Apple needs to invent a haptic feedback keyboard now.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macmamamac, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Macmamamac, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015

Macmamamac macrumors regular

Apple keyboards have come long way since the days when the keys were as tall as mountain ranges. The amount of dust, hair and other nasties which used to accumulate inside my old Apple keyboard was just horrendous.

This problem has been sort of solved now that the keys are very thin, but there is still no denying that the keyboard is the most disgusting part of any desktop computer set up once the old finger jam starts spreading into the cracks and crevices.

This is not acceptable anymore.

The only solution to this problem is a crack and crevice free keyboard which mimics the feel of a traditional keyboard, and this is only possible with haptic technology.

A haptic feedback keyboard would be completely flat, elegant and easy to clean. There is simply no need for traditional keyboards anymore -- which are basically just dust, hair and food collectors -- when other technologies are available.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Not for me. I can imagine a lack of dampening plus vibrations equals arthritis and strain injury.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

well it really isn't good to eat at your desk. that is where your keyboard gets nasty with crumbs and such. I can understand how it happens though because I don't follow my own advice.

The haptic feedback works as a simple click but im not sold on a whole flat keyboard just yet. it sounds cool but im not sure if its viable or pose a problem down the road with carpel tunnel due to pressing on your fingers with no give or movement.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No thanks, I need key travel, and raised keys. In fact, I hate the keyboard that came with my 2015 iMac. The spacing and key travel are such that I struggle at typing.

I've been using a keyboard (and before that a typewriter) for many many years and so key travel and spacing are highly important to me. Simulated responses by way of the haptic engine won't cut it imo.

If you're unhappy with how the current keyboards are collecting stuff, then I suggest cleaning them often and don't eat at your desk. I think simple alterations to usage habits will minimize the disgustingness of the keyboard.

5. Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think Apple are ever going back to those massive tall keys with lots off travel, so for someone like yourself, you will always need to buy a third party keyboard to ever be happy while typing on a Mac. But for others, a flat haptic keyboard its not going to be an issue.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To keep it clean just avoid the contaminants or use a key cover.

@maflynn what keyboard are you using?

The haptic will be nice first for the iPad and iPhone, then probably will make sense for the Mac.

7. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Don't type while eating Cheesy Poofs.

I started out with the good ol' fashioned IBM keyboard with the function keys on the left where God (and WordPerfect) intended them to be. When the IBM AT came out, I went and bought three custom keyboards with the same mechanism and key placement. I used to arrive at work with my own keyboard under my arm, like Fast Eddie Felson and his Balabushka pool cue. My office mates complained that sitting near me was like being in a pitched machine gun battle.

As the years went on, I learned to like the new Apple keyboard with its chiclet keys and short travel. I don't know if I'm ready for anything with a shorter travel than the 2015 rMBP, however.

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

is it the new magic keyboard that came with your imac? The older mac keyboard wasnt that bad but I havent tried the new magic keyboard yet.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

No thanks. It might make a nice addition to iPad if it's even possible, but not for a desktop computer. That said, I've been using my Apple Bluetooth keyboard for 3 years now and it's still pristine. Have never even cleaned it short of wiping it down maybe once or twice a year with a microfiber cloth and iKlear. Then again, all of my Apple products look great / like new, including my cables, so I think the nastiness of keyboards depends on the user ...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the newer one and yes, my fingers have struggled at finding the keys. I've largely put it aside at this point, since it slows me down too much

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Why not pick up an Apple keyed mechanical?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a different keyboard, I was just saying how the delivered one is awful and a haptic designed keyboard would be even worse :)

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I concur..