Apple needs to put ad wizards to work on notebook line

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have had this inkling before, but reading this forum today brings it up even more.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to "name" their models than the time of year they were released. Some people on here are so uber-geek that they do it based on the processor code name. Egads on that since I really don't know the difference between Santa Rosa, Nehalem, and Bullwinkle.

It would just be nice to see some sort of naming convention for Apple's computers. At least the iPod/iPhone lines have the generations, but it's way simpler to do on much simpler devices.

Ideas or do I have way too much to think about? (yes)

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

What else would you name them? You can't give them numerical names, as they are easy to forget, and they look ugly and random (see the Dell line for proof).

I reckon the year, or at least the time of year it was released gives enough information.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A great deal of Apple's emphasis is on simplicity, naming has got to be a part of this. They have a very simple line up with a relative few "brands" - iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro etc - and it works well. I think they're fine to stick with it. Those that need to know or care can tell the difference by the year/time of year.

4. goobimama macrumors regular

I don't think they need a naming convention. You only need to name your MacBook after you have bought it. Before that it is just 'MacBook', which works fine with the consumers.

5. Skyldig macrumors regular

I kinda agree. I've been searching for some 3dMark06 benchmarks of the new MB with the 9400M graphics card, but it take so long becuase I have to do many searches to find what i need.

Macbook+3dMArk06+9400 gives some results
    Macbook+late 2008+3dMark06 gives me others
    Aluminum Macbook+3dmark06 gives me other again.

Also, because the computer is so new and not everyon have got theirs 2 days after release, I have been searching at least once a day for the last week.

My point is, if they called it the Alubook and the Alubook Pro (just as an example), it would be so much easier. Next revision could be something as simple as Alubook Pro v2 ect.

It's not really a problem, but it would have saved me some time the last week.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused how using specific names could make identification any easier. The current "Early/Late" format clearly illustrates what generation the computer belongs to. Quite frankly with the OS, a lot people don't know the difference between Leopard, Tiger, Panther, etc. They can't remember the order because it's confusing to people.