Apple needs to Integrate it's products even more

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M. Malone, Dec 17, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I wasn't sure where to post this:

Most of the electronics I own are Apple products. My friends call me an Apple fanboy, but I really don't consider myself that.

The only reason I buy Apple products is because OS X is great, and every other Apple product (iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Time Capsule, all work well TOGETHER)

I hated the iPhone at first (no physical keyboard, closed OS), but when I got the opportunity to try it out, I liked how well integrated it was with Mac OS X. Contacts, Pictures, music, videos, etc. synced flawlessly without issue. It had the OS X feel, like the Mail app look similar on the iPhone and Mac, and the SMS app has the OS X feel. I like the Mac OS X feel I get when I use my iPhone or any Apple product.

But I wish Apple made its hardware play together even more. Specifically, this is what I'd like to see:

My iPhone's messages and phone calls can be handled from my computer. It would be nice to read an SMS and reply to it from my Mac if my phone is in the other end of the room. Also have a list of missed calls on my computer and being able to make phone calls using my computer's microphone.

I also would like to have the option to integrate the iPhone with the Apple TV:

The Apple TV needs to be more than just a video player. It would be nice if it gave me today's weather forecast. I also would like it if I was watching a movie, and when I receive a phone call, the Apple TV pauses the movie and displays the caller's name and picture. Or if I receive an SMS it would display it in a Growl style message box in the top right of the TV screen.

Also having calendar reminders present in the Apple TV would be great.

These are just some ideas Apple can improve the connectivity feeling for its users. And I hope Apple can provide this soon

Does anyone have anymore?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

would you also like apple to make the iphone levetate and bring itself to your ear whenever you get a call? LOL:D

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

hmmm, that probably might be easier to do than what I'v asked for :D

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

SMS on the Mac is not going to happen. It used to be integrated with Address Book years back, but they removed it :mad:

I really like your Apple TV ideas, and I would like to see these integrated.
    Maybe shove WiFi in the thing and have it wirelessly sync with your Mac (or pc)?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is what I was thinking. I thought when apple bought out the iPhone it would be a given that you could do this (as well as sync notes). But apple decided to mess up with the iPhone, especially with bluetooth.

If they sorted this out, and have wifi/bluetooth syncing that would be a very decent start.

This is all I am missing from an integrations standpoint as I don't have an appleTV.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I agree with the OP; Apple really needs to make a stronger connection between their own products. I feel like lately they have worked harder to make their products universal to Mac's and PC's, like the iPod/iPhone/AppleTV. While I love these products, I want them to create features and connections you can only get when using their products together. The ideas the OP has are exactly the kind of stuff they could do to gives people that extra incentive to get a Mac to go with their iPhone.

When I got the original iPod and it only worked with a Mac, it was great to show people how simple it connected and worked and to say "You only get this kind of sleek/simplicity with Apple".