Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
There's two things that annoy me:

1. There is no way to choose the band you want or buy a band-less watch. If you are buying a replacement or even an upgrade, you may get stuck with a 2nd identical band because the options are so limited.

Apple should let you pick the type of watch, then type of band. It's okay for the band and watch to come in separate boxes. I think this is what they did in the past anyway if I am not mistaken.

2. In countries where Apple Watch cellular does not work/doesn't have a deal with a local carrier, Apple only sells the aluminum watches. This is because all stainless steel (and ceramic for that matter) watches have cellular.

It's annoying because people in places like this may still want a stainless steel watch and may not care that cellular may be disabled or useless on it. Right now, the only options for those people are to overpay for a 2nd hand/3rd party unit *IF* there is even one available... or go abroad to buy one. Ordering online and having it delivered may be subject to import taxes.

Apple should sell the stainless steel model and just modify the software so that the cellular part is disabled. Or make a version without all that stuff built in, the way the aluminum has both variants.

Reactions: Bigdog9586

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
In general you can get all the models with a sports band which while normally $49 are essentially a nearly $0 cost to apple and is considered the "throw away" band by apple. You basically need to consider the models with a sports band the "band-less" option and its likely priced in a way that apple considers it a no-cost value add (ie. don't think they would sell the watch for $49 less without a band, they would NEVER do that since the band likely only costs them a dollar or two they would be losing nearly $49 in profit.).

Summary: buy a watch with a sports band, throw it away if you must and get the band of your choice separately. don't think you were "cheated" by having to "pay" for the sports band because there is no way apple would ever lower the price of a watch by $49 by selling it without a band.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apple changes colors of there bands throughout the year.

As much as I would like to see an a la carte experience I feel it would ruin the overall experience for the new owner.
Macbooks, iMac, ipads, iphones and watches are designed to give the user an out of the box experience without any assembly, minus removing the wrapping and powering the item on.

I would be for a BTO on line option.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
There's two things that annoy me:

1. There is no way to choose the band you want or buy a band-less watch. If you are buying a replacement or even an upgrade, you may get stuck with a 2nd identical band because the options are so limited.

Apple should let you pick the type of watch, then type of band. It's okay for the band and watch to come in separate boxes. I think this is what they did in the past anyway if I am not mistaken.

2. In countries where Apple Watch cellular does not work/doesn't have a deal with a local carrier, Apple only sells the aluminum watches. This is because all stainless steel (and ceramic for that matter) watches have cellular.

It's annoying because people in places like this may still want a stainless steel watch and may not care that cellular may be disabled or useless on it. Right now, the only options for those people are to overpay for a 2nd hand/3rd party unit *IF* there is even one available... or go abroad to buy one. Ordering online and having it delivered may be subject to import taxes.

Apple should sell the stainless steel model and just modify the software so that the cellular part is disabled. Or make a version without all that stuff built in, the way the aluminum has both variants.

The last time I purchased a watch online and went to return it I was given the option to swap out the band, rather than return it in full. This was the U.K. Apple Store online.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

It's annoying because people in places like this may still want a stainless steel watch and may not care that cellular may be disabled or useless on it.

I agree that's a problem, but I'm curious why that annoys you personally since you are in Chicago.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple no doubt considered selling the Watch as a modular product (it would, after all, make Apple's inventory management easier) and decided against it. I think they made the right call, because people expect to buy a watch, not part of a watch. Also, the base price would be very little (if any) smaller and people would complain that they must buy a band separately. While there are arguments on both sides, it's generally best to sell a product with everything needed to make the product work as expected (attached to your wrist, among other things).

I agree that stainless should be available everywhere, irrespective of the availability of cellular service.

Reactions: c1nnamon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m perfectly content with the band selection offered combined with the Watch selection (I.E. Stainless, aluminum, ceramic). If I want additional bands, I have the *option* of choosing my own preference and style. Especially now Apple has really expanded different combinations of band materials, colors and styles, there system seems to be working as intended.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I agree that's a problem, but I'm curious why that annoys you personally since you are in Chicago.

I spent the last year on business in the Philippines and wanted to upgrade my watch (I have the original series 0) but I didn’t wanna step down to aluminum.

Also, the base price would be very little (if any) smaller and people would complain that they must buy a band separately.

A band could be mandatory at purchase but just let people pick the band they want. I already have original sports in black and white and I also have the Milanese loop.

If I want to buy a stainless steel watch now I have to get a duplicate band when I’d prefer to have gotten a band I don’t already have.

They can be sold as a package even if they come in two packages at purchase. I’m sure Apple can figure this out.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I agree. I'd like the ability to choose a different sports band with my S4 SS next month...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree. I'd like the ability to choose a different sports band with my S4 SS next month...

Technically you can, just separately. I think Apple‘s way of actually implementing the band selection process now makes sense, as the consumer likely will purchase additional bands anyways.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
In general you can get all the models with a sports band which while normally $49 are essentially a nearly $0 cost to apple and is considered the "throw away" band by apple. You basically need to consider the models with a sports band the "band-less" option and its likely priced in a way that apple considers it a no-cost value add (ie. don't think they would sell the watch for $49 less without a band, they would NEVER do that since the band likely only costs them a dollar or two they would be losing nearly $49 in profit.).

Summary: buy a watch with a sports band, throw it away if you must and get the band of your choice separately. don't think you were "cheated" by having to "pay" for the sports band because there is no way apple would ever lower the price of a watch by $49 by selling it without a band.

What's interesting is that when you compare the price of the stainless steel watch with the sport band vs. that with the milanese loop. $599 with sport band vs. $699 with milanese loop, even though the milanese loop sells for $150.

This I agree with this 1000%. I don't want a white sport band and I already have a black one. At least let me choose midnight blue or fog or something else.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
They could sell them like they do currently and also offer a watch only option for people upgrading. It sucks being forced to buy a bundle with a band that you won’t use.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wish I could order my new Series 4 Stainless Steel with a sport loop instead of the sport band. I’ve been wanting to pick one up and it would be far more useful than a white band I will absolutely never wear. Talk about wasteful for the environment, Apple!

I also don’t get why you can’t order any with a leather band. You can get the Milanese Loop! And no link bracelet option? The way it should work is your watch and band come in separate boxes.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also don’t get why you can’t order any with a leather band. You can get the Milanese Loop! And no link bracelet option? The way it should work is your watch and band come in separate boxes.

The Bolded is not true in your post. Apple did offer once the link bracelet combination for the regular stainless *and* black stainless Apple Watch first Gen Watch. But with the exorbitant price point, they likely eliminated that option and made the link band a separate purchase, being the band alone is over $400.

I own the black and regular stainless link bracelet, both of which I purchased separately, as I was not interested in purchasing it with the stainless watch at the time.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Apple no doubt considered selling the Watch as a modular product (it would, after all, make Apple's inventory management easier) and decided against it. I think they made the right call, because people expect to buy a watch, not part of a watch. Also, the base price would be very little (if any) smaller and people would complain that they must buy a band separately. While there are arguments on both sides, it's generally best to sell a product with everything needed to make the product work as expected (attached to your wrist, among other things).

I agree that stainless should be available everywhere, irrespective of the availability of cellular service.

I’m not sure that’s the case at all, as it stands you don’t have issues with people buying a device and not having the stock of the essential item they want to go with it.
Whilst I think this could be an option for apple stores it would be a nightmare for 3rd party stores.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I’m not sure that’s the case at all, as it stands you don’t have issues with people buying a device and not having the stock of the essential item they want to go with it.
Whilst I think this could be an option for apple stores it would be a nightmare for 3rd party stores.
It wouldn’t be the first time Apple had a configuration that was only available in their own stores. They do that quite frequently with some of the more popular BTO configurations of the macs.

I think your first point is the most likely reason. I mean, upgraders could also say they don’t need a new charger for the watch or the phones, don’t need new headphones, or don’t need a new keyboard and mouse when buying an iMac.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The Bolded is not true in your post. Apple did offer once the link bracelet combination for the regular stainless *and* black stainless Apple Watch first Gen Watch. But with the exorbitant price point, they likely eliminated that option and made the link band a separate purchase, being the band alone is over $400.

I own the black and regular stainless link bracelet, both of which I purchased separately, as I was not interested in purchasing it with the stainless watch at the time.
I thought they did too because I preordered the first gen and still use it daily. But I looked it up before posting my comment and sure enough, they don’t offer it. So then how am I wrong? If they haven’t offered it in years then they don’t offer it. Nothing wrong about what I said as it’s factually accurate as of the time I wrote it and also at the time that you responded as well as right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.