Apple needs to make a fatter magic mouse.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zellio, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Do they really think that only women and kids use their desktops and laptops? That thing hurts after being used for a while..

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Buy any other type of mouse.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I personally find the Magic Trackpad a near perfect mouse replacement. It's ideal for most tasks but I do find it a little fiddly for Photoshop work.

5. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Buy a Razer Deathadder. It's almost TOO big for me, almost, and I have fairly large hands.

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Stop trying to hold it like a regular mouse. It's not meant to be held that way.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How can you hold it, if its any larger, you'll be making it a virtual magic trackpad at this point. So as others stated, just go and buy one of those.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

I use mine while Im video editing with FCPX - I have no problems with it whatsoever.

9. KScottMyers macrumors regular

I'm a 50 year old male and have been using one for years with no complaints.

Go to a different mouse if it bothers you that much.

10. theluggage macrumors 68030

The problem is that One Size Doesn't Fit All. What the world really needs is a wider selection of 3rd party Bluetooth mice that don't rely on their own separate USB dongle.

Meanwhile, if you can live with losing a USB slot to a tiny dongle (if you use a wired keyboard it plugs into that and vanishes): http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mice/logitech-performance-mouse-mx-review-49303605/

...and if you're buying an iMac, get it with the Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse. You'll probably still want a third-party mouse, but the trackpad is worth a try.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have large hands - heel of my palm to middle fingertip is over 8", and thumb tip to little finger tip outstretched is 9". I use the Magic Mouse for many hours each day and find it perfectly comfortable.

Now I'm not going to take the SJ approach and say "You're holding it wrong" :) but the MM size is perfectly suitable for a lot of people, regardless of hand size.

Attached Files:

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If they made it thinner, any adult would be scraping their hands on the desk when they use it. It doesnt make sense to make it thinner for children when its built for professionals

13. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LMAO but people who hold it that way are holding it in a way that will leads to aches. This isn't like the iPhone "you're holding it wrong" excuse. They actually designed the MM to be interacted with differently.

Optimally, you will have your wrist supported by something comfortably, with the three middle fingers laying on top of the mouse.

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple values style over functionality.

With their massive influence they know they're assured they can sell anything, it's just how it is. Widely regarded by some as perfect and infallible, you'll notice that instead of discussing its pros and cons usually the believers will just tell you to go somewhere else.

If one keeps this in mind and chooses accordingly its easy to avoid a bad purchase.

I find certain Apple products excellent. As such I've enjoyed years of good service and performance.

Other Apple products not so much. Those I simply avoid. There's no point in trying to discuss what one would prefer, they don't care.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm always willing to learn better ways to do things. However when I try to hold the mouse as I think you're describing, it's much more awkward for me. I have to lift two fingers in order to do the 95% of gestures that only need one finger. Someone has even made a silicone attachment to better accommodate a straight-on grip.

My method, with the mouse canted to the left by about 15 degrees, puts just my index finger on top, with my middle finger resting on the edge where it's easy to move in for right-clicks and two-finger gestures. For me this makes the vast majority of gestures easy with minimal effort. My hand is basically completely relaxed, I'm not "gripping" the mouse and I'm not having to hold fingers in a position that they don't fall into naturally.

I've used the MM exclusively on my home and work computers this way for about a year & love it.

16. Giuly, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Keeping the third finger on the edge of the mouse is actually quite comfortable, and when you need the three-finger gestures, you can just slide it over.

Really, you're holding it right when your hand is relaxed, and that probably means a different position for every hand. I tried to hold it in a way that gives me cramps and I couldn't even come up with one.

Instead of a fatter Magic Mouse, the next Apple keyboard should have a trackpad underneath the keys like the MacBooks. If you enable tap-to-click and keep both hands on the home row while pointing with your thumb, it solves 50 year old, Engelbertian problems and is guaranteed not to give you cramps.

17. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have been tempted to get one of these for my keyboard & trackpad. The trackpad gets only occasional use - I use the MM most often - but since I just got a MacBook (my first) I may find myself using the trackpad more often on my desktop too.

[​IMG]

18. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

I have this actually lol.

19. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I have big hands and I have used the magic mouse for hours with no pain or discomfort at all. In fact I went back to using a different mouse and it hurt my hand after only a little while.

20. opinio macrumors 65816

Hurts? Are you holding it the right way? It's the white side up with alloy side down.

21. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

It hurts because its so small.

----------

You can make that yourself for much less then $99 or even $50....

22. KScottMyers, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

KScottMyers macrumors regular

Or... Apple makes conscious design decisions when making products that may have tradeoffs in order to deliver something truly great.. Apple usually produces products that work differently from competing products, and because of these tradeoffs you usually don't have a "watered down" or "one size fits all" solution.

When I first started using the Magic Mouse, I was frustrated with how it felt but stuck with it for a week or two. Once I got use to the unique design I realized it became just an extension of my hand and "just worked".

These are the reasons we are "Believers". This has been the best mouse I have ever used.