

21. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if they still sell it, but I use the Zagg 10 Key pad. It is (was) marketed as iOS specific, although it works just fine on my MacBook as well. I like it quite a bit and it's very small & lightweight. https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/keyboards/10-key-number-pad-keyboard-accessory

I also have a generic bluetooth keypad from a brand called Satechi, that I got off Amazon & it also pairs just fine with my iPad Pro. I just looked it up & I see that it is now listed as compatible with iPads, although at the time I bought it, it didn't say that. Here is the link to the one I bought. While it works just fine with the iPad, it is somewhat bigger than the Zagg one (about twice the height at it's tallest.) It does have an on/off switch which the Zagg doesn't have, so that is a plus.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011AO91GI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

The greatest thing is that while the iPad only supports one bluetooth keyboard at a time, since the Smart keyboard isn't bluetooth, you can use both it & the bluetooth 10 key at the same time.

If the Zagg is still available, I'd recommend one of those, just simply for the size/portability, as well as that it was designed for iOS. That being said, if you can't find one, any bluetooth model should work. Just make sure you get one with a tab key (or at least I find that tremendously useful).

22. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

That number key keyboard is very expensive. I am just using traditional USB wired keyboard hocked up with lightning to USB adaptor.

23. mk313 macrumors 6502a

That's great that works as well! There are lots of ways to accomplish this, but I hadn't seen anyone mention the combo of a Smart Keyboard, plus an external bluetooth number pad before, so I figured it was worth mentioning, especially when someone mentioned doing a lot of work with numbers, as that is where I use mine the most.

The Satechi one is like $30. I didn't think that was 'very expensive' but to each his own. For some, the portability of a bluetooth number pad vs carrying a full external usb keyboard, plus a lighting to USB adapter (which is $29 on it's own) will be worth the extra $1, especially if they already have the smart keyboard cover.

24. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Thank you!