All iPads Apple needs to step up the functionality of the iPad so it can replace the MacBook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aluminum213, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Mar 16, 2012
    The form factor is almost perfect with the iPad, just need to include some actual uses to it besides just relying on iPad apps

I'm talking about being able to actually download files from the web on the iPad onto iTunes, USB connection...
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    You're talking about two completely different devices. The iPad is not a notebook computer, and cannot do everything that a notebook can do. It runs a completely different operating system, has completely different hardware configuration, and has limitations that prevent it from being able to handle many of the more advanced tasks that a notebook can handle. Why on earth would Apple want to kill a profitable notebook business by creating overlap between the tablet and notebook? Fortunately, they're too intelligent to do such a thing.
  3. zhenya macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2005
    The iPad isn't intended to replace a laptop computer wholesale. It is a complementary device that is slowly evolving into taking over for computers bit by bit. It won't happen overnight, and to try to make it do so would ruin it. (See the Microsoft Surface Pro)...

Also there are plenty of ways to download files to an iPad. A straight-up USB port we will never see, so don't hold your breath.
  4. gotluck, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

gotluck macrumors 603

Dec 8, 2011
    East Central Florida
    There are many iPad apps that communicate well over SMB wirelessly with windows machines. That was the straw that pushed me over the edge.

Documents by Readdle & Nplayer pretty much save the iPad for me.

When the jailbreak is out you can pretty much do whatever you want. Even USB OTG (through camera connection kit) has worked on previous jailbroken ipads.
  5. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2013
    I agree with that, but I don't think it was ever meant to replace a laptop.

They should allow us to save files on our ipad so we don't have to rely on something like Dropbox or Google drive. Yesterday I tried to see if I could upload a word file to my school's scholar site, and I could only choose photos from my camera roll.
  6. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2010
    Fundementally, a tablet is a hand held device designed to work with a touch UI. A Laptop is designed to work with keyboard and trackpad interface. They are very different devices that overlap somewhat in functionality.

Hybrids (Laptops with touch screens or Tablets with attached keyboards) are trying to find a market, but it is a tough proposition, since fundementally different UIs require different operating systems and hardware. So far, these hybrids have largely confused customers with a hot mess of options that don't particularly do anything well.

Eventually, these form factors might merge into something useful and compelling to consumers, but it will probably require compromise of wieght, portability, battery life, cost, etc.. However, with so much content pushed to the cloud, there is less reason for a single hybrid device, since folks can access their information seamlessly on multiple devices.
  7. ditzy macrumors 68000

Sep 28, 2007
    You do realise that Apple doesn't want the iPad to replace the MacBook.
  8. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Feb 24, 2013
    Why would Apple merge 2 product categories by bringing the iPad into line with the MacBook, then they would only sell 1 to a consumer. Rather than currently people will buy a MacBook for work and an ipad for play/productivity

They'd lose money
  9. Bengy66 macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    It's pretty clear that you might get half your wish in near future. My personal opinion is that with an IPad Air now you will see an IPad Pro in the future. Maybe keypad cover, iWork built in functionality, and the 32 GB entry level pricing.
  10. Macalway macrumors 68020

Aug 7, 2013
    It's an interesting idea.

I imagine we will see some netbookish options down the road
  11. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Mar 16, 2012
    Apples business is close to nothing with iMac and the MacBook continues to shrink
  12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    With Apple still selling over 1 million Macs per month, it is hardly "close to nothing".
  13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

Nov 22, 2011
    East Coast USA
    eventually, maybe 5-10 years. laptop sales will continue to fall while mobile devices mainly tablets will continue to rise.
  14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

May 18, 2009
    Um, that's kind of OP's point. He wants the ipad to be as functional as a notebook computer.

While I agree that it would cannibalize Macbook sales, I don't think that is the main reason why they exclude these features.

Also, I don't see any point in being anti-progression simply to fit the status quo that a corporation set.